malooper

Canopy Differences

I'm scheduled to attend a canopy control course in November so I realize I may be jumping the gun on this but I was just curious if anyone is aware of a source that explains the different canopies out there? Perhaps I'm asking too much? Just thought I'd give it a shot!

Thanks!
Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.
-Raymond Lindquist

Do you mean in terms of canopy characteristics, like 7 cell vs 9 cell, semi-elliptical vs elliptical vs square, main vs reserve etc? Or straight-up comparisons of similar canopies, like Safire2 vs Pilot?

General overviews are good for the first type. For the second, I actually learned a lot reading the gear reviews section here on dropzone.com. Also, the manufacturers' websites have descriptions of "flight characteristics" for their different canopies which are really helpful. (And in my extremely limited demo experience, pretty accurate.)

malooper

I'm scheduled to attend a canopy control course in November so I realize I may be jumping the gun on this but I was just curious if anyone is aware of a source that explains the different canopies out there? Perhaps I'm asking too much? Just thought I'd give it a shot!

Thanks!

That source and the best source at the same time would be your instructor/coach or any experienced jumper (1000+ jumps). All you need is a case of descent beer or two after the sunset load.

Performance Designs has a bunch of great articles on their website under the support section. Most of their canopies have articles with their flight characteristics. There is also other articles directly below the flight characteristics (all in the right column). Enjoy your canopy course.

http://www.performancedesigns.com/support.asp?filter=sport

edited to add url

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

I know the last canopy course I attended there was 6 of us and our canopy coach showed us all the differences between things like 7 cell vs 9 cell and how the navigator is the exception to the 9 cells during our debreifs. Depending on your class size and what kind of canopies everyone has you could ask your coach to explain it all to you.

Both! :)Thanks!

Thanks to the rest of you all for the input! I was trying to get a little ahead while I wait for the course but regardless I'm sure I'll learn a lot when I take it! (and face my fears of hop n' pops!) :|

Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.
-Raymond Lindquist