ECVZZ

The job that ate my brain!!

Today my job whupped my ass! It fried my brain and ate it for lunch >:(!! 10 million miles of wiring and wiring schematics to find 2 problems...DAMN!!! WHATUP WIDATT???
I'm currently practicing "would you like to try the big and tasty today?" and "would you like hot or mild sauce?". Although, a job in a pizza joint, with free beer is currently my dream, I'd settle for anything that doesn't fry my brain regularly. What do you do for work?
G. Jones
"Most people don't know what they're doing, and a lot of them are really good at it."

I sell houses. 10 million pages of contracts and disclosures, just for a house. Yeah, What's Up With That? LOL
I actually adore what I do. Yes, it's hard. Yes, it's time consumptive. but to help a person find the home they really want to drive up to every night, and then hand them the keys at the end of a long haul, man, that's the best feeling. Makes me grin.
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
If you really want to, you can seize the day; if you really want to, you can fly away...
~enya~

I'm in software. I'm the only person who manages, codes, debugs, architechts, tests, and designs a software program, consisting of over 200 java classes and close to half a million lines of code.
My brain hurts every day. I need a vacation, but can't since I'm the only one that can fix things.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

I sell stuff. It's cool stuff, trust me. You want some of the stuff I sell. Actually you want damn near all the stuff I sell. You know you do.
I also order stuff, answer phones, reply to emails, shoot rubber bands and water pistols at my coworkers, sign checks, post on dropzone.com, check the snail mail, sexually harass my male coworkers and customers, and a bunch of other things that are extremely important.
pull & flare,
lisa
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda sez

After lunch I do nothing... and get paid well for it. I pretend to pay attention in meetings but don't. I pretend to be working while I'm actually surfing or IM'ing... the kicker is my boss does less then me most the time.
Before lunch I work my ass of running on Code Red or Pepsi doing computer things... You name it and I can dabble in it in a computer. Hardware, software, coding, networking, and even some low level chip designing (living with a EE for 2 years teaches you things)....
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

After lunch I do nothing... and get paid well for it. I pretend to pay attention in meetings but don't. I pretend to be working while I'm actually surfing or IM'ing... the kicker is my boss does less then me most the time.

This soooo has "Office Space" written all over it! :)"...so basically I do just enough to not get fired Bob"
Classic movie! Wife and I own the DVD.
"This is the 4th time I've been late for work this week!!...and it's only Tuesday!" ...Cheech and Chong

I work for a metropolitan newspaper on the copy desk. That means I work ungodly hours editing stories and just generally getting the paper together. I write headlines, fix errors, smooth prose, etc. etc. Sometimes I man the wires, meaning I watch for news happening, and pick stories to go in the paper.
I also read dz.com but people don't post much at night. :(

I get stuck at a firehouse for 24 hours...where we are not allowed to leave...except when called out by one of the local crack whores, drunks, or drug addicts...who then want to kick the crap out of you when you take there high away....
or you walk into a million dollar home for the man with chest pain and the wife asks you to please remove your shoes before coming in...as she doesn't want the carpet dirty...
or you get to the hospital and the nurses complain because you didn't get that third IV in the burn pt that is crisped down to there bones....and you tell em your lucky ya got an ET tube in em.....
yeah...my job is a TON of fun.....
Cheers
marc
Come a little closer and i'll butter your popcorn

Lisa, I want TWO of everything you sell :D, wanna trade jobs?? No shit woman...I'm serious. And don't stall or try to negotiate (Michele will help me there ;)) or I'll take the offer at Round table! :D:D
It's good to know that I'm not the only one who comes home with a headache. Phree - I know about the EE's, I deal with them regularly at CAT service engineering. They can be (as a whole) some of the most intelligent, yet dim witted people on the planet! Usually well meaning and nice though!
G. Jones
"Most people don't know what they're doing, and a lot of them are really good at it."

I have a really cool job as a social worker at Arkansas Children's Hospital, usually in the ER, but sometimes all around the hospital. We deal with families whenever there's a level 1 or 2 trauma, a death, abuse, psych in the ER. Sometimes we help people find food and shelter while kids are in our hospital. When kids smoke in their rooms....social work. I like my job.
you can live in happiness too, like the oompa loompa dooba de do....

Skymedic, I have all the respect in the world for you and the job you do, Thank you!! Some 20 years ago I was an EMT-1A with Goodhew Paramedic, in Riverside, CA..I worked with a Paramedic (EMT-3) on a MICU and had 1 on, 1off- 1 on,1 off- 1on, 2 off, and it sucked! I'd never do it again in this lifetime, although it was quite an experience. Thank you again for all you do !!
G. Jones

I work EMS in Orlando. No stations, just stuck in an ambulance for 14 hours a day. Tourist capital of the world(?), I have to communicate with people who don't have the most basic understanding of English. And, just to top it off, the land of the Rat is overflowing with homeless, winos, and druggies. But I love my job and wouldn't trade it for anything!
Work sucks. Let's skydive!

>What do you do for work?
I surf the Net and read DZ.com. Oh yeah, I also update the web-pages of "Provincial state office of Southern Finland" for about 30min / day. My clueless co-workers seem to think I work really hard since I'm staring at the screen all day...
My job sucks big fat monkey dicks. I'm glad my contract expires in September.

Brian and Medic, I was born and raised 50 mi. N. of Gainesville, on hwy 19 (Cross City). Actually was born at North Fla Regional in Gainesville...no hospital in C.C.
G. Jones

I work for a company that, among other things, sells virtual reality games. The virtual reality centers are located in theme parks across the country. So basically I assistant manage one of these things. Since we are perpetually understaffed I usually end up on the sales floor trying to set an example for the employees. Occasionally we have enough people that I get to manage, which basically entails fixing the games, doing paperwork, teaching my employees how to sell better, searching for reasons to fire the shift manager, sitting in the cafeteria, and wandering the park talking to my friends.
--
Brian

Kreg, you are correct, Gainesville is E. of C.C.- N. of Otter Creek. Great area to grow up in, lots of hunting & fishing. And anything else you wanted to do for that matter. Colder than a well diggers ass in winter though!
G. Jones

Up until very recently.
Five years of production management in a heavy fabrication industry.
Five years of dealing with militant unionists who hate you on principle.
Five years of motivating people who do not see why they need to work to be paid.
Five years of having 20-25% of your workforce as ex-cons and another 50% on their way.
The surprise of having one of your best people arrested for raping his own daughter. The shock of having him out of jail and back at work in 3 months.
The wagers taken as to how many of your people will be shot or stabbed over the Christmas holidays.
The 'joys' of firing somebody.
The wonders of the 13hr day, seven day week with no time to skydive.
The five or six belly laughs I get every day.
The wonders of teaching a forty year old man how to read and do basic arithmatic.
The happines you feel when the team, fucked up as they are, does well.
Arranging a job for some old guys son, on his retirement day.
Coaching a youngster from toilet cleaner to artisan.
and so on and so on.
I hated my job / I loved my job.
I never struggled to get out of bed in the mornings though.:D
Ok enough ranting.
Skymedic will know what I am on about, I am sure.;)
He has met the boys from the Cape flats:o
I wish the real world
would just stop hassling me
~~~matchbox20

I'm the administrative assistant for a social service agency. You'd think i'd have alot of work to do, but I figure i work about 4 hours a week for the 40 hours i'm here. I spend most of my time on the internet IMing and surfing. I've been known to lay my head down and take naps at my desk, I paint my nails, do my bills, I go to the office downstairs and chat with my friend down there. This job could easily be cut down to a part time position but i'm not gonna tell anyone that.
"And to those who have seen it, it's a true work of art"