wecksell

Ozone cleaning a rigg

Got a rigg in from a customer, who brought it in a humid location, thought it would be a good idea to put it in a plastic bag for some time, not sure how long, but long enough for it to start smelling bad. So it still smells bad even after drying it. I haven't tried cleaning yet with water or anything, but thought of a noter solution. I recently learned about ozone machines, the kill organic material. So what if I open the rigg up a little bit and put it in a room with this machine, I'm certain it will stop smelling, BUT, will it damage or weaken the rigg in some way? Anyone have experience or knowledge about this?

Googling the subject, I do get a few pages of information, like this one: http://www.nachi.org/ozone-generator-hazards.htm
It states that excess usage can damage synthetic material and plastic, but my plan is not to use it excessive, and how much is excessive to be precise?

My next step is to ask the manufacturer about this.

Hi wecksell,

usage can damage synthetic material and plastic

I am no expert in any of this type of stuff.

But I thought of the quote above before I even read it.

I seem to remember reading 'something' a very long time ago about ozone attacking composite materials; plastic, MDS, polycarbonate, etc.

I seriously doubt any mfr would condone its usage.

But keep us posted,

JerryBaumchen

PS) You could get some small samples of composite material and run some tests.

If a main is part of the problem, try hooking it up to a different rig and jumping it -- all that extra air might make the difference. If so, then inflating the reserve indoors with some fans might do the same thing for it, obviating the need for more strenuous measures.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wecksell

Got a rigg in from a customer, who brought it in a humid location, thought it would be a good idea to put it in a plastic bag for some time, not sure how long, but long enough for it to start smelling bad. So it still smells bad even after drying it. I haven't tried cleaning yet with water or anything, but thought of a noter solution. I recently learned about ozone machines, the kill organic material. So what if I open the rigg up a little bit and put it in a room with this machine, I'm certain it will stop smelling, BUT, will it damage or weaken the rigg in some way? Anyone have experience or knowledge about this?

As an owner I'd want final say in whether my rigger used a non-traditional approach in dealing with my equipment.
I'd be furious if he'd guessed at something that might potentially degrade the materials.

You can't make the choice for them to be a test subject.

As an owner I'd want final say in whether my rigger used a non-traditional approach in dealing with my equipment.
I'd be furious if he'd guessed at something that might potentially degrade the materials.

+1
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Stephen Hawking

Years ago I worked at a fish hatchery that used ozone to disinfect the water supply. Rubber parts on cars parked near the ozone generator suffered very rapid deterioration because of the waste gas released to the atmosphere. I don't think I'd opt for ozone treatment of my rig...
My Dad used to ask me if someone jumped off a bridge would I do that too? No, but if they jumped out of an airplane, that's a different question...