Chelseaflies

Which is better for a A Licensed jumper, a jumpsuit or freefly pants and jacket?

I'm looking into buying some of my very first gear soon and the first thing I want to get is a jumpsuit. But after looking into it, I'm starting to think I'd rather have the versatility of freefly pants and jacket. I'm also trying to slow my fall rate so would wings on the jacket help?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

if anything buy a one piece suit - they fly a lot better and last longer (that elastic on the jacket will fray and loosen in a season) . This goes especially if you plan on doing any tunnel time. Other than that most manufacturers will tailor a loose fitting suit for you if you tell them (liquid has that option). Also dont rely entirely on the fabric for your fall rate - that is only a part of fall rate control. I'm roughly 190lbs and ordered a med. cut suit with double layered legs to make things easier .. It cost some $$ but the investment was worth it.

Chelseaflies

I'm looking into buying some of my very first gear soon and the first thing I want to get is a jumpsuit. But after looking into it, I'm starting to think I'd rather have the versatility of freefly pants and jacket. I'm also trying to slow my fall rate so would wings on the jacket help?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

It's probably not the input you are looking for, but I really believe people should spend time learning on their relative work skills before moving onto freefly. With that in mind I would suggest a decent fitting RW suit - there's no need for it to be new.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

meh, you can do basic RW in a freefly suit but dumping money into a suit with big grippers and booties that is just going to sit in the gear bag really isn't a good use of money for someone that wants to freefly

I agree people should be competent in the basics but buying a dedicated suit for it is a bit much if that not what you really want to do.

A properly fitted 1-piece freefly suit really makes all the difference IMO. Start with something cheaper in the medium drag range until you figure out your fall-rate... then after you beat it up on landings and packing buy a spiffy one tailored to your range and all the bells & whistles you skipped the first time.

Remember, you are going to absolutely punish your early suits... plan accordingly. Some DZ's have old suits laying around, you can always borrow those or ask around... people who have been around a while usually have a bunch of old gear at home. ;)

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I agree people should be competent in the basics but buying a dedicated suit for it is a bit much if that not what you really want to do.

At 27 jumps... how can the OP know what they 'really want to do' ?

I agree getting strong in the basics is the first step, and doing that requires the use of good purpose built gear, jumped consistently.

Ya don't put a student on a VX because they 'may' want to swoop eventually. ;)

A used RW suit can be had pretty cheap & it's something that will serve well for quite a while...at least until one gain enough basic skill & experience to intelligently decide what they 'really' want to do.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Remember, you are going to absolutely punish your early suits... plan accordingly.

I bought a brand new RW suit from Bev when I got my A. I'm still using it and it's in great condition. The only repairs I've needed were patches to the toes of the booties.
Owned by Remi #?

At 27 jumps... how can the OP know what they 'really want to do' ?

Why not? Plenty of people know what crowd they're going to fall in with right off the bat... After all, I can't say I see many belly flyers with tats, gauged ears, wearing DC shoes, etc... :P

I bought a brand new RW suit from Bev when I got my A. I'm still using it and it's in great condition. The only repairs I've needed were patches to the toes of the booties.

Well, I hope you at least wash it occasionally... :D
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Why not? Plenty of people know what crowd they're going to fall in with right off the bat... After all, I can't say I see many belly flyers with tats, gauged ears, wearing DC shoes, etc...

Haven't jumped in Texas huh? :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

Why not? Plenty of people know what crowd they're going to fall in with right off the bat... After all, I can't say I see many belly flyers with tats, gauged ears, wearing DC shoes, etc...

Haven't jumped in Texas huh? :P

I was gonna say "Haven't met Vader, huh?" :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke