Emma

what's your hard deck?

mate, i chop communists(EXEs) for fun, but for that much i carve it up real nice!
if i can't fly it, then i'll get a new one. luckily i have one sitting on my back (as long as i remembered to do up the chest strap), heh, it's a second ride - 2 for the price of one. so....... CHOP, and hope the rigger was on their sh!t when they stuffed it in there.
it's gonna be a yabba dabba do time, as a famous philosopher once said.

No shit. I let someone else pack for me last weekend. I went up on an 11 way and deployed at 3K. Opened up on-heading but with 6 line twists. Canopy started to turn right and dive while I was turning left. Felt like it was _really_ going to start spinning up for a second. Got that stopped and started kicking out. It was canopy, altimeter, pillow, chrome, repeat all the way down to 2100 as I got out of the least twist. Quick canopy control test and I didn't chop. Dammit! now I'm short! Just landed in. If I got to 2K it would have been gone. What gave me hope was that the slider was down and had forced all the twists to the bottom. Once I got on the ground I saw not one, but two extra rubber bands on the D-bag. Probably only had 6" of lines free in the tray. I'll tell ya one thing though, I sure wouldn't want to clear the twists at 1500 and find out I have _another_ problem!

Depends on the situation...
If I am pulling at a regular altitude, when I recognize an unrecoverable malfunction, I chop it.
If I were high, I would wait until around 2 to chop it, for the sake of keeping track of the canopy (unless it was a bag lock, in which case, I don't want to speed up like that...chop it higher, and allow yourself time to slow down).
If I am pulling low, I would chop it as soon as I recognized a malfunction that had the potential of being unrecoverable.
Below 1,000, 99.9% of the time, it's straight to reserve...cutaway will be an afterthought if it may be necessary. The only situation that I can think of to chop first, is in a full entanglement with another jumper where I would have to get away. It would be a last resort, but when one chooses that option, it is all they have left. At some point, it is not a matter of survival...it's a matter of death avoidance.
Steve

At 4000' I have no use for a RW formation. At 3000' I have no use for freefall. At 2000' if I don't like it I'll find it later.
At 1000' no cutaways, just pull silver and pray, then chop or not as the situation develops. I certainly hope I am never in a low emergency situation, as my friends time and altitude really can't help me.

One of the dumbest thing I ever did was launch a 4-way from 4000 feet, planning 7 points. We got all 7 points, but ended up breaking at 2000 feet. I took my fast-opening, no-cypres rig which ended up being a very good decision - I pulled at 1500 and was open by 1300. Amy pulled just below me, and the other two jumpers had Cypres fires.
Afterwards we tried to figure out why we had been so stupid, but couldn't come up with anything beyond "Well, I wasn't going to leave before Von Novak here left . . ." and the like. Live and learn, and in this case we were lucky to be able to get a lesson in altitude awareness and jump again.
-bill von