councilman24

Fuse Ankle - Anbody have one

The ankle I shattered in 1987 is getting worse. The only suggested relief of the pain that keeps me up all night is fusing it solid. Anybody have a fused ankle? Interested in how it limits your mobility, what your recovery was like, etc. Right now there isn't much I can't do except running for exercise, soccer, etc. I've lived with the pain for 15 years but don't think I can hold out much longer. Answer here, or by PM or email. Thanks in advance.
Terry
Yes, it was skydiving. Hitting a tree while the canopies were still opening. ;)

wow, I wouldnt wish that on anybody! especailly a skydiver. we need those things to land smoothly. I cant even pretend to know what kind of pain that is putting you through but Fusing it is a permenant thing. and I would imagine it would hinder your ability to do ALOT of things. or those your only two options? no operation to reconstruct? better pain med's{smile] ( that would still hinder your ability to jump) good luck. I hope you can get a new one somewhere!
Life's a bitch, and I'm her Pimp!
JT

http://community.webshots.com/user/jtval100

Terry, Sorry to hear that also. That is a major inconvenience to a skydiver. Just curious if they actually can do a joint replacement on ankles like they can for a knee. To fuse it sound like it would suck in more than one way. Either way, good luck.

I jump with someone that has both ankles fused, he had a very hard landing on the tarmac and shattered them both. He says most days theres no pain, they do get achy in bad weather. He jumps a big Triathlon, so running out landings.
FrogLady

Hey Terry.... wow, that sucks about your ankle. Sorry you've been in so much pain for so long. Have you tried doing some SERIOUS physical therapy with it? I can attest to the miraculous power of PT. I would definitely try that before I did something so permanent. Good luck to you.
dove

Terry,
I have a good friend who shattered his ankle 2 years ago. They talked about fusing it at the time and decided to try and rebuild it instead. He's finally back to jumping on a limited basis but has pretty much constant pain due to cartilage loss.
Is that where your pain is coming from???
I would guess that fusing your ankle would limit your range of motion and might make things like tracking very difficult since you wouldn't be able to point your toe. But I have seen people skydive with limitations before, so I think it is really just a matter of determination.
My advice is to do what you need to do so that you are not living in constant pain.
Good luck to you.
maura