HeadDownGirl

SkyWideSystems Fire and Avalon

The following may relate to Avalon

http://www.avalonskydive.com/site/

and fire may relate to

http://sws.aero/en/products/fire/harness/

However it does not appear to be TSO'd which may limit its use in the states.

Generally I would stick to the well known manufacturers as they reliable well tested and established products.

HeadDownGirl

The problem is not in finding a website but some user reviews

Regardless of what reviews may say.... buying a rig with no local support is like buying an orphaned* rig. Getting parts and support is going to be expensive and likely painful. Caveat Emptor

* When a manufacturer goes out of business, but rigs remain in service.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I thought this had been discussed before - The rig is make in Ukraine (The are no bilateral airworthiness agreements or FAA Field offices in Ukraine) and there is no way that it can get a FAA TSO, if that's where its being made.

Therefore they can test it to the TSO standards or anything more stringent BUT if the paperwork is not done then it is not TSO'd.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4464387;search_string=ukraine%20%2B%20TSO;#4464387

skytribe

I thought this had been discussed before - The rig is make in Ukraine (The are no bilateral airworthiness agreements or FAA Field offices in Ukraine) and there is no way that it can get a FAA TSO, if that's where its being made.

Therefore they can test it to the TSO standards or anything more stringent BUT if the paperwork is not done then it is not TSO'd.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4464387;search_string=ukraine%20%2B%20TSO;#4464387

So in practical terms, what does this mean? I can't get on a load in the USA wearing one of their rigs?

Hi Glide,

it MAY be TSO'ed

As indicated above in a post and in one of the links in another post; it is not possible to obtain TSO-authorization in Ukraine.

Just a little word-smithing to show that it has been tested to the TSO standard. That is not the same as having been issued a TSO-authorization.

I do know that they are working on obtaining a TSO-authorization at this time.

JerryBaumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi Glide,

it MAY be TSO'ed

As indicated above in a post and in one of the links in another post; it is not possible to obtain TSO-authorization in Ukraine.

Just a little word-smithing to show that it has been tested to the TSO standard. That is not the same as having been issued a TSO-authorization.

I do know that they are working on obtaining a TSO-authorization at this time.

JerryBaumchen

Any idea how long that process takes?

JerryBaumchen

Hi Ilyosha,

They are the ones doing the work towards this.

I cannot know how long they think it will take.

JerryBaumchen

Jerry,

They do not at this time hold a TSO of any kind.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

mjosparky

***Hi Ilyosha,

They are the ones doing the work towards this.

I cannot know how long they think it will take.

JerryBaumchen

Jerry,

They do not at this time hold a TSO of any kind.

Sparky
How old is that Micheal, it still list RWS as holding the TSO, I thought UPT dropped everything RWS and switched completely. If so would they not also need to have the TSO listed?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Just looking at the list and you can see that names and addresses are just way out of date.

To get back to the original question - I don't believe either of these manufacturers make bad gear (Nothing to support that). Neither manufacturer holds a TSO - which can cause problems depending upon where you jump and could result in problems finding spare parts if you happen to need them or getting support.

skytribe

Just looking at the list and you can see that names and addresses are just way out of date.

To get back to the original question - I don't believe either of these manufacturers make bad gear (Nothing to support that). Neither manufacturer holds a TSO - which can cause problems depending upon where you jump and could result in problems finding spare parts if you happen to need them or getting support.

Here, in the europe atleast SWS holds some sort of market share and people actually buy those rigs... So yeah, not a bad rig..

Hi Blis,

So yeah, not a bad rig..

Alexey and I exchange emails probably about once a week. I would not know him if he walked up to me and said 'Hi.'

From merely corresponding with him, he seems like a quite nice guy. I have 'heard' from others that he makes a rather good rig; standard of workmanship & fit.

And he offers the RAX System MARD, to that makes him a good guy in my book. :P

JerryBaumchen

How old is that Micheal, it still list RWS as holding the TSO, I thought UPT dropped everything RWS and switched completely. If so would they not also need to have the TSO listed?

It is about 2 days old. But like Jerry said you are dealing with the FAA.
I don’t know how Bill has his business/s set up, but the TSO’s were issued to RWS. If he re-tests under one of the newer TSO’s he could get the TSO in the new name. I have attached a couple of TSO Authorization letters.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hi Mike,

I don’t know how Bill has his business/s set up, but the TSO’s were issued to RWS. If he re-tests under one of the newer TSO’s he could get the TSO in the new name.

From my personal discussions with the Seattle ACO, there are a couple of ways of doing it.

1. RWS could have licensed their TSO-authorization to UPT. UPT would then have to make an application for a new TSO-authorization but it would be under C23b as the original.

2. UPT could merely purchase everything from RWS. UPT would then have to make an application for a new TSO-authorization but it would be under C23b as the original.

I 'understand' that #2 is how Peregrine Mfg obtained the TSO-authorization from Altico. I understand ( I do not actually know ) that Peregrine may placard their equipment as The Uninsured Altitude Company, or whatever it's official name was when Mike Furry obtained his TSO-authorization.

While the parachute industry may look at this as somewhat odd, it a very normal thing within the aviation industry for other devices that require TSO-authorization.

That's my $0.02 on it,

JerryBaumchen