Absolut

Safire 2 lower brake lines

Hi guys,
i got a quick question, sry if this was already discussed, didn't find anything with the search function: i'm currently jumping a Safire 2 139 sqft loaded at 1.4 and it got around 250 jumps on the original line set. I've heard that you need to replace the lower brake lines more often, approx twice as often as the other lines, and that you don't really see when vectran lines wear. Is it too early to get a change of the lower break lines or should I do it. I don't want them to break in a bad situation! Cheers and blue skies

If the lower steering lines are excessively fuzzy, or the ends of the finger traps are starting to show, consider replacing them. If they have fuzzed out, they can be difficult to stow, release after deployment, or the excess diameter can make it difficult to pull the line through the guide ring. This a general guide, and you should contact your rigger if you are concerned.
"I love when humans fly,"

As long as we are on the subject ...

Is there any issue with using different types of lines for the lowers? Say a rigger didn't have the Vectran. Could he use Dacron instead? (Not that he would, just hypothetical,)
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

SansSuit

As long as we are on the subject ...

Is there any issue with using different types of lines for the lowers? Say a rigger didn't have the Vectran. Could he use Dacron instead? (Not that he would, just hypothetical,)

no issues at all. Germain used to have Spectra lines with vectran steering on his canopies for a bit, then went to all Vectran.

some people prefer to change out the steering lines on the all-HMA Katanas to Vectran, etc, etc.

I wouldn't recommend dacron for steering lines though, too bulky, and too high maintenance with no real benefit.

likestojump

***As long as we are on the subject ...

no issues at all. Germain used to have Spectra lines with vectran steering on his canopies for a bit, then went to all Vectran.

some people prefer to change out the steering lines on the all-HMA Katanas to Vectran, etc, etc.

I wouldn't recommend dacron for steering lines though, too bulky, and too high maintenance with no real benefit.

I replaced my Vectran lower steering lines (just from the brake setting to toggle) with some 600lb Dacron and haven't had any issue. Slightly thicker but are showing absolutely no wear yet.

But yeah, it comes down to what the rigger feels comfortable with. I think that any new line is far better than a ratty line that's on its last leg.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

My older Nitron came that way... HMA suspension lines and upper control lines with Dacron lowers IIRC. It does make it slightly more difficult to pull the slider over the toggles than my previous one which I want to say had Vectran lowers. I have to find a picture of it to be sure though.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080