grue

At which point does a main/reserve size disparity become too great?

I'm currently jumping a Precision Fusion 190 and a Smart 220 in an Infinity I-66N. My next downsize will probably be a Nitron 170, giving me a 50sqft difference between my main and reserve. The 170 is technically outside of the range of the spec, but if the Nitron packs anything like my Fusion does, it'll be larger than most other canopies in its size range.

Is this the point where I need to start being really worried about canopy behavior in a two-out? I'm not going to downsize my reserve, just trying to make informed decisions about my main choice.
cavete terrae.

grue

Is this the point where I need to start being really worried about canopy behavior in a two-out?

What's the likelihood you'll end up under your reserve? What's the likelihood that it'll under less-than ideal conditions (low, dazed, not over a good landing spot, etc.)

What's the likelihood you'll end up with at two out?

IMHO, plan for the more likely scenario. Assuming a 170 main still works in the same container, I wouldn't see any compelling reason to downsize the reserve. I know some folks (John Mitchell springs to mind) who've consciously chosen a much larger reserve (I think he's got a 150/218 combo) and had their containers built for that. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

grue

Is this the point where I need to start being really worried about canopy behavior in a two-out?

Who knows. But I'm not going to get a tiny reserve just to match my tiny main. It is much more likely that I'll use my reserve alone, than have a two-out, so any mismatch is of lesser concern. Just my opinion.

NWFlyer

IMHO, plan for the more likely scenario. Assuming a 170 main still works in the same container, I wouldn't see any compelling reason to downsize the reserve. I know some folks (John Mitchell springs to mind) who've consciously chosen a much larger reserve (I think he's got a 150/218 combo) and had their containers built for that. :)

I'm no John Mitchell, but I did the same. Despite warnings about 2-out possibilities, I planned for the most likely scenario. I have a new container designed for my 218 Optimum, which loads me at 0.83 (unconscious scenario considered). My main is a 188. I may downsize my main once or twice in my skydiving career, but I plan to keep that reserve until either I retire or it's no longer serviceable, whichever comes first. Any new containers will be built for it.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

grue

Yeah I'm not even considering downsizing my reserve, just wondering if the trip down to 170 is going to need to be my last downsize on the main because of it :D

My reserve is a 220....I can put my 170, 190 or 210 mains in with nothing more than a closing loop reconfiguration.

YMMV

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Assuming that you stil have reasonable tension on your main closing loop .. no big deal.

I jumped a 172 reserve with 190, 170, 150 and 135 mains for years. The only time I needed the reserve, the Diablo 135 had spun up so bad that I cut it away before deploying the 172 reserve.

The only risk is if you deploy both canopies and find yourself in a side-by-side.
To avoid the whole two-out scenario, the simple answer is to routinely deploy your main well above Cypres-scaring altitude.

My next downsize will probably be a Nitron 170, giving me a 50sqft difference between my main and reserve.

Do a search for Hooknswoop he did quite a bit of research on this and reported actual jumps on here. Some really good info in his post.

I built a new accuracy rig. It has a 97 Angelfire reserve. and a 270 classic main. I believe its one of the smallest traditional accuracy rigs. the 97 is the smallest reserve I feel comfortable landing. A lot of people ask about the 2 out situation and how I would handle it. I'd rather have this combo over my head than something like a 150 reserve and a 75 crossbrace. At least with mine they are both 7 cell low glide/low aspect ratio f-111 wings.
Na' Cho' Cheese