irishrigger

Keep your eyes open during gear checks!

irishrigger

amazingly this person was checked out twice and the jumper himself check this! another unneccessary reserve ride!
there has been many incidents like this around, so amazed that it still happens >:(>:(

Hi Irish,
Funny how that goes, first one like that I saw was at Old Elsoinore, summer of '77. Do the math on how long ago that was. As Charlie Parker usedta' say,"GO, GO, GO!!...Pilot chute in tow!!!!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

gunpaq

Too often gear checks are just a quick glance often prior to boarding. To be human is to error. To error on a gear check is inhuman.

This is why when I teach either students or Packers (APF ratings) I insist that any checks be accompanied by a finger touching the item they are checking. I forget which older instructor taught me this but it is very necessary.

We see what we expect to see but by touching at the same time it draws our focused attention to things.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I think things like this is the result of people memorizing their packing procedures instead of understanding their gear. If anyone understands how and why their gear is supposed to work they won't pack something like that.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Arvoitus

I think things like this is the result of people memorizing their packing procedures instead of understanding their gear. If anyone understands how and why their gear is supposed to work they won't pack something like that.

This kind of malfunction happens when somebody tries to re close already packed rig, without getting the PC out of the pocket and without checking the bridle routing afterwards. At least this is my experience from talking to people who ended up with PCIT after a bridle misrouting.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Hi irish,

amazingly this person was checked out twice and the jumper himself check this!

If you have fifty people look at it and they do not understand what they are seeing, it is not doing any good.

Back in the 60's I was sitting in a Cessna 180, behind the pilot and facing to the rear. During climb to altitude I noticed that they guy next to me ( facing forward ) had the left main riser on his XBO rig setup such that upon deployment it would activate his reserve. I mentioned it to him, then just released that riser, routed it 'over' the reserve housing and all was once again good with the world.

It is usually a case of 'what is wrong with this picture?.' Then take a closer look.

JerryBaumchen

koppel

***Too often gear checks are just a quick glance often prior to boarding. To be human is to error. To error on a gear check is inhuman.

This is why when I teach either students or Packers (APF ratings) I insist that any checks be accompanied by a finger touching the item they are checking. I forget which older instructor taught me this but it is very necessary.

We see what we expect to see but by touching at the same time it draws our focused attention to things.''

I started using this method when doing gear checks prior to BASE jumps I think it works well

strife

******Too often gear checks are just a quick glance often prior to boarding. To be human is to error. To error on a gear check is inhuman.

We see what we expect to see but by touching at the same time it draws our focused attention to things.''

I started using this method when doing gear checks prior to BASE jumps I think it works well

I dont know crap about packing but I can say that I like that tip about touching the items. My AFFI always touched each piece of gear she inspected on me. I never thought of it until now, but I think its brilliant...
You are not the contents of your wallet.

Someone found a guy recently with both of the riser rings through the harness ring on one side. Had been jumping it like that for well over a month or two. He's was on a heavily loaded velo swooping it like that too! He's not the kind of guy to get gear checks but look at the people around you totally and not just the chest strap!

RichM

***How much slack do you think could be pulled out of that closing loop?

Is the closing loop too long or is the main too big for the container?If the main's too big, he'll need too long of a closing loop to get it in there! :P
Don't let the fact that I sound like I think that I know what I'm talking about fool you. I know that I don't know what I'm talking about

Folks gear checks really are important, one may very well have saved my life. Back in about 2003 I had about 250 jumps and was visiting Spaceland. I was geared up and waiting on the plane when i noticed a jumper I didn't know was looking at me. He reached out and pulled hard on my chest strap and what do you know it came out. I had miss-routed the chest strap somehow and didn't realize it. I may have been fine then again I may have fallen out of my rig. I'm very thankful for an experienced jumper that was willing to make that gear check. As a result I always look at other people and over the years have found a few problems. Please look you may save a life. Please accept a gear check, I know that day I truly believed my chest strap was fine.