JoeyH

Riggers course in Chicago?

I work there so I may be a bit biased.

We're halfway through the fall course.

The trainees are having a long-ass day blast.

They remarked that they can't remember when they worked this intensely.

It's satisfying seeing the pack jobs improve in just 5 days.

It's also been said that the course is a lot more involved than a lot suspected.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

I took it in 2009. It was a hell of a lot of work. It was also a hell of a lot of fun.

I learned an incredible amount, and also learned that I had a lot more to learn.

I would very strongly suggest having a good percentage of your required 20 reserve packs done before attending the class. I didn't, and spent a lot of time getting that done. I could have used that time more profitably working on other tasks.

I would also suggest learning how to machine sew before attending. Knowing the basics of how the machine operates and how to run it will allow you to focus on learning more advanced stuff. I had done this and it helped considerably.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

My opinion is that before going to a course that is short and intense, that you get ALL of your 20 pack jobs logged BEFORE you even get there. Packing is only a tiny part of a rigger's course and knowledge. It is a necessary skill, but not the only one. If your pack jobs are done, you should be able to spend an appropriate amount of time in the rigging course on the other rigging skills and knowledge taught and tested.

I can't remember who, but I do recall reading somewhere on here that even if an applicant shows up to their course (not necessarily the one in Chicago) with their 20 packjobs done, they'd make them do them again under their supervision.:S

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I would approach ANY of those cram courses as simply "finishing school" or "exam prep". Before arrival, I would have read all the relevant books and done:

- the 20 reserve re-packs (including both round and ram-air)
- sewing (patches and comfort with sewing machines)
- finger trapping
- grommet removal & installation

I have no doubt that these courses cover this stuff... but you are investing a lot of time and money for these courses, so it only makes sense to be ready to take maximum advantage of the investment. By being well prepared, you will be primed to get the most out of the course.

Even if they make you re-do the 20 pack jobs... it will be SO much easier if you already have that practice!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

theonlyski

I can't remember who, but I do recall reading somewhere on here that even if an applicant shows up to their course (not necessarily the one in Chicago) with their 20 packjobs done, they'd make them do them again under their supervision.:S

Yes. It's Dave DeWolf's course. But it's also considered part of the class and time is devoted to it.

You can show up to Para Concept's course with most or all of your 20 done and be ok. You will still want to do some while taking the class, especially stuff you haven't done before (tandems or rounds).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Yes. It's Dave DeWolf's course. But it's also considered part of the class and time is devoted to it.

You can show up to Para Concept's course with most or all of your 20 done and be ok. You will still want to do some while taking the class, especially stuff you haven't done before (tandems or rounds).

Well, I did back and seat rating together, so I had packed a few rounds and a SDH at least once. I also didn't attend a course, just worked with a couple master riggers.

But I get your point. A new rigger at the dz just refused to pack two bail out rigs because he wasn't thrilled about them being rounds. I know he's packed a round before but probably just not comfortable with it.

Oh well, more cash in my pocket.B|
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message