mcordell

no D lines

I was discussing gear with another jumper (who has been around for a while) and we were talking about one of my rigs that has a main with no D lines and it got me wondering, how many canopies were made this way? Were there very many at all? I love the way it flies and flares so I dont see any disadvantage to the design
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

I should add mine. Its a quantum joule 180. It was my moms and I never got to jump with her but I jump her main since thats as close as I can get. It is old but only had about 50 jumps on it when she quit jumping. Its the one in my avatar picture

My S.O.S. reserve was made by Parachutes de France in 1986. It only has A, B and C-lines. The steering lines are daisy-chianed to the connector links.
The politest thing I can say about if that it flies better than a round reserve.

Some of the GQ Security canopies lacked D-lines, but that factory closed in 1984.

Hi Mike,

This is a little off topic, but since we are talking about 'strange' canopies, Para-Flite ( as I recall ) had a canopy where the 'A' lines were cascaded onto themselves rather than the 'B' lines being cascaded into the 'A' lines. They continued this throughout the canopy; the 'B' lines cascaded onto themselves, etc.

The name eludes me,

JerryBaumchen

JerryBaumchen

This is a little off topic, but since we are talking about 'strange' canopies, Para-Flite ( as I recall ) had a canopy where the 'A' lines were cascaded onto themselves rather than the 'B' lines being cascaded into the 'A' lines.

I know the Evolution was like that.
Dunno about others. Cascading was across the span not across the chord. Also, cascading hit every chamber not every second. So when pro packing there might be 10 A lines on each side.

Combining that cascading with separate A and B risers, you could pull on the A riser and thus A lines only , and easily fold the nose under, causing the canopy to spin around. Lots of fun up high, but I guess you wouldn't want to accidentally yank a front riser down low, forgetting what canopy you were under.

(I've still got a Super Evolution 140 I once picked up.)

mcordell

Now that you mentioned paraflite it occurs to me the stratoflyer had no d lines...but also 7 cells

Para-Flite's first square reserve was the Safety-Flyer, q small (150?), 5-cell that flared like a bag-lock. Hence the "Nylon Hammer" nickname. It also had a funky steering system that baffles modern riggers.

Para-Flite's second square reserve was the Safety-Star, a 180 square foot, 5-cell adapted from thier Strato-Star main. I made hundreds of jumps on my Strato-Star Main.

Para-Flite's third square reserve was the 180 square foot, 5-cell Swift, which sold by the thousands and was even built under license in South Africa.

riggerrob

My S.O.S. reserve was made by Parachutes de France in 1986. It only has A, B and C-lines. The steering lines are daisy-chianed to the connector links.
The politest thing I can say about if that it flies better than a round reserve.

Huh, I edited a funny CRW video once, with a SOS reserve in flight starting at 1:05 click
I didn't even notice there were some lines "missing" :$B|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

So how are these canopies designed? Are the A, B and C line attachment points spread further apart to equally space them, to compensate for missing D lines? Or are they in the same place as usual, and there's just no support where the D lines would normally be?

Boogers

So how are these canopies designed? Are the A, B and C line attachment points spread further apart to equally space them, to compensate for missing D lines? Or are they in the same place as usual, and there's just no support where the D lines would normally be?

Here's a picture

mcordell

***So how are these canopies designed? Are the A, B and C line attachment points spread further apart to equally space them, to compensate for missing D lines? Or are they in the same place as usual, and there's just no support where the D lines would normally be?

Here's a picture

The B and C lines are farther aft, to compensate for the lack of D lines ... like the end cells on Stilettos.

riggerrob

The B and C lines are farther aft, to compensate for the lack of D lines ... like the end cells on Stilettos.

Thanks, RiggerRob.

And I thought my Triathalon was weird for not having the brake lines attached to the rear corners... It just don't look right when you open and look up at it - I keep thinking: "Why is there no line there, did that line snap?"

I guess this no-D-line design reduces packing bulk somewhat, as well as air drag for the speedsters. But it seems like it would also put additional load on the remaining A-B-C lines. Does it cause them to break more often or sooner?

Boogers

***The B and C lines are farther aft, to compensate for the lack of D lines ... like the end cells on Stilettos.

Thanks, RiggerRob.

And I thought my Triathalon was weird for not having the brake lines attached to the rear corners... It just don't look right when you open and look up at it - I keep thinking: "Why is there no line there, did that line snap?"

Sounds like you have the 4.0 line-set on your Triathlon. Supposedly the stabilizers do a good enough job of holding the rear corners in correct trim. And Aerodyne says that moving all the steering lines farther inboard improves responsiveness.

Boogers

I guess this no-D-line design reduces packing bulk somewhat, as well as air drag for the speedsters. But it seems like it would also put additional load on the remaining A-B-C lines. Does it cause them to break more often or sooner?

As far as I know, reducing the number of chordwise lines is actually a bad thing in terms of load distribution to the canopy. The fewer lines you have, the bigger the gap between them and the bigger the bulge upwards in the wing as there is less to support it. So at a certain point you will offset any reduction in line drag with a decrease in canopy efficiency.

That could all be rubbish by the way, best to ask RiggerLee.