HeadDownGirl

VortexII vs Teardrop Viper

Yes, I am the one who was asking about two non TSO'd brands of rigs. And I decided to choose a well-known manufacturer and TSO'd rig. Yes, I have read all the reviews here more than once :) and my final decision is either Vortex II or Teardrop Viper. I can't yet decide between these two, that's why I am also writing this post here.
I tried Viper before and it was far the most comfortable rig ever. And as a student jumper I tried a variety of different rigs. (But unfortunately no Vortex because no one I know is jumping it) I also like the pop out reserve concept at Viper. The only 'minus' is the price. For that price I can, if I get a Vortex, buy also a canopy. But, on the other hand, this will probably be my rig till the end, so it is a good idea to invest in it.
Any opinions, suggestions, experiences?

The vortex and the teardrop are both good containers.

The Vortex is basically a South African copy of a Javelin. (Nothing wrong with that). The TSE teardrop is also a decent product although less common in the states.

Both are TSO'd, so no problem using in the states. (I believe they are covered by bilateral airworthiness agreements)

Both will somewhat suffer from similar problems if you need parts around the world. It may take a extra couple of weeks to get replacement parts if your not local.

The pop top design on the Teardrop is well tested but the RSL design is a little different from most other rigs.

Based upon this and the previous question it may be more pertinent to provide info on what country you reside in.

Teardrop reserves are easier to pack.

Vortex reserves are more difficult to pack because their side flaps are shorter than Javelin side flaps. When your Vortex is due for a reserve inspection, take it to the local rigger who has packed the most Javelins ... packed Javelins in the most pretty, manner.

I will admit to bias here since the VortexII is manufactured in my city, but it would be my choice
They are very comon in SA and in particular the newer containers with some of the bells and whistles like extra padding are very comfortable
I have seen one where the reserve had not been packed well and the reserve pilot chute cap was creating a snag hazard but this is not the norm

Packing any rig requires unique skills.
For example, when packing Vortex your rigger should already be good at closing tight containers. During my last rigger course, we failed a candidate because of poor bulk distribution, in a tight Vortex. He did not put any of the reserve canopy bulk above the closing loop.

OTOH Pop-Top reserves (Racer, Reflex, Teardrop, etc.) require special tools and techniques. I started with steel T-Bodkins, but now I only use ghost-loops (hint: ghost-loops are free from the Racer factory). If you are packing Teardrops, then make your own ghost-loop (singular) with a half metre of Cypres cord and an old Maillion Rapide (or any other lump of scrap iron).
Teardrops are the easiest Pop-Tops to close, partly because they only have one loop, one cutter, one ripcord pin, etc.

Out of those two I'd probably go for the Vortex. Mostly because I owned one for a while and although it wasn't the greatest rig on the market IMHO, it was built fairly well and worked. I can't say I'd chose to buy a Teardrop, mostly due to the god awful RSL design (unless the Viper is different?) and the fact that the pop tops have been known to loosen off unless they're packed perfectly. But the truth is I'd rather stump up the extra cash for a Vector3/Javelin/Icon/Wings/Mirage/etc.

I've packed both - neither is really that difficult to pack and make look good.

The RSL design on the Teardrop is a little strange because its different from the type used on many other rigs but it works and haven't seen any incidents what are attributed to this not working. Trying to think of modern containers "in production" that have reserve pins against the jumpers body (Racer, Teardrop....) Both have different RSL setups to most of the others.

Pop tops may loosen up but so does virtually any other rig as the reserve pack job settles. Remedying on a teardrop is incredibly simple 5 minute job. Other rigs involve more work. Either way your rigger should be able to do a decent pack job on either. If he can't find someone that can.

The Vortex is cheaper than the Javelin and pretty well works the same as javelin/wings etc.

No problems with the build quality on either of them.

That being said if it were me I'd probably stump the extra cash for Javelin, Vector, Wings, Infinity, Talon ... which are more common worldwide. Well tested products that you'll have little problems using around the world.

I know that the choice of these two is interesting sincethey are totally different, but... I jumped viper before and liked it because it was very comfortable and fit very well on my back. A lot of people I was talking to, recommend Vortex and the price is also ok. My third choice was Infinity but I am a very short person and Infinity rigs are somehow 'long' so it won't either look or fit well on me. (I guess so)

Hi Head,

I am a very short person and Infinity rigs are somehow 'long' so it won't either look or fit well on me.

Actually, you could not be more wrong. I was over there earlier this year and they were building a rig for a girl under 5 ft tall.

Drop them a line and they will tell you about the very-short rig.

IMO VSE is one company that tries very hard to build a rig for any type of customer. Well, maybe not the crazies. :P

JerryBaumchen

JerryBaumchen

IMO VSE is one company that tries very hard to build a rig for any type of customer. Well, maybe not the crazies. :P

JerryBaumchen

Dunno about that, Jerry.

They built Felix's rig, didn't they? :)

And I have to say that Kelly and the crew there are wonderful to work with. They did a very nice job building mine a couple years ago. I'd get another in a heartbeat if I needed to.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo