wicodefly

Replace visor or Discard Oxygyn

I have one of these for the last 40 or 50 jumps: http://www.skysystemsusa.com/portfolio/oxygn

From the very first day the little rubber strip that goes around the visor started to come off. Glued it back on a couple times and it was okay, but rubbing it up and down when opening and closing would break it again. Hated messing with it in an aircraft...

The reason I bought it was because it gave me the greatest field of vision of the helmets I tried on.

Anyway, today probably due to messing with it, the visor broke off during a bellow RW jump here in the winter. Fortunately it wasn't too cold!

So, my questions, should I replace the visor? Is it even worth it with the known problems with this company's helmet? Or just get someone else?

Any recommendations/opinions other than a Cooke G3? I tried one on and wasn't crazy about it but I could try one again if there are good reasons to do so.

Thanks!
Chance favors the prepared mind.

1. Replace the visor, visors are cheaper than helmets and if you actually like what you have, why change?

2. If you are thinking of something else more modern that isn't the G3, try the Phantom X. MrsCoaster went from an Oxygn she'd had for about 10 years to a Phantom X and has been very pleased.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Joellercoaster

1. Replace the visor, visors are cheaper than helmets and if you actually like what you have, why change?

2. If you are thinking of something else more modern that isn't the G3, try the Phantom X. MrsCoaster went from an Oxygn she'd had for about 10 years to a Phantom X and has been very pleased.

+1

I have a Oxygn and a Phantom. I got the Oxygn when I first started because I wanted a full face and got a good deal on one. I didn't even wear it that much because it was a pain to use. I got a Phantom the other week and it is awesome. Easy to use and a nice field of view.

You can prevent the Oxygn's rubber gasket from coming off by lubricating it periodically with a little plumber's grease. You don't want a lot, just enough to let it glide. Plumber's grease doesn't cause deterioration in rubber.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thanks for all the helpful advice. As you can tell, I'm new at this sport and didn't even realize that the Oxygn is an older design.

I don't live too far away from Paragear (who are awesome by the way when you stop by), so I will go down there and try some newer designs like the Phantom on.

The point about the G3 is well taken. I will give it another chance and make sure I try on a well-fitting one.

Live and learn :)

As an aside, when the visor came off was in a round with another jumper setting up for some RW). I thought my whole helmet was about to fly off (felt a lot of air coming at my face and thought maybe I hadn't tightened the velcro all the way). Then the visor just ripped off.

Also, thanks for the tip on the plumber's grease!

I've had my Oxygn A3 since 2006; I'm on my second lens. The first one came off in freefall in 2009. I open it all the time (but, as I said, I grease the rubber gasket, and make sure it's closed well every time I put it on).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thanks again. I am going to get a second, more modern helmet for sure. Thanks to everyone for their opinions.

The people from SkySystems (who make the helmet) contacted me today as a response to an inquiry on their website and are sending me a replacement visor at no cost. That's pretty stand-up of them.

I have an Oxygn, I bought it used and it's serving me well, after I replaced the visor with a new one (don't bother with old ones, really not worth it, a new one costs $30, just go for it).
I keep it clean with those scuba anti-defogging spray (not recommended by mfgs, but in New England even a new visor will fog/freeze, so I need the extra protection), I don't open it since it doesn't fog too badly if I take those couple of precautions (breath through the nose and out of the mouth, people think I'm hyperventilating LOL, but really, I'm just "defogging" my helmet!) and keep the visor clean.
When I'll have the money in a few years and I'll have the rest of the gear I need (who said you need a rig to skydive?), I'll go for either a G3 or a REv2, for now I'm quite happy with my Oxygn.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Remster

***Look at the jumpers at this link. Note what helmet they favor. Size is CRITICAL for this helmet. You can't do a fair evaluation of this helmet unless you have tried the correct size.

http://uspanationals.com/2013teams/formation-skydiving/open/

Quite a few of those teams are sponsored by Cookie.

Pish posh. I'm sure they just coincidentally held their helmets with the logo prominently displayed. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Look at the jumpers at this link. Note what helmet they favor

Eh, jumpers at that level are often sponsored.... So I have been told.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

BTW, if you decide to get rid of it, you can always give it to someone who's willing to replace the face shield. They'll love getting a new (to them) helmet so cheap :D

Wendy P.

I've had my Oxygen helmet for many years now. I did initially experience issues with visor. After replacing it twice in a relatively short period of time, I removed it completely and opted for wearing well fitted sunglasses instead.
End result: zero problems.
As a matter of fact Doug Parks offered to sell me a new helmet a few years back at a very nice price. I asked him instead to reline the old one :)I just couldn't part with all the stickers on it B|
The helmet is still holding just fine.

Padalcek - CCO, HF-17
http://www.theflyinghellfish.com
I'm not a real skydiver - but I do play one on dz.com.