BrianM

Singer 143W2 Camatron conversion

Hello,

I've got my hands on a Singer 143W2 with a Camatron conversion. I have no idea what the conversion does - anybody know?

Also, it is missing the knob that sets the zigzag width on a normal 143W2 - I assume that is part of the conversion but don't really know. How do I set the zigzag width on this machine? The mechanism that moves the needle bar from side to side looks adjustable, but I don't want to start randomly adjusting stuff without knowing what I'm doing.

I've attached a few pictures.

Brian

Sew a sample with it, see what it does and then see what the adjustment does. Camatron does specialty conversions for a production type environment. It may do a zig zag on part of the cam, then a straight stich, then zig zag, repeating over and over for what ever application it was intended for...Just go for it and tell us what it does.

From the looks of the sewn off sample, it appears to be a double throw zig-zag.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Gene03

From the looks of the sewn off sample, it appears to be a double throw zig-zag.

Correct, it is a double throw zigzag (308 stitch) - and I'm impressed that you can tell that from those photos!

leon.hill

Sew a sample with it, see what it does and then see what the adjustment does.

Yes, but the question is what exactly do I adjust? It's not the same as the Singer 143W2 manual, and Camatron doesn't have any info available. They suggested moving the adjustment knob - but there's nothing on there that I would describe as a "knob" (other than the stitch length and tension adjustments).

Loosening the nut that has been painted red (see 5.jpg) and sliding that end of that arm up and down should adjust the zigzag width (the vertical brass part that it is attached to swings like a pendulum, which is what creates the zigzag). It looks fairly obvious, but I figured it was worth asking before I do something I shouldn't. ;) If nobody knows for sure then I'll give it a try and see what happens. :)
leon.hill

Camatron does specialty conversions for a production type environment. It may do a zig zag on part of the cam, then a straight stich, then zig zag, repeating over and over for what ever application it was intended for...Just go for it and tell us what it does.

Ah, interesting. Since this one seems to be a regular a double throw zigzag, same as the stock machine, I'm curious what the point of the conversion is. Different maximum width or something, perhaps?
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

BrianM

Ah, interesting. Since this one seems to be a regular a double throw zigzag, same as the stock machine, I'm curious what the point of the conversion is. Different maximum width or something, perhaps?

My 143W2 is a single-throw ZZ.

Trade? :)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

Hmmm... I may have been wrong about the stock 143W2 being double throw. I could have sworn I saw that in the manual, but now I can't find it. That would certainly explain the reason for the conversion.

I better keep this one - it's not mine, it's been loaned to me - though I suspect it may never end up going back. :)

BrianM

Hmmm... I may have been wrong about the stock 143W2 being double throw. I could have sworn I saw that in the manual, but now I can't find it. That would certainly explain the reason for the conversion.

I better keep this one - it's not mine, it's been loaned to me - though I suspect it may never end up going back. :)
I think there's a 143W6 maybe that's a double throw.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

The 143W2 was a single throw (304) until it recieved the Cametron conversion to a double throw (308). The Cametron asdds the cam on the back and the mis-colored parts. Cametron is apparently the successor to Gelman as the conversion was known as a Gelman Mod. I have 2 of these. Their lift is low but they are fast and reliable.

John,
Singer 143s were made in a variety of different stitches from the Singer factory; not just a 304 stitch.

The singer 143W-SV8 is a 308 stitch machine that is made exactly like a 143W1, W2, or W3.

Camatron and Gellman are two different companies that both made make sewing machine conversions .
Camatron is known best for bartacker speciality conversions,
while Gellman is known best for speciality conversions on standard flat bed sewing machines.

Both companies made the 304 to 308 conventions. The 143W was converted by both companies and I have one of each in the shop.Both are great machines BTW.

The foot lift can be made to 5/8" and to match the sewing capabilities. simply use a 135 X 17 needle instead of the 135 X 7 needle.

Cheers,
MEL

****Edited to add info because flight attendants made me shut down my phone before I was finished!
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Thanks to everyone for all the info. Sorry for taking so long to post, I had no time to play with it until the weekend. Then I didn't have the proper needles, so had to go buy some of those - then discovered the timing was way off. I've never adjusted timing on any machine, but the 143 manual describes how to do it, and with a bit of trial and error I was able to get it running well.

Yes, the red nut sets the zigzag width. The adjustment range is quite a bit more than the machine is capable of - the needle starts hitting stuff it shouldn't and breaking. I learned that the hard way. Good thing needles are cheap! :)
The attached picture is a quick test with a few different zigzag widths. Ignore the white thread in the bottom right corner, the tension was way off when I first started sewing and was pulling the white bottom thread through (I just used what was alread on the bobbin). The bit that looks like a straight stitch along the top is actually a very narrow zigzag, not quite straight.

I haven't done anything more than a few test runs yet, but so far it seems to be running very smoothly. I'm looking forward to using it for a few repairs this week.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

The attached picture is a quick test with a few different zigzag widths. Ignore the white thread in the bottom right corner, the tension was way off when I first started sewing and was pulling the white bottom thread through (I just used what was alread on the bobbin). The bit that looks like a straight stitch along the top is actually a very narrow zigzag, not quite straight.

AHEM.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Gene03

AHEM.

No pictures are attached :P

Jerry,
That would be the "Rocketeer" as it is otherwise known.
Yep,great machine just like the Singer 401A and Singer 403.

I have each of the above and used the 401A in my earl years as my only Zig-Zag machine. It too has the decorative 4 point, three stitch pattern built into it.
This is one more stitch than the 308 pattern and works just as well if not better.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

JerryBaumchen

$200 for a 401A or 500A is way over priced. I picked mine up for $75. Since I have a Bernina 217 to replace it, I am about to sell my 500A to another jumper for what I paid. Saw one recently for $50. If you wait, you can find them for under $100.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Oh sorry, English is not my mother language,.. Was this container cordura or parapack? Did you connect it on harness with this machine ?

Somebody said that 401 can go trough trouser leather belt,...

I was trying to find out what was this machine capable of.

As I already have E thread machine (ex. Yugoslavian Bagat), that can go trough a lot of stuff, but it struggles with 3-4 layers of PC bridle for example, so there is a lot of stuff that I can't repair with it.
I am looking for stronger machine to purchase somewhere from Europe (to reduce shipping costs),..

Hi jerolim,

English is not my mother language

And Croatian is not mine. :P No apology necessary.

The container was ParaPack; however, my current machine ( Singer 500A ) will go through 1,000 denier Cordura, but not many layers.

401 can go trough trouser leather belt

It would probably have to be a very thin leather.

You have my address. Send me a sample of what you want to sew ( the worst case ) and I'll try to run it though my 500A. Nothing like a little test to really know.

JerryBaumchen

PS) If I get some time later today I'll try 4 layers of Type 4 bridle material and see what happens.