wingit

Main Canopy Storage Questions?

Gday all!

I crushed my spine on a jump (a few months but was just able to walk away from it which leaves me with hope that I will jump again one day! My canopy is fairly new (a little over 30 jumps on it and the accident wasn't due to the canopy size etc or the turn per say). Ive sold the rest of my rig and have the main in plastic bag with 8 silica gel saches to de humidify. Im still quite a few months off jumping again but want to keep my canopy in the best condition I can. My Packer B licence said Naptha Flakes but I cant find them anywhere? Whats is the best way to store it so it comes back out like brand new again with no mildew, mould etc?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Blue sky's and safe jumping

Cheers

Unless your home is exceptionally damp or already mold-ridden, I would think that the risk of mold or mildew would be very low, provided of course that the canopy wasn't damp when it was originally stored. I'd put it in a pillowcase and put it up in a closet and not worry about it till you're healthy to jump again.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Naphthalene flakes are used to deter moths and other insects from natural fabrics that might supply a food source to them. Parachutes are made from all man made inedible nylon and as such are not affected. But they could very well be affected by naphthalene which is a petroleum product usually made from coal tar.

Store your canopy in a plastic bag in a cool dry place.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Poynter Vol 1 para 7.98 suggests naphthalene flakes to prevent mildew. I have seen mildewed containers and canopies. I agree that the mildew doesn't attack the nylon itself, but it is feeding on something.

As to whether petroleum-based solvents are bad for nylon, Poynter also suggests white gasoline or lighter fluid for cleaning.

Mark

Poynter also says that mildew needs a damp warm environment, as well as contamination of the material to support it. Nylon is highly resistant to most petroleum solvents, if you want to take the chance on the poisonous substance that is banned in your country. Store your canopy in a cool dry place.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

But all of Poynter's info comes from the military and may very well include natural fiber equipment. I have a mid seventies cotton T-10 reserve container. Yes I have mildewed containers also but they are ones that are really dirty to start with. White gasoline and lighter fluid are very volatile hydrocarbons that won't have much if any residue after a few minutes. But that's in the open air not sealed in a bag where it will persist. Napthalene is also a polycyclic aromatic relative of benzene, both carcinogenic, toxic, and more chemically reactive than straight chain hydrocarbons. Not really comparable to lighter fluid.

From June 2011 Australian government,

"The Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) has taken action to stop supply of naphthalene loose flake products in retail outlets. These products are generally used in the home to protect clothing, blankets and other stored items from moths and silverfish.

This follows recent advice from the Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing that the packaging and warning statements on these products may not be adequate to protect sensitive people and young children exposed to treated fabrics from inhalation and ingestion risks.

As a result of this action, these four products:

Mosom Pure White Naphthalene Flakes (external site)
Hovex Naphthalene Flakes (external site)
Recochem Naphthalene Moth and Silver Fish Flakes Household Insecticide Fumigant (no product label available online)
Recochem Naphthalene Flakes (external site)

will not be available for sale until further notice.
"

I'd skip the naptha flakes for a main, especially a new one not likely contaminated with dirt, skin flakes and oils, and other organic matter.

If your home is air conditioned, heated in the winter, cooled in the summer and dehumidified stick it in a bag and stick it in a closet. Plastic with the silica is fine but the silica won't have much capacity. Or fabric that can breath if in conditioned house.

If you on a coast with lots of humidity etc all the time I might get a 5 gallon plastic bucket and air tight lid and through it in there making sure it's dry with dried silica packets. Our home improvement stores sell these buckets, or a restaurant supply store. I get metal buckets with air tight lids from where my wife works that work well for storage of stuff I'm not using for a while.

But frankly unless you live in a jungle your more than fine with what you've done. Keep it dry and dark.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

NWFlyer

Unless your home is exceptionally damp or already mold-ridden, I would think that the risk of mold or mildew would be very low, provided of course that the canopy wasn't damp when it was originally stored. I'd put it in a pillowcase and put it up in a closet and not worry about it till you're healthy to jump again.

+1

If you are thinking months and not years you don't really have to over think it this much. Put it in a cool, dark, dry place. Heat and UV light can damage it.

Thanks all for the helpfull reply's! That explains why I cant find naptha flakes then!

Unfortunately, I do live in the tropics, and to top that off... Its the wettest part of Australia [:/]... I have pulled the canopy out a couple of times to check and all is good so far. I might chase down some more silica gel packs and put them in a food dehydrator over night to really dry them out and then in a sealed bucket as some have suggested. Its coming up to the wettest time of year here and the last thing I want to happen is get through all this then the canopy is cactus [:/] .

Thanks again for all the info!

Blue sky's and safe jumping!

I live in Houston (average humidity in the 80% range, I believe), and kept my whole rig stored indoors in an air-conditioned environment for 13 years. Repacked it and jumped it.

Air conditioning makes a big difference. I've seen rigs stored in non-A/C environments in Houston that also looked just fine.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)