SkydiveMonkey

Doing a Tandem after getting experienced

We're getting a new TM at out DZ and the CCI wants an experienced skydiver to do a tandem with her for a check out dive and I've volenteered for it. Has anyone else done this? What's it like relying on someone else to be in full control and not going for the pull yourself?
There's no tomorrow - you ain't gonna live it for me - The Offspring

I've done it. I had about 250 jumps at the time. It wasn't the greatest, to be honest. Firstly, being that 'close' to a tandem master whom I knew well enough to have lost that 'He's a skygod!' factor was a bit gross. But the main thing was the harness was really, really uncomfortable. Comparted to my lil Javelin, I guess that's no surprise...
Apart from that, it was just a bit boring actually...Drilling a hole and not being able to move myself. I guess it was a bit like being in a straight-jacket...I wanted to DO stuff with my freefall, to move around, but I had no control...

It scared the bejeezus out of me! Sitting in the plane without a rig, depending on someone else to pull... It just wasn't right!

I have to agree with you. It scares the shit out of me too to think about doing atandem now (after just 24 jumps.) I would hate to be on the plane without my own rig on my back.
I think once we got strapped together, then I would feel more comfortable. Just along for the free ride without doing anyhing would be a trip!

I did one at Skydive Illinois about a month ago. Skymedic did one at Chicagland two weeks ago. Fallingoman did one at Archway yesterday.
They're fun. It's a bit weird not having your own rig in the airplane. You'll repeatedly find yourself doing handle checks and panicking because you don't have any. Tandems are fun - just another skydive. You don't really need to do anything special - just arch... In freefall you can do some leg turns, some tracking, etc. Two people tracking can get some serious speed going...
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

I've done 3 "check out" jumps. On my first one, I was told my the evaluator to keep my knees in my chest until the drogue was out because this would force the "intructor" to "get very big" which he had a problem doing. I'm not sure if I was supposed to, but I let him know EXACTLY what I was going to be doing so he expected it. The others were for a good friend of mine and we just went out and had some fun.
It is VERY wierd not having a rig on, getting "hooked up", and getting to the door, but all in all, they were pretty fun. Plus they should be free for you (the person getting the rating should cover the slot) and you don't have to pack after the jump.
Mark
Mark Klingelhoefer

Like Andy said, I did one yesterday...jump number 197 or so. I actually pulled the ripcord...and you get your own cutaway and reserve handles. You are able to save your own butt if necessary. I thought it was fun. John and I got some serious spirals going under that huge canopy!
I think it was interesting cuz i was thinking about very different things that the last time I did a tandem!
Anne

>depending on someone else to pull...
Nope.... the entire point of recurrency jumps with an experienced jumper as the student is if the instructor is unable to perform the pull/landing sequence the other jumper can at least try to land them properly. Have the TM go over the handle locations (yes, there are more then one) and the dive sequence. This way if there is an emergency and you are still in freefall 1000-1500 feet under the designated pull altitude... you have an option to pull. You can see if you can talk the TM into letting you pull the Ripcord if you've never done a ripcord pull just to get a case of beer out of you too.....
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

I have only done one tandem as a passenger when I was getting my tandem rating. The JM I went with was very experienced and I learned much from him about the comfort of the student and so on, that I use everytime I do a Tandem to this day. It was a wierd sensation to not have my own rig on but I trusted the JM (Raff) tremendously. When I had to take several experienced passengers to get my rating I know most of them were not thrilled with it all that much.
Sebazz........

Actually I was referring to Steve who has been jumpin for god knows how long. Yup Steve Rafferty who happens to be out there some where on the right coast right now. I think Maryland? Maybe the name "Raff" is synonymous with shit hot customer service skills and loves jumping no matter what?
Sebazz........

I did one for a friend once; but I HATED not having on a rig during the plane ride. The jump was fun, mainly because he is a close friend and we had another close friend fly video.
I wouldn't like to do it again. It was too wierd not having my own gear and not being in control.

Never done a tandem myself, but I've heard some cool stories about that kinda thing (from the people that did em). One friend of mine went up with a TM that needed recurrency. They left the plane at 14K, deployed the drogue at 7K, and tumbled for fun in between. They got it on video. It's supposed to be pretty wild but i never got the chance to see it.
I heard from another TM about a jump he did years ago... A tandem 2 (or is it 4?) way RW jump. No drogues either. He said he considers it about the stupidest tandem jump he's ever done. He's done some stupider non-tandem jumps though. :)Dave
http://www.skydivingmovies.com

Did one for my 200th (other half had recently got tandem rating, so I thought it would be a laff).
It's horrid not having a rig on in the plane. It's horrid not having any checks to do (well I checked my chest strap). It's horrid, not being I control of the exit - you just dangle there.
The harness is so uncomfy compared to your own snug rig. The shoulder straps feel like the will just slip off - so I had did my chest strap wey too tigh!!
Could not breath in freefall (cos chest strap so tight), nearly puked and was actualy in a lot of pain. Very releaved at deployment.
Was lovely to chat & even have a quick kiss under canopy tho :)Good fun, glad I did it, but would not rate it. I would do it again if it was free.
I think the chest strap (my fault) spoilt it a bit :D