Derekbox

Insane BASE Video (McConkey)

Seems a bit foolish - a guaranteed stepthrough that you have to land. I wonder if he overrotated accidentally.
At BD2000, Tim's "wad" was interesting. Instead of holding his PC in his hand as he exited, he held his canopy in his hand and threw it. Worked, too.
-bill von

> I wonder if he overrotated accidentally.
Actually, it's pretty much impossible to over rotate. No matter how hard you tuck, unless you have competitive diving/gymnastics experience, you are unlikely to make it too far.
Under rotating is similarly difficult, although no one has really tried to do a standup.
The lines and risers pretty much guide you into the correct position regardless of your launch.
> Seems a bit foolish
Funny, that's what whuffos say about you...
--Tom Aiello
[email protected]

If you want I can just email you the file. I also have a shorter (196k) version if you're running a skinny pipe.
I put that up because I wanted to test out Apple's free web site capabilities. I didn't tell anyone it was there at all. It took Derek all of five hours to find it.
Derek, how did you find it? And did you watch the other two as well? I thought Choppy's wingsuit flight was the best of the bunch.
--Tom Aiello
[email protected]

Nice shit... Reminds me of a student who just a few days ago rotated a backflip when opening her chute. (5 second freefall spring PC ) She actually went between her risers so she had one twist in both sides.. (i wonder if she even noticed them in the air )

>> Seems a bit foolish
>Funny, that's what whuffos say about you...
Oh, no doubt. But I'm sure other BASE jumpers would call my first slider-down jump (230 foot crane by myself at night, no ground crew) foolish as well. It is possible to do anything in a foolish way and a wise way, no matter how dumb the stunt is to begin with. In my case having a ground crew might have been a better idea.
-bill von

>Now that is just bad as shit. I guess you could use a normal canopy for
> that since there is no deployment, right?
You can use a normal canopy anyway. Stiletto 107's have been jumped as BASE canopies and deployed more-or-less normally. Again, not the smartest thing to do, but he survived.
-bill von

>Now that is just bad as shit. I guess you could use a normal canopy for
> that since there is no deployment, right?
You can use a normal canopy anyway. Stiletto 107's have been jumped as BASE canopies and deployed more-or-less normally. Again, not the smartest thing to do, but he survived.

Well I was really more refering to a normal rig setup, normal slider, no tailgate, etc.. What do you do about stowing your brakes in a jump like that? And do you think you take a normal pro pack and just flake it out a little ? Wonder if you could do that jump from a helicopter or if the downdraft would just yank your butt off the side...
There has to be some "safe" way to do that jump.. it looks like fun..

>Well I was really more refering to a normal rig setup, normal slider, no tailgate, etc.. What do you do about stowing your brakes
>in a jump like that?
He packed it in a normal rig with a mesh slider and a 42" PC. Other than that, no significant differences in packing. The canopy could barely fly with the 42" PC behind him - it was almost bowtieing the canopy all the way down.
-bill von

Hi Bill,
He (that's actually me) did the maneuver almost exactly as planned (one loop--I think it's be impossible to do two). And it was even my first time. The only thing I did differently the next time was launch harder out (I was too worried about that step through this time, so I tried too hard to make sure the front loop happened on schedule). By launching harder, you can keep better line tension throughout the maneuver. Performed properly, a McConkey (that's the name of the maneuver) will maintain line tension on a properly inflated canopy all the way to full flight--virtually eliminating the chance of a malfunction.
--Tom Aiello
[email protected]