corpkid

I wear glasses - full face or not?

I will start by saying I hate goggles over my glasses. They fog when not in the air, etc. Especially in the tunnel when I'm sweating like a pig in the chamber waiting for next go 'round.

I've been really looking at the cookie g3 as I would not have to wear goggles, and hear it doesn't fog. Ski goggles are a nightmare for me by the way, even with cat crap all over them. I run hot. LOL Is there any DIS-advantage to wearing a full face if you wear glasses, etc? Just looking for feedback.

Thanks!
d

I wear glasses too and have a G3. I recently did some jumps in below freezing temps and was stressing out about fog + freezing = losing visibility (I don't have an audible yet). My experience was: no problem at all in freefall, and ok-ish under canopy after I applied the anti-fog thingy on the visor (the visor did fog up under canopy without the antifog). With the antifog I could technically keep the visor down, but I usually just lift it anyway. My glasses fog up just after landing, which is super annoying :)
I didn't have any problems in tunnel whatsoever, but I usually don't wear glasses in the tunnel - I can see a few feet in front of me.
I will be getting an audible though, just in case this one time everything just fogs up..

agaace

I wear glasses too and have a G3. I recently did some jumps in below freezing temps and was stressing out about fog + freezing = losing visibility (I don't have an audible yet). My experience was: no problem at all in freefall, and ok-ish under canopy after I applied the anti-fog thingy on the visor (the visor did fog up under canopy without the antifog). With the antifog I could technically keep the visor down, but I usually just lift it anyway. My glasses fog up just after landing, which is super annoying :)
I didn't have any problems in tunnel whatsoever, but I usually don't wear glasses in the tunnel - I can see a few feet in front of me.
I will be getting an audible though, just in case this one time everything just fogs up..

Before this goes ANY further, an audible is just a backup tool. If you lose altitude awareness you open. Relying on your audible because your visor or glasses fogged is a bad idea.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

I have spent most of my skydiving career obsessively pressing over-the-eyeglasses goggles on my face and getting nervous any time they fluttered slightly. Lost my glasses in freefall on my 26th jump so I had reason to be nervous. For years I've been looking for a full face helmet that wouldn't press my glasses into my head. First one I found was the Cookie G2. Bought it a couple of years ago and it works great. The curved visor is the key. Has fogged up minimally when I open but clears quick. Usually I lift the visor under canopy anyway. Visibility is excellent. Sometimes I have to touch the visor in freefall to remind me that it is on and secure because it's like it isn't even there. I miss wearing a frap hat sometimes, but the security I feel with the full face is totally worth it. One less thing to worry about in freefall when you have plenty of important things to focus on.

I wear glasses, they are untreated and they fog up super easy (even when going indoors from outside). I jump in england in the winter where its pretty cold. my G3 with the mouthpeice insert has changed my skydiving life :)
never steam up during free fall and i just flip the visor open under canopy.
great solution that works perfectly for me.
get a g3 you wont regret it.
have fun :)

I wear glasses and had the same problems you do which a full-face took care of. I do miss the wind in my face but I hated goggles over my glasses and I don't wear contacts.

The only disadvantage I've noticed is less peripheral vision than with an open face.

The biggest thing I would say is to try on as many models and sizes as you can (the sizes are NOT equal). I have a weird shaped head and it took a few different models before I found one that would work.

mcordell

Before this goes ANY further, an audible is just a backup tool. If you lose altitude awareness you open. Relying on your audible because your visor or glasses fogged is a bad idea.

Of course I would pull if I couldn't see and of course it's a backup for more peace of mind - if it wasn't a backup and I RELIED on one, I wouldn't be jumping without one in the first place.

agaace

Of course I would pull if I couldn't see and of course it's a backup for more peace of mind - if it wasn't a backup and I RELIED on one, I wouldn't be jumping without one in the first place.

Fine...ONLY if you're In the Air with Others!!!! be DAmn sure to do a good strong WAVE... before you Pull :o
especially if there are ALOT of "others"... ANd if you're way above track off altitude...

I've been wearing prescription eyeglasses Only, on my jumps for decades..... no goggles or full face... sport strap holds the glasses together and any sort of helmet/frap hat keeps the whole set-up ON my head... I always have a back-up pair in my gear bag though... just in case.;)... I cannot speak with authority about full face helmets...:|
jmy
A 3914
D 12122

I've gone the goggles route and full face...and my preference is hands down a full face. With glasses helmet fit is key as it can get uncomfortable. I prefer the G3.

My vision is not so bad that I can't jump without glasses. Often, I've jumped in just my liquids and an open face. I've given some thought (not pulled the trigger yet) on obtaining prescription liquids. You may want to consider this option as well.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm looking into prescription sport goggles. Figure I could use them for skiing as well as those goggles also cause me all sorts of problems. I can't stand contacts and have tried to wear them several times and it's been a nightmare. I have very sensitive eyes and the contacts turn them all red and puffy and it just sucks. Gave up on those. Lasik is something I'm thinking of doing, though my eye doctor told me to hold off as they are about to start a new technology where they put temporary contact like lenses fused to your cornea. They can remove them later if your eyesight changes (and I have a complicated astigmatism so lasik isn't even guaranteed to fix it totally). I like the feeling of the wind rushing on my face and the "open" feeling of an open face helmet, so I think the prescription goggles are the way to go (and so says my instructor).