GAjumper84

Skydiving eyewear - sunglasses or goggles?

I am a student and the first thing I am looking to buy is a pair of goggles or sunglasses. I have been using the student goggles at my home DZ, but they are very uncomfortable and fog up like 3 times on the way up. I have seen a great deal of both sunglasses and goggles online for around $20-$30, but have no idea what the pros and cons to both are. I was leaning towards a pair of curve-z sunglasses, but wanted to see what some experienced people thought before I went that route.

I am also just a student, and have been using the clear goggles my DZ provides (after a good wipedown :S). My instructors and coaches have had me not put them on until getting reasonably close to altitude, and also told me that, should they fog up, just a quick lift to allow air in will resolve that (and it does, quickly). Once out of the plane, I've had no problems with them being clear, or my contact lenses staying happily seated (I wear those goggles tight -- and wear the goggle-dent "smiles" on my face the rest of the day).

GAjumper84

I am a student and the first thing I am looking to buy is a pair of goggles or sunglasses. I have been using the student goggles at my home DZ, but they are very uncomfortable and fog up like 3 times on the way up. I have seen a great deal of both sunglasses and goggles online for around $20-$30, but have no idea what the pros and cons to both are. I was leaning towards a pair of curve-z sunglasses, but wanted to see what some experienced people thought before I went that route.

Clear goggles while you're on student status. Once you're licensed it comes down to what you want to do.

I use my "Liquid eyewear" glasses when I'm doing camera jumps because they fit in my helmet much better than goggles and if they fog up, I can easily clear them just by moving my face muscles to get some air in them.

For regular goggles, try to leave them off of your eyes as long as possible. Once the door opens and the cool air hits them, they're generally fine. A few seconds prior to exit you can clear them again (just let the air get inside them usually does the trick).

Full face helmets are great for flying with others and I wear one when doing AFF because I'd rather not catch a knee to the chin and still want the student to be able to make eye contact with me. My old OXYGN helmet fogs up like hell because the visor is jacked up and won't open (had to duct tape it closed after a jump that it wouldn't stay closed).
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I also use the brand "Liquid Eyewear" because of their design. Normal sunglasses that wrap around your ear can be uncomfortable when wearing a helmet. Your ear can get smashed between the eyeglass stem and helmet.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

DiverMike

I also use the brand "Liquid Eyewear" because of their design. Normal sunglasses that wrap around your ear can be uncomfortable when wearing a helmet. Your ear can get smashed between the eyeglass stem and helmet.

LOL you either have ELTON JOHN Glasses or your helmets dont fit well.
I have NEVER had that issue with properly fitting gear. I wear helmets for a few varying activities. If you are getting those sorts of issues, something is not right.
I wear a very high prescription, and no helmets I have ever owned have caused issues with any of the different specs I wear. From standard specs to wraps.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Maybe you should consider the TROPOS ARCH GOGGLES. They are made from a flexible material with vents allowing a comfortable fit. And the best of all, you can buy and replace the lens easily, lenses come in several colors. Start with a clear lens and when you will be a skygod, change for a colored one, blue mirror, red mirror...etc to look cool.
For the fogging, well I have the same problem, I solved it by putting my goggles on only when the aircraft door is open.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

t:Maybe you should consider the TROPOS ARCH GOGGLES. They are made from a flexible material with vents allowing a comfortable fit. And the best of all, you can buy and replace the lens easily, lenses come in several colors. Start with a clear lens and when you will be a skygod, change for a colored one, blue mirror, red mirror...etc to look cool. For the fogging, well I have the same problem, I solved it by putting my goggles on only when the aircraft door is open. 

Those are perfect! I'll go with those for now. They look much more comfortable, and best of all I will know who has been wearing them!

Please excuse the novice question, but as a novice who is considering what to do in the post-goggles...

What evil things would happen if I were to say, ditch the goggles for a pair of non-skydiving company (that also doesn't want absurd quantities of green for their otherwise not particularly special sunglasses) glasses such as wanna-be wayfarers or something (PD's $10 knock off wayfarers would do fantastic for this example)?

lyosha

Please excuse the novice question, but as a novice who is considering what to do in the post-goggles...

What evil things would happen if I were to say, ditch the goggles for a pair of non-skydiving company (that also doesn't want absurd quantities of green for their otherwise not particularly special sunglasses) glasses such as wanna-be wayfarers or something (PD's $10 knock off wayfarers would do fantastic for this example)?

This is what you are looking for. Cheap, comfortable and fit most helmets.

Sparky

http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/flexvision-goggles
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

wayfarers

Great sunglasses but not for skydiving, they let the wind in big time...

You want something of the 'Wraparound' type that fit your face tight and will deflect the hurricane winds away from your Mk.1 general issue eyeballs.

Are there 10.00 knock-offs that work well for this?

You bet!! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Try a pair of these. Work good on my motorcycle. Never jumped them, wear a Z1.
UVEX XC SAFETY SUN GLASSES UV PROTECTION APEL APPROVED US MILITARY
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Stick your head out the car, or try the bike.

Go for the cheap stuff when you are a student. Those old school boogie goggles works, period. Remember the type of helmet you will be using.
I jump sunglasses with my fullface, and then the tropos with cam.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.