Alba-Mike

canopy pulls to the right

My Spectre 170 will pull to the right if my brake lines are twisted over time. If the brake lines get twisted over time they will shorten causing the canopy to pull in one direction or the other even when brakes are stowed. Have him lay out the canopy and do a brake line check. If that doesn't help then have him do a line check. Canopy manufactures provide the proper line trim lengths per canopy. They all vary from different size also. Or have his rigger check the lines.

Also an uneven load will cause the canopy to pull. Say if you lower your left leg by tilting your hip will cause the canopy to turn left. Also if he doesn't have his leg straps even it will cause the canopy to turn but most of those cases are more common in higher loaded or high performance canopies. It still is possible to happen in a 1:1 loaded canopy that is not high performance.

Something else that I had happen to my canopy was that there somehow some fibers that got rolled together and just small enough to not see unless you're looking right at it, but it formed a kind of a ring. The ring somehow ended up above the cascades for the brake attachments and would cause a slow but noticeable turn.

Was the darndest thing I'd seen up to that point.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Used equipment is sold as is IMO. But,

Bluhdow

Have him take it to a rigger for inspection:

1. If the rigger finds something wrong refund him and pay for the rigger/return shipping.

2. If the rigger says it looks good then it's not your problem anymore.

Before that:

Check your brake lines for twists.

And make sure you are sitting symmetrically in your harness.
Remster

wildcard451

You had no problems with it.

He failed to have it inspected and/or test jump it prior to buying it.

He should have been more thorough.

I'm with Wildcard on this one. Unless you and the buyer agreed to allow "test Jumps", it's on the buyer to figure it out. It may be that they are just inducing a harness turn.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Alba-Mike

Just sold my canopy. Now the guy is wanting a refund because the canopy does not fly straight it turns to the right.
What causes this?
Is this my concern as I have already sold the canopy?
I had no problems when I jumped it.

What size of canopy is it?
How many jumps on the canopy?
What WL was that on you?
What WL is that on the buyer?
Is it always turning, or only with brakes stowed, or more with brakes stowed than released?

Making a harnessturn is much easier with brakes set and at a higher WL.

Hi

I recently purchased a Pilot 168 ZPX from a staff member at my DZ. It has a new line set on it and the guy told me in the spirit of full disclosure that the canopy has a slight right turning tendency and it did it even prior to the new line set.

I jumped it for a day and tried (at altitude) stalls, flight in deep brakes, flat turns and anything else I could think of and it flew perfectly for me.

The only thing I could think of is that the guy I bought it off may not sit quite symmetrically in his harness.

My guess is that something similar is going on with the new owner of your canopy.

Cheers

likestojump

***He needs to check the air pressure in the stabilizer, might be low.

or the canopy might just be low on the steering fluid ...

or one of his ass cheeks might be larger than the other

riggerrob

******He needs to check the air pressure in the stabilizer, might be low.

or the canopy might just be low on the steering fluid ...

or one of his ass cheeks might be larger than the otherI'm so tired of AFF courses that neglect to teach the importance of measuring your ass cheek circumference before every jump.
Don't let the fact that I sound like I think that I know what I'm talking about fool you. I know that I don't know what I'm talking about