dpreguy

Advisory Circular

As a designee I just received an Advisory Circular Update AFS 800 Notification regarding sport parachuting, informing me there is a new AC dated Dec 4, 2013. This notification states (my edit) there are/is info/suggestions contained in AC 105-2e on
. Jumpers
. Riggers
. Parachute equipment
. 'On airport' ops
. Parachute rigging
. Jump pilots
. Aircraft with removable or modified doors.

Then the notification says the content of this AC 105e is not available. Does anyone have the content of this Dec 4th Advisory Circular? I'd like to read it.

b)
Any parachute jumping demonstration planned in conjunction with a public aviation event will require a COA with appropriate special provisions as required by §105.21,

even if the landing area exceeds the maximum dimensions for a Level I area. A parachute jumping demonstration planned in conjunction with a public aviation event is one that takes place any time after the first spectator arrives for the event that day

There goes jumping into fly in's without having papers now. Also could effect dz's on airports that decide to host an event, this could derail or even stop some businesses for events on airports they have nothing to do with, as it currently reads.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Here is the old one that is the only way to know what changed is to read it, helps to know the old one so U can spot with ease the changes...

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/1019204

I find it interesting that makes note of the AC 5300-13 airport design and layouts... in ref to parachute landing areas on airports>>>>

We have been only been waiting now for 3.5 years for the PLA crap... remember that, PLA study? So that has not been finalized nor any notes on the revised 5300-13 regarding LZ's. Makes me wonder if in the next days or weeks if we will ever see that PLA crap released.

(side note but related to these changes in AC 105E)

Feds been holding up any part 13 informal complaints, starting back in 2010... and they started the PLA study. (see attached letter) they told all the regional offices nation wide to not rule on some cases.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

How to interpret this line from the top of page 4, in the section 5, about AADs?

Each parachute manufacturer approves the installation of the AAD on their equipment.

Not long ago I sent out compatibility questions to several container manufacturers asking about Mars M2 AADs. Some manufacturers indicated it wasn't their place to approve or disapprove of specific AADs in their containers. They leave it up to the end user and rigger to make such decisions. Are these manufacturers now required to make a decision?

also, from page 15 of this AC 105-2E:

A retrofit installation, or installation of a make or model AAD other than those specifically authorized for use by the parachute manufacturer for a particular TSO or Military Specifications (MIL-SPEC)-approved parachute, constitutes an alteration to that parachute (see paragraph 16).