Kalrigan

Are tight fits bad?

I willing say, however, that was the most comfortable canopy ride Ive ever had had. I’m in love with his rig and can’t ant wait to get it back online with a properly sized main.
Carpe Diem, Even if it kills me -- "Dead Poet's Society"

"Are you getting into trouble over there?" --- "Nothing that I'm going to admit to!"

StoppieJoe

So.... I did it. And now I will say from this experience: not a good idea for a vector. It closed fine and looked fine and pin pressure was okay but it was solid and tight. Did a hop n pop and gave it an 8 second delay before I pitched. I had a PC in tow AFTER the container opened. It was just stuck in the container. took 2 elbows to the side of the rig to get it out. After that it was a beautiful opening but with that much of a hesitation, I’m not jumping it again until I have a 170 to put into it.

This is an odd result. After 8 seconds you are nearly at terminal. Add a couple of seconds of hesitation and you are at terminal. Your pilot chute should have generated well in excess of 50 pounds of pull at that point, more than enough to extract even the most obstinate bag. It may be that your analysis is correct, but I would also be looking at other possibilities to keep from getting similar results with a smaller canopy.

--Mark

mark

***So.... I did it. And now I will say from this experience: not a good idea for a vector. It closed fine and looked fine and pin pressure was okay but it was solid and tight. Did a hop n pop and gave it an 8 second delay before I pitched. I had a PC in tow AFTER the container opened. It was just stuck in the container. took 2 elbows to the side of the rig to get it out. After that it was a beautiful opening but with that much of a hesitation, I’m not jumping it again until I have a 170 to put into it.

This is an odd result. After 8 seconds you are nearly at terminal. Add a couple of seconds of hesitation and you are at terminal. Your pilot chute should have generated well in excess of 50 pounds of pull at that point, more than enough to extract even the most obstinate bag. It may be that your analysis is correct, but I would also be looking at other possibilities to keep from getting similar results with a smaller canopy.

--Mark

I packed the rig back up and opened it on the ground. Pin came out fine and the flaps opened fine but I was able to pick the rig up and bounce it a few times by the bridle with an open container before the d bag would come out. I’ve inspected the rig and all of the components and it all checks out and looks normal.

"Are you getting into trouble over there?" --- "Nothing that I'm going to admit to!"

I was able to pick the rig up and bounce it a few times by the bridle with an open container before the d bag would come out.

Using a force gauge of some kind would be interesting.

Or maybe a little of the cypres grease rubbed into the side of the container and bag would do the trick.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

StoppieJoe

So.... I did it. And now I will say from this experience: not a good idea for a vector. It closed fine and looked fine and pin pressure was okay but it was solid and tight. Did a hop n pop and gave it an 8 second delay before I pitched. I had a PC in tow AFTER the container opened. It was just stuck in the container. took 2 elbows to the side of the rig to get it out. After that it was a beautiful opening but with that much of a hesitation, I’m not jumpin it again until I have a 170 to put into it. :S

Something wrong with the PC, if you can close it without tools and it looks fine, you should not have such hesitation. Are you confident the PC was fully cocked and you had a good throw?

Yep, fully cocked and had a good throw. Like I said, I was able to pick the rig up by the bridle with the container open. It just got stuck. The PC is brand new and it looks, and feels awesome. This really was a simple “I’m a dumb ass” moment. Once I have a properly sized main, I’ll be okay.