misskriss

Too risky for mommy?

I think every parent on here has been through this, but I don't think it's just parents either. Perhaps all of us at one time or other. I have two children, 10 and 6, and debated long and hard with myself about jumping. Honestly, I still do from time-to-time. Like when Merrick (my husband since I think you're new here) broke his leg last year at Quincy. There is nothing like having someone come looking for you, just after you see an ambulance leave and you 'just know' who it's for, then duck her head before giving you 'the news'. I swear I about collapsed there and then before I found out it was just his leg. I seriously reconsidered everything. But I will never stop him from actually living his life, and doing what he loves. And after everything, my kids understand that. Merrick's dad passed away when he was 8 from leukemia. He had done some work as a stuntman before that! It wasn't his daring that got him. Then my mom nearly died a year ago, completely out of the blue, from a stroke that tore up some major arteries. She's the most cautious person I know. The list goes on and on of people I've known that died or nearly died no matter how safe they were. Then there's the crazy a$$ jumper who was legend around our DZ who did things I'd never even consider, EVER, who died in a car accident.
Basically, it's a personal decision. I still wonder from time-to-time if it's wrong, but it is what it is. Those who love me understand...even my mom understands now :) She even came around so much she bought my brother a tandem! If you do it, just be as safe as you can be...just as you do when you drive or anything else in your life :)
(PS...scuba diving, from what I understand, is a fairly dangerous sport also...even more so then skydiving I hear - I personally don't do it so don't know much about it - but you don't hear about people getting flack from that. It's mostly a lack of knowledge about the sport and the concept itself of 'getting out of a perfectly good airplane' that makes people react as they do.)
Closing pin necklaces!

Go with it! If you don't, you may regret it later in life when you can't do it anymore because of physical limitations or whatever.
My mom is 47ish and she is going to do a tandem next time I visit her in Colorado. I just hope she likes it as much as you do.
Kudos to you for doing something for yourself!! :)I salute you.
JumpinDuo.com...come and sign the guestbook.

Mountainman
Oh, how true! I agree, do it now, because you might regret it later. I wish I would have done it a lot sooner than I did. Good for your Mom, she (hopefully) will love the tandem. Then, do you think she would go as far as to take AFF?
J
"Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened!"

You need to try the Jedei mind trick on Mom...
But really, I heard the same thing from my 3 year olds grandparents and they gave his mother the same shit for horseback riding (she has 2 Arabs). Though his mother and I seldom agree on anything else, we do agree we need our past times to make us safe for the rest of the world. The more you are loving life and actualizing the more you have to give to those around you... Spread the love from above!
-Hixxx
"Sous ma tub, Dr. Suess ma tub" :S