scottbre

SCR? SCS? etc...

I have heard of these things and some of the award cerimonies for some of them, but I don't actually know what they are. Could someone fill me in on this? If there are any other specific accomplishments that are recognized, mention those too, and any "rituals" that might follow them.
Thanks. :)Turn off the world before you come to bed.

SCR = Star Crest Recipient. Be in on a freeflown (no grip exit) 8 way or larger star.
SCS = Star Crest Soloist. Dock eighth or later on a freeflown 8 way or larger star.
WSCR = Women's Star Crest Recipient. Same as above except all 8 must be female.
WSCS = Women's Star Crest Soloist. Same as above except the first 8 must be female. Guys can earn this one if they dock 9th or later on it.
The Texas folk have some great award rituals...
pull & flare,
lisa
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda sez

SCR and SCS you mean?
SCR is a Star Crest Recipient. Good bull fun skydiving award, but as I found out, it seems that only old time skydivers and DZs in Texas give a shit about this anymore. Personally, I think its a great tradition that proves to be fun for all involved.
To get it you have to build an 8 way or larger round with out launching with grips. After that there is a ceremony that involved having a case of beer poured on the maggot and atleast one more case of beer to be drunk by all. Only those who have a SCR can do the pouring. The ceremony is cool, but I'm not going to map it out for ya, just do it and find out. :)SCS is a SCR that you close 8th or later on, no ceremony for that one.
There are a few variations and different SCR awards, there's a CReW SCR, a Night SCR, a Hoop SCR (fly through a hoop before you make the BFR), a Womens SCR and a couple others I think.
This is the sort of stuff that helps bring low jumpers into the community to stay, generally jumpers get this around 50 jumps or so. :)Aerials
So up high
When you free your lives (the) eternal prize

Ok, so a "star" is the same as a "round" then?

6. First time being the base (target:)

So this would mean I got my SCR right? Of course i don't know whether the 8 people who were in the formation were actually a closed round, because they might have kept it open for the other 10 people who were trying to get to the formation. So if that is the case, then this doesn't count right? Not a big deal, but I was just curious as to whether I inadvertantly got a SCR and didn't even realize it at the time.
:)Turn off the world before you come to bed.

Sorry, but it doesn't sound like it by your description. The dive has to go as planned. 18 way, 18 have to get in the dive organized. It must be a star (round) at least for one of the points.
Keep trying, and good luck.
SKYDIVING GAVE ME A REASON TO LIVE....

To my knowledge it doesn't have to be perfect, you just have to have 8 jumpers in a round who freeflew the exit. It doesn't matter if there were 400 people on the dive and only 8 made it. Now, if someone was on the dive and didn't make it in, they can't claim the title.
Atleast this is my understanding of a SCR...
Aerials
So up high
When you free your lives (the) eternal prize

SCR SCS NSCR WSCR etc. constitute a Memorial
in honor of Bob Buquor, a pioneering freefall cinematographer
of the late 60's. I think he was located on the west coast. As I remember there were not very many such awards available to jumpers in the mid 70's so the SCR was popular... We would make SCR dives out of two C182's, or out of a beech 18, We had a DZ nearby that flew a radial engine DeHaviland Beaver,,(slow climber, but IT CARRIED 10 !!!!!) and so in the mid 70's I and many of my friends earned the awards....As I recalled, it was always the case,
that the formation needed to be fully complete (100%) for THAT skydive to qualify anyone for an award.......A nine way
or a ten way, would then give the chance for 2 or 3 people to earn the SCS...(close 8th or later),,,,I was on a jump with 9 friends in the summer of '76 which qualified many of us for the SCR... We were pleasantly surprised when we each recieved a special Red White and Blue "Bi-Centennial SCR Patch", as well as the traditional Red Black and Yellow One....Our Night SCR was in celebration of a friends 1000th jump, we squeezed 5 in the wide body 182, 4 in the chase plane, exited at 10,500 and
built complete, by 6 grand....a truly electric 9 man night star... ( 8 of the 9 jumpers earned NSCR on that memorable dive, in July of 1981)
Application forms are usually printed in the various jumping
magazines and newspapers....So pack your rig,, grab some friends, get on the manifest,, and join in.....
jt SCR 6190 SCS 4876 NSCR 1817...

Just recieved this email and attachment from Bill Newell who is the administrator of the Scr program. He is the one who sends out the awards:Dear Star Crest member,

"Attached is a message we would like to get to as many Star Crest members as possible. Since we have a limited amount of recipient's e-mail addresses, we request that you read this message and forward it to as many Star Crest members as possible. The attachment is safe.
Thanks, and blue skies.

Bill Newell
Administrator, BBMSC"

Ok that attachment didn't work let me just copy & Paste it!!
How many of you remember that it was the SCR awards that helped our sport evolve from mainly style and accuracy jumping to the era of RW? It wasn’t so long ago that we were treated as stepchildren by the USPA establishment. Only after we got the ball rolling did USPA jump on the bandwagon and allow RW into competition. Once USPA saw the Star Crest’s mass appeal, it came out with a watered down version (the Falcon/Eagle awards).
If you haven’t heard much about the Star Crest awards in awhile, it's because we’re receiving very little publicity from the skydiving community. The magazines won’t print most of our press releases because they say they’re too commercial, or that no one is interested in Star Crest awards any more. And most DZ’s are too concerned with running a business to promote an award program not affiliated with USPA.
As a result, some older members think we’ve gone under, and newer skydivers often don’t have a clue that Star Crest awards even exist. This form of censorship will eventually choke the Star Crest brotherhood to death, due to loss of income. Without it, we cannot afford to promote, innovate, advertise or expand.
Keeping up with changing trends, we’ve added 3 new free style (vertical) awards. The new designs are complete, but we still need publicity to spread the word. With reduced income, we can’t afford to
advertise the patches & decals to get these awards off the ground.
This letter is a request for support from you and other Star Crest members, so that we can continue giving the newer jumpers the same meaningful goals to accomplish that we all had.
We’re not asking for donations. We are asking that you help us purchase our new order of emblems and decals by buying some of the award items we have on hand that you’ve qualified for. Below is a list of store merchandise that we have readily in stock:
Membership cards; SCR-SCS-NSCR-SCSA-NSCSA $2.50ea
Award certificates; SCR-SCS-NSCR-SCSA-NSCSA- USA $3.50 ea
Colored cotton number tag; SCR-SCS-NSCR-SCSA-NSCSA-USA $3.50 ea
Decals; SCR-SCS $2.50 ea
Embroidered emblems; SCR-SCS-NSCR-SCSA-NSCSA-USA $7.00 ea
Sterling Silver SCR medallion; $30.00 ea
Sterling Silver SCS medallion; $30.00 ea
Sterling Silver chain w/lobster claw clasp $20.00 ea
Star Crest Tee & Tank Top/Muscle shirts (printed 2 sides) $15.00 ea
Long sleeve sweat shirts (printed 2 sides) $30.00 ea
If you’re a fairly recent SC member and don’t need to replace any award items or buy something extra, we ask that you forward this request to all the SC members that you have in your e-mail address book. You may also want to visit our “under construction” web site at www.scr-awards.com. Thanks for your support.
Bill Newell, SCR #3, SCS #69, NSCR #747, SCSA #11
Administrator, [email protected]

SCR and SCS is a fairly popular thing to do at SSM. We had a few jumpers in over the weekend from Westex who got an SCR. I got mine after around 40 jumps and got my NSCR on my second night jump ever. We built the round and held it for 36 sec. Great fun!! everyone should get one!
If you stay till breakfast friend, they'll wanna marry you.

Hey AggieDave~ yes we have met at Spaceland....
at the Rabbit Hole actually. We had a few beers then, I tried to tell you that you were to drunk to drive.
I am a FF, so let's do some FF loads when you get here.
Peace and BLUE SKIES :)What happened to Turbo?
He was to slow so we......

This might jog Dave's memory....
Remember during the Freefly festival and Max Cohn was going through coaching footage? Rachel was doing a head down and Max gestured to her to do a flip and she shook her head "no" a couple times and then proceeded to do a great flip. That was Rachel. :)"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

The Star Crest awards are a very cool tradition. One of the first really neat milestones a skydiver can achieve.
As an FYI, there are now vertical SCRs as well. Several of the freefliers (and some RW jumpers) at Spaceland are working toward them. Basic rule is a sequential formation with 4 on their belly max and the rest connected in some freefly position. So it's basically a sequential 8-way or bigger hybrid.
Cool stuff. :)"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

Gee thanks Zennie, for the good word....
That was so funny :D... I love watching that video... I don't remember Dave being there that weekend.
Of course, I don't remember much about that weekend.....except all the beer I drank...
C-ya this weekend????
What happened to Turbo?
He was to slow so we......

Gee thanks Zennie, for the good word....

Sorry, didn't mean to embarass you. It really was funny (in a good sort of way), especially since you were able to do it the whole time! :)"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."