Spiffycop

Vector micron w/ pulse 170 for a first rig?? Yes or no?

I'm just shy of my A license but I'm looking for a rig. I'm 5'10" 160lbs. I found a 2011 vector micron v310 that'll accept up to a 170 pulse canopy. Thus far, I'm not having any issues with flying the 230 canopy I've been renting. I know that a 170 is quiet a bit smaller but that was the size suggested to me by my dz. granted they were referring to the saber 2 170 not the pulse.
Is a Micron ok to have for a first rig? I'm also a bit nervousness about the seller of it (it's in the classifides). The price seems good but they've not given me a phone number. I'd really like to speak to someone before I PayPal them over a grand.
I could use some wisdom.

Spiffycop

The price seems good but they've not given me a phone number. I'd really like to speak to someone before I PayPal them over a grand.
I could use some wisdom.

Use somebody as an escrow agent. It they won't agree to this then pass.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

A grand? For a 2011 rig, and reserve i presume? Sounds quite cheap. BTW what IS the reserve you're looking at?

I think this rig is too small for you if you're looking for a 170 main as a v310 will hold a 150 main as FULL you will not be happy packing a pulse 170 in that as a beginner packer (I presume).
More importantly the reserve will have to be much smaller than your main to be able to pack it at all: a regular fit would be a 140 sqft at its biggest, that is 1 1/2 size smaller than the main.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Per vector's web site, it'll fit a (full fitting) pulse 170. Yes I'm new, that's why I'm asking. As far as a reserve, I honestly don't know. I reckon the largest one I can fit in there. The whole deal is likely too good to be true though. So, it may not matter anyway

I know what the vector website says, a full fitting means it'll fit in there but is a b**** to pack pardon my language. You are not advised to put 2 full-fitting canopies in one rig as that is even worse to pack, will potentially damage the rig (I've damaged main bags, closing flaps etc this way myself), and the whole thing will most likely feel like a brick on your back as well.

Hence my comment that you will likely not be happy packing the pulse 170 in there yourself, at least not until you're a proficient packer. Also you are not advised to put a full-fitting reserve in it too so it's a 140ish reserve max, which seems too small for you ATM.

If i were you, I'd figure out what size reserve you need, then what size main, and after that, a rig that's fits both these canopies. This one seems at least a size too small, IMO.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

What is your exit weight?

If your stated "160 lbs" is "stepping out of the shower" weight, then your "street clothes" weight will be a bit over that and exit weight (how much you weigh with all your gear on) will be well above it. Probably 185-195.

Which would put you at ~1.:15 W/L.

I would think that would be a bit much. If you look in "Swooping & Canopy Control", there's a sticky that is Brian Germain's W/L chart. It's a good read.

There's nothing wrong with a Micron for a first rig, other than that it won't fit a big enough canopy.

And search "Rigger as Escrow" for the suggested purchase procedure.
Short version:
Seller ships it to an agreed upon 3rd party for inspection.
Inspector ok's it.
You send money to seller
Seller tells inspector to release rig to you.

Scammers won't agree to this because it's impossible to scam. Some of the smaller dealers won't either, but they usually have a good reputation.

If you are concerned about a scam (and a rig like that for that low of a price does raise some red flags), post a link to the ad and get some opinions.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You are going at it backwards. Figure out what canopies you want and buy a container to fit. You should be on a main canopy around the 190 sq. ft. range. But that’s just my opinion.

Whatever you buy it’s not a good deal if it is the wrong gear.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

As a vector dealer, I must tell you that UPT (and I) suggest you should never put two full fitting canopies in the same rig.

Too many people assume that when they need to use their reserve it will be after they cut away the main. When the main is out of the pack tray it relieves pressure on the reserve pack tray making it easier for the reserve to be extracted from the container.

What happens when you're burning towards the earth at full terminal speed and discover you can't get your main pilot chute out, so you have to go to your reserve? Hopefully you won't panic and be able to remain calm and not lose stability.

Do a search on here about reserves that would not come out of the container - some pretty interesting reading to say the least.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Spiffycop

Thanks. That's good to hear.

Please don't make this the one thing you take away from this thread.

People including a dealer and the manuf. say not to put 2 full fitting canopies in one rig, the 160 reserve would still be very small for you, and the 170 main may be as well.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

It's not. I'm 99% certain it's someone trying to scam anyway. As far as canopy sizes, my dz instructors say that I should be fine with a 170. A 230 is the smallest thing I've jumped mainly, because that's the smallest thing they have to rent. It's pretty easy to pilot. Granted, all I'm doing is landing it. I'm realize the smaller the canopy, the quicker it's going to get me to the ground and there's less room for mistakes. I personally am not to worried about a 170 but then again I've never flown one. It's not like there's a canopy simulator. That I know of anyway. That would be pretty awesome tho. Hmmm?

Spiffy,

I was in a similar range to you - flew 220s by the end of my time as a student. I opted for a Pulse 210 and an Opt 193 reserve in a V350.

No kidding about the full fitting description - the main is tough to pack in, even though it's a hybrid canopy. If I could do it again, I'd probably go for a slightly bigger container, but as it is now, I can pack it reasonably well and I love the pulse.

As for sizing the main, I wouldn't have started on a 170 from the 220s if someone gave me the canopy. I just finished the B-lic canopy course and was one of the guys who was standing up each landing without any problems. Some of the others were on canopies that were smaller and they were all over the place with flare timing, dumping themselves on the ground. I got comments from some of them about how I was making it look easy. Not once did I get ragged on for flying a boat, and I'm doubting anyone even noticed how big my main was.

Personally, I really like my 210 and don't think I'm going to downsize anytime soon. I love canopy flight and the larger sized pulse lets me float a lot longer than everyone else. I am usually the last one to land. In fact, I have to talk to the TIs on each load to let them know I'll be in the area and have no issues with staying out of their way. I figure I'm paying $25 either way, so I might as well get the most of it.

I have a Vector III 347 with a Pulse 170 main and PDR 160 reserve (this is a full main fit with a normal reserve fit). I have no trouble packing the main; then again I had 200+ jumps of packing my own parachute when I got the container.

However, I would not recommend getting this combo -- It is tight, and I actually had to go back and get a slightly larger PC to pull the bag off my back subterminal. Made for a couple exciting jumps. If I were ordering the rig again, I would have sized up the container and gotten the normal-normal fit.

Great rig though.

I've had no issues deploying the main subterminal with the full/normal fit combo, but I'm now questioning how reserve extraction would be with this setup. I'm assuming your comment about needing the larger PC is for the main. I am up for a repack soon and plan on going over this with my rigger and asking him to do a little testing.

Yes it was for the main. I talked to UPT and went from a 27" F111 to a 30" ZP.

And I had the exact same thoughts on reserve extraction - the reason that if I were doing it again I would go for a normal-normal fit.

Also, note I'm jumping out of a 182 - so a little slower jump run speed than some planes. If I waited about 5 seconds before pitching I had no issues with the main coming off my back. I also never had any problems at terminal. That said - pitching subterminal, feeling no bag lifting off your back, and then looking over your shoulder to see the main PC dragging behind you for a couple seconds isn't my idea of a fun day at the DZ - which is why I went to a larger main PC.