prepheckt

What's the dumbest thing you've done while jumping

the dumbest thing Ive ever done skydiving is at an unfirmiliar dz tried to make it back from a long impossible spot. Instead of landing in a huge lake i opted for the paved runway downwind. what a desision to have to make. ouch!!!!
fyi: three broken toes, road rash on my arm, torn shirt and brocken ego.

set up to land, at about 500 i knew i was going to over shoot so i did a slow 360 and reset up. the only thing i never took notice to the landing area, everyone was landing opposite way. i about took out 4 different people. to say the least i was lucky, i just got a ass chewing by several different people..
why jump when you can fly

Jump 39, chopped from a main with 2 blown out end cells, hindsight, I could have probably landed it, but didn't feel comfortable with it at the time...
Now the stupid part...
Jump 40, PC in tow, PC wasn't cocked (not packed by me)
I toss, and wait, and wait, and wait...
Say to myself "Hell, I'm not going to have two reserve rides in a row..."
So I wait, and wait, and wait...
"Hrm...."
Reach round to try to find bridle for a manual unpack, couldn't find it.
Wait, and wait, and wait....
"Aww Heck"
Cutaway, pull reserve
"*Multiple expletive deleted*"
Final approach, landing towards a friend who was there for the first cutaway also...
"*More expletive deleted*" :)Gosh I love this sport...
--
Dude, where's my raft?

I don't remember the jump number, it was something under 100 though. I opened into pretty serious line twists and watched it get worse. I spent _way too long_ kicking out, so much time infact that when I got out of the twists I had enough time to turn onto final and land. I lost altitude awareness trying to get the twists out, I won't make that mistake again.
-
Jim

Well, some of the old-timers here might remember this......
On my first jump (static line), I landed in the median strip of a four-lane highway. I passed over two huge cow-pastures right before getting over the pavement, and had to crab into the wind to avoid the traffic. When I finally reached terra firma, and my canopy collapsed to the ground, there was about three feet of grass between my canopy and the pavement on each side.
I didn't know much about landing out (on the radio at the time), the fact that you can lose air at the worst possible moment (has happened a couple of times), the fact that tractor-trailers roaring by at 60 mph 5 feet away can generate a lot of suction, the fact that turbulence can shove you a few feet to either side at any time, etc....
I didn't really think about it much 'til I got about 50 jumps under my belt, and had experienced some of the above that I mentioned -- now I shudder when I think back on it (although it was pure exhiliration at the time) :)A lesson learned very well, and very cheaply.
Don

I could have probably landed it, but didn't feel comfortable with it at the time...

Hmmm... mine's just the opposite. I chose to land a canopy with two broken D lines. Was really, really scary; even more so now that I know that the opening tore a good sized hole in the fabric where one of the brake lines attachs. Next time, I'm chopping it.
pull & flare,
lisa
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda sez

I, like Jimbo, lost altitude awareness kicking out of line twists..i eventually kicked out of them, but I was WAY low by the time i was controlling that canopy.
But the dumbest?? I kept quiet about another jumper's gear. I thought his chest strap looked weird, but rather than saying something, or asking about it, I figured he knew what he was doing. I was at a new DZ and he has thousands of jumps.
Turns out I was right...he had misrouted it. He landed fine, if a little shaken....and I learned a HUGE lesson....it is better to ask too many questions than to let even the tiniest thing go. I have been plagued with scores of "what ifs" ever since....
Anne
crabs are only bad when you go down on someone and get them in your eyelashes-sunshine

What haven't I done! Here are some examples:
While doing a coach jump I went to pull, but instead of pullingout the pilot chute I pulled out the bridle. I knew that something was wrong when I saw the look of terror on the coaches's face. Thankfully I went after the pilot chute and avoided a horseshoe.
On my last jump I did an even dummer thing. I was doing a two-way. I was completely stable at pull time, waved off, and pulled out the chute, the second I threw it out though I flipped over and went head down, I remember thinking that I just killed myself right now. The pilot chute ended up in front of my face, then I flipped just as the d-bag was coming out of the container, it hit me on the head, then the risers ripped off my helmet. To make things worse I landed right in front of the airport officials that already hate us! Hoepfully I learned from my mistakes and will be more careful because of my mistakes.

Lets see... a long list if I think about it but highlights include:
Downwind swoop to the vallyball pole
Deploying in a high speed sit 155 on purpose
wearing sandles on a sunset Crosscountry jump when it was 65 on the ground
10 second delay on a Casa jet pass (200 knots at exit), nough said
Low solo (4500) I did Sit, HD, back flying and flipped to the belly only to pull all on accident too
Following the Green light and never looking down......
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

The dumbest was "I can make it to the other side of the runway." I pulled it off, barely, but if there had been any aircraft trying to land.... The kicker was I ended up chasing the canopy to the other side of the runway because it reinflated after I stowed the toggles and went to gather it up. So I basically needlessly endagered myself and any aircraft that happened to be in the area and then did it again because I couldn't keep my canopy under control.
Lessons learned: Don't cross the runway at low altitudes, and have fabric in your hand before dropping the toggles on a windy day.
--
Brian

Last fall at Skydive Illinois. I had a hard pull, three tries and silver. In the landing pattern by 1000 feet (some guys there said they think the reserve pilot chute cleared my back at about 1500). No big deal, right? Wrong! It was rental gear, that I had packed, and I neglected to follow, or even look around for the freebag, I was just happy to be alive!
Well, after about 2 hours of walking the fields, I finally found it, and managed to get another jump in. I shudder to think how many jump I could have made in the time it took me to find that damn freebag!
(Hopefully there will not be a next time, but in case...) Next time I'm following the damn freebag!
Rev Jim
A-39869
"It's just what I do..."

Had to bail out of a cessna 185 at 5K because the exhaust was leaking carbon monoxide...it was my first jump in my new jumpsuit with boosters so I thought, hey while i'm out i'll see what these things can do and started tracking. Looked at my alti as I passed through about 2250 and immediately went to dump, but my hand slipped off the handle because i did it too quick; I got the pilot-chute out on the second attempt and was swinging in the harness only just above 1000ft...thank god I got a fast opening.
JP

one of my early jumps I listened to an instructor who I didn't really know. we existed from a cessna when he said go. even though I thought we were OFF i though He knew something I didnt....oops.
I landed ON with no problem dumped a little higher to adjust(nobody was behind me, I watched my budd exit and there was a tandem...they open high) I watched my buddy during the whole jump b/c I knew we were off. he landed safe but across the street.
the instructor apologized and I laughed and shrugged and said Hey we are all safe NO PROB. my buddy was lower(jump#) then I was so he wasnt sure about opening higher etc.
we talked, asked questions and learned from the jump. so I guess this doesnt count as a STUPID jump afterall.:)

Have fun, Live free, SKYDIVE!!T
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtval100