flight1o1

Rigger!!

I'm looking to attend a course in the near future and wanted to make sure I was well prepared. Anyone have a list of study materials that would be helpful? I know I should have my 20 reserves packed and logged and some experience on the sewing machine, but wanted to hear your personal experiences with some literature out there. Any help would be appreciated.

blue skies to all you crazies! :S

20 packs done ahead: Yes
Do some sewing: Yes
I would add; to be sure you have read thoroughly (at a minimum) the first three chapters in the *Parachute Riggers Handbook. If you don't own *one, you will be totally behind the 8 ball as many of the written test questions are from it. And if you don't pass the written, you won't be allowed to do the Oral and Practical. Purchase a Poynter II and refer to it constantly. Nearly memorize Part 65. Get it on faa.gov.

Realize that at some point you will have to pass the Oral and Practical. Preparation for that is to download and print the Practical Test System (PTS) and look at each of the tasks in all 6 of the first Areas of Operation (Senior). If you add them all up there are somewhere around 40 or more that you can be asked to do on O&P test day. Unless you want to be surprised at the time of the O&P test by being asked to perform a task you have never done before, you had better know all of them . How to do that? Just do all of them at least once, and know what to look for in the task's final inspection. At the time of the actual test it is likely you will only be required to perform couple of tasks, sometimes only one task, for each of the 6 Areas of Operation; but the catch - so to speak - is that you won't know which ones your examiner will select. That is why you need to be familiar with all of them.

Not knowing what tasks are required in the first 6 Areas of Operation of the PTS is like running a race without knowing where the finish line is. Download it now from faa.gov and look at each task.

Out of curiosity, my exam and every other exam I've ever heard of included the "Sew a Patch" task and I fully agree that this should be something that a rigger should be able to do. Have you ever given the exam and NOT included that task?

dpreguy

20 packs done ahead: Yes
Do some sewing: Yes
I would add; to be sure you have read thoroughly (at a minimum) the first three chapters in the *Parachute Riggers Handbook. If you don't own *one, you will be totally behind the 8 ball as many of the written test questions are from it. And if you don't pass the written, you won't be allowed to do the Oral and Practical. Purchase a Poynter II and refer to it constantly. Nearly memorize Part 65. Get it on faa.gov.

Realize that at some point you will have to pass the Oral and Practical. Preparation for that is to download and print the Practical Test System (PTS) and look at each of the tasks in all 6 of the first Areas of Operation (Senior). If you add them all up there are somewhere around 40 or more that you can be asked to do on O&P test day. Unless you want to be surprised at the time of the O&P test by being asked to perform a task you have never done before, you had better know all of them . How to do that? Just do all of them at least once, and know what to look for in the task's final inspection. At the time of the actual test it is likely you will only be required to perform couple of tasks, sometimes only one task, for each of the 6 Areas of Operation; but the catch - so to speak - is that you won't know which ones your examiner will select. That is why you need to be familiar with all of them.

Not knowing what tasks are required in the first 6 Areas of Operation of the PTS is like running a race without knowing where the finish line is. Download it now from faa.gov and look at each task.

ctrph8

Out of curiosity, my exam and every other exam I've ever heard of included the "Sew a Patch" task and I fully agree that this should be something that a rigger should be able to do. Have you ever given the exam and NOT included that task?

PTS Task VI-A Basic Patch is a required task on all Senior and Master exams.

Mark