sdigital

Helmet Advice - Visor Helmet Users?

So I currently have a Bonehead Carbon Fiber open face helmet (which I currently have for sale as well but another story)

I'm looking to make a switch to a visor helmet.

I don't like the ones where your mouth is covered, I am looking at some of the styles that look like an open face but have a visor that comes down.

My question is, are these types of helmets conducive to RW? How good of a wind shield do they provide being they don't have the bottom covered?

This is coming from a person that feels that people that skydive with sunglasses instead of sealing goggles are crazy.
Thanks in advance for your advice!

I am using my G3 almost exclusively. Hate to sound like an ad for the company, but it's been a no problem solution to a lot of problems.

In every possible way this thing has been better than inventing sliced bread.

And I have no doubt that in the next few years almost everyone will have one.

I am soo tired of all of my goggles rubber bands stretching too much. I am soo tired of my wrap arounds' fogging up.

And they have done nothing but raise the bar as far as RW is concerned. There is a big difference in abilities since the 90's when the first full face helmets started to appear.

It's too bad, however that so many have found a nice hard mounting surface to stick cameras on though. The manufacturers have taken the hint that you can actually design a helmet with the camera inside and make it almost non-noticeable and totally enclosed. But no one wants to spend the cash to design the molds considering the margins these guys are working with. So don't delude yourself when you see manufacturers designing outside mounts, it's strictly making money for them. Other than that, I hope to see the day when goggles and sunglasses are banned.

C

I don't really understand the comment about covering your mouth, all of the better visor helmets cover your mouth. If your speaking about that piece of shit Benny helmet that has that half visor that comes down, then I feel sorry for ya! It shouldn't be used in skydiving, great for low budget sci fi movies perhaps. So if your asking about those half shield types, your just wasting your money.
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

sdigital

I don't like the ones where your mouth is covered, I am looking at some of the styles that look like an open face but have a visor that comes down.

Are you talking about things like the Gaths?

Then no, not (in my opinion at least) good for RW, though you see freeflyers use them a lot more. The wind from underneath may or may not bother you (it does me) but I think the visors wouldn't take the punishment.

And there will be punishment B|

[edit: You will look badass while it's brand new though.]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Joellercoaster

***I don't like the ones where your mouth is covered, I am looking at some of the styles that look like an open face but have a visor that comes down.

Are you talking about things like the Gaths?

Then no, not (in my opinion at least) good for RW, though you see freeflyers use them a lot more. The wind from underneath may or may not bother you (it does me) but I think the visors wouldn't take the punishment.

And there will be punishment B|

[edit: You will look badass while it's brand new though.]

Thanks for covering my back joeller, that Gath RV is a piece of shit that should be banned. Not only does it channel the air into your eyballs causing them to water up it offers little to no protection, well what skydiving helmet does, anyways the RV Retractable Visor just plain old doesn't work. It is a perfect example of a manufacturers marketing over reason and common sense. What a death trap to stick on your head. Absolutely no wind protection either with the visor up or down. I can't think of a more useless thing to wear.

C

And yes I'm being kind in my choice of words describing this thing...

I've seen plenty folks who primarily fly angle/headdown who enjoy wearing the helmet and are certainly heads up enough to throw the thing in the trash if all it did was funnel air into their eyes.

It's not my cup of tea but calling it a useless deathtrap is a bit over the top.

excaza

I've seen plenty folks who primarily fly angle/headdown who enjoy wearing the helmet and are certainly heads up enough to throw the thing in the trash if all it did was funnel air into their eyes.

It's not my cup of tea but calling it a useless deathtrap is a bit over the top.

And they of course are wearing glasses or goggles underneath this Gath RV, Correct??

Please how many out ther jump a Gath RV without additional eye protection????

C

nuf said....

But no one wants to spend the cash to design the molds considering the margins these guys are working with.

They'd be happy to design the molds if the camera manufacturers didn't change the camera dimensions every year.

There is a big difference in abilities since the 90's when the first full face helmets started to appear.

The introduction of wind tunnels and high level coaching (ie Airspeed camps) had way more to do with that than what kind of helmets they were wearing.

Other than that, I hope to see the day when goggles and sunglasses are banned.

I hope that never happens. Some of us like the wind in our face and don't mind having to replace goggles.

See, the reason why I ask is because I do like the wind in my face.

I'm looking to replace my helmet with one with the OPTION of a visor. I guess I have to do a full face then... Can you run the G3 without the facemask easily or is it a whole process?

I had also seen some Bonehead military style one, its supposedly some $500 version that had an open mouth (half-visor) but the whole reason why I asked is because these Gath's seem like they are pointless so thank you for saving me from another mistake.

sdigital

I'm looking to replace my helmet with one with the OPTION of a visor. I guess I have to do a full face then... Can you run the G3 without the facemask easily or is it a whole process?

All you need is a screwdriver to remove the visor. (Phillips head IIRC but I'm not home to look at my helmet). B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

ChrisD

I am using my G3 almost exclusively. Hate to sound like an ad for the company, but it's been a no problem solution to a lot of problems.

In every possible way this thing has been better than inventing sliced bread.

And I have no doubt that in the next few years almost everyone will have one.

I am soo tired of all of my goggles rubber bands stretching too much. I am soo tired of my wrap arounds' fogging up.

And they have done nothing but raise the bar as far as RW is concerned. There is a big difference in abilities since the 90's when the first full face helmets started to appear.

It's too bad, however that so many have found a nice hard mounting surface to stick cameras on though. The manufacturers have taken the hint that you can actually design a helmet with the camera inside and make it almost non-noticeable and totally enclosed. But no one wants to spend the cash to design the molds considering the margins these guys are working with. So don't delude yourself when you see manufacturers designing outside mounts, it's strictly making money for them. Other than that, I hope to see the day when goggles and sunglasses are banned.

C

I don't really understand the comment about covering your mouth, all of the better visor helmets cover your mouth. If your speaking about that piece of shit Benny helmet that has that half visor that comes down, then I feel sorry for ya! It shouldn't be used in skydiving, great for low budget sci fi movies perhaps. So if your asking about those half shield types, your just wasting your money.

Why on earth would goggles and sunglasses ever be banned? That makes no sense.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

skybytch

There is a big difference in abilities since the 90's when the first full face helmets started to appear.

The introduction of wind tunnels and high level coaching (ie Airspeed camps) had way more to do with that than what kind of helmets they were wearing.

You mean to say correlation causation?

I dunno, personally I found that my skillz increased exponentially when I got my G2. I've been afraid to get a G3 for fear of leaving my teammates in the dust. ;):D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thank yo for stating the obvious. ;)

But goggles and sunglasses do fail. This is my point if you can get past my brevity and rhetoric. :)
I do, as well enjoy sunglasses with a tight set of those croaky things on occasion.

But mentioning RW in the same sentence, yes I do believe that full face helmets are safer. And just as many get very militant about really large formations and taking the time to pull down your slider will get you banned. The idea that there are a hundred others in close proximity and YOU want to take the time to take your eyes off traffic???

Full face and RW save your teeth and the fact that I have seen a shitload of RW fails because of goggles coming loose and being dislodged, yes in this respect you will see the day no one in 4 way competitions and large RW formations using goggles and sunglasses. B|

C

thanks for the clarification....

And yes there is some truth to the fact about the molds thing, BUT this is an excuse, an over used and tired excuse non the less...

I have it on good authority a Go pro bubble on a helmet like the injection molded type will cost over 150,000. US. Just for a new mold.

It's just that its soo easy to ignore the snag hazard thing....

Recognize an excuse when you see it, it still isn't a justification for the way things are at current....

Everyone is playing Russian roulette with Go-Pros, there will be a death. Someone will pay for this complacency, I just hope it isn't you! Or one of our friends....

My question is, are these types of helmets conducive to RW? How good of a wind shield do they provide being they don't have the bottom covered?

Generally speaking, people wear full face helmets for RW to give them protection from getting kicked in the face not protection from the wind ;)

If you jump a closed face helmet you might get over the claustrophobia (at least I did after a couple of weekends of jumping).

Don't believe the hype on the G2/3. Since they hit the market they HAVE had issues that prove they are mere mortals, not this mythical super helmet some trollishly claim.

For one, they have had fogging problems (mostly solved with inserts for the g2 and a different design for the g3).

They have had visor issues with a laminate/sealing film cracking/coming off. Cookie sends out new lenses in that case and changed their manufacturing process to prevent it in the future, so kudos to them for having good customer service.

But just because it looks like a space helmet doesn't mean it's not of this world.

It's just trendy and if you want to be cool you need to conform or else someone might make a superficial judgement about you based on the crap you wear and you might not get invited on the cool jumps :o:o:o:P

it's not a bad helmet, but I don't have one... that's because i have a contrarian streak that rejects conformity no matter how trivial :P

...which is why I would wear my bootie suit on a beach jump B|

If you go with a full face helmet - without the visor - you will still be giving yourself a greater degree of chin and jaw protection than you get with an open face helmet.

I've never regretted going full face with visor, especially after a few kicks in the nose region.

I thought I would really miss the wind on my face, but I don't miss it as much as I expected.

Boneahed Revolve (or the new Revolve 2, which looks sick!) might seem the obvious answer.
Full Visor on for RW jumps and good protection from kicks in your face; completely remove the visor when you want to fun jump alone and feel the wind in your face.
I think the price to pay is a slightly bulkier and heavier helmet compared to G3, but people that have them usually love both. They are two very respected helmets.

Probably my next helmet will be a REv2 unless something totally awesome comes out between now and when I'll need it.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

sdigital

WOWIE,

The non-conformist and claustraphobic in me are REALLY pushing me towards that Rev2. Looks so much nicer than the Rev1!!!

I know, it looks fantastic and although not much is known at this time (there is a preview thread here on DZ somewhere, that's about the most information you'll find around), if it's as good as the REv1, it will be a kick-ass helmet. And I agree that the REv1 looked kind of goofy, while this screams badass.

Just for the sake of it, scroll some C6 Air images from skysystem:
https://www.google.com/search?q=C6+Air&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gn-eUp_WDIuAygHHrICAAw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=954
I wouldn't buy at this point because they're having a patent litigation and they don't know when they'll be able to resume (start?) production, so far only prototypes have been around, plus the visor is more "conventional", which is not a problem to me but probably it is to you; however if we are talking only about look, that thing looks totally like Space Marine ScyFy shit, wicked awesome. If you're not in a rush for a full face helmet, it might be another option to keep in mind, if they start shipping soon (they're under a lot of fire right now, coming from all the customers that pre-ordered and aren't receiving their helmets because of aforementioned legal issues, which apparently are "almost" resolved... "almost" being the key word here)
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

excaza

***I have it on good authority a Go pro bubble on a helmet like the injection molded type will cost over 150,000. US. Just for a new mold.

No way. I can get a machine and a mold for that.

Then talk with Cookie, cause obvliviously you know more than his company,....:S
C

It's my understanding that EVERY MONDAY , TUEESDAY AND WENDSDAY THIS ENTIRE SUMMER PEPPERELL WAS OPEN WHEN ALL OTHERS WERE CLOSED???? (Jumpable days) In New England, or are you going to insist otherwise just to insist otherwise. I had more than a few people keep track of loads and days open. Pepperell was open frequently just for one load on some Mondays. When everyone at SNE was sleeping Pepperell was jumpin. I'm not sure what planet your from, but your lack of real knowledge is astounding and all I can gather is misleading by intention. 150,000. for a custom injection multi piece mold is astronomically cheep. So if in fact you can get a mold for less you can be an innovator and game changer but I suspect your just speaking, or rather just making shit up again.

I also know for a fact that the majority of wind tunnels don't allow half face helmets to be used WITHOUT goggles underneath. And if your going to continue to spout shit about how Gath RV helmets are used without goggles, well that tells me not only are you intentionally misleading other well meaning people by design, it tells me that you haven't used one either. I have used a Gath RV and your fucking nuts to use one without goggles or shades. You only make that mistake once.