Brodi3687

Sabre 2 vs Safire 2 vs Pilot

I've heard these 3 are pretty similar in characteristics. I've made about 50 jumps on a sabre 2 150 and loved the way it flew. If I wanted to be the first down, I was able to do so. If I was long out or just wanted to hang out then could. So I am wondering on everyone opinion with all three being that I am downsizing to the 150 range. Thanks

I've flow all three when I was at varying skill levels. My knowledge is incomplete but I'd say that the Sabre2 is a little better than the Pilot and both are way better than the Safire2.

I felt the Safire2 had a funny distribution of where you got your flare power in the stroke. It seemed like all of the flare came between 3/4 and full brakes. I've heard other people say something similar.

I recall the Sabre2 being a little steeper and faster than the pilot with a bit more in the flare but I liked both.

All three open softly.
Don't let the fact that I sound like I think that I know what I'm talking about fool you. I know that I don't know what I'm talking about

Not jumped a Safire2, but preferred the Pilot to the Sabre2. I've jumped the Pilot in 150, 132, 124 and 117 sizes, and the Sabre2 in the 135. I didn't like the Sabre2 much, it just felt quite docile by comparison. I didn't do that many jumps on it.

The Pilot opened better, more reliabley on heading and without end cell closure. It also felt more responsive in toggle turns, which I liked.

The flare of the Pilot was much deeper in the toggle stroke than the Sabre2, but both had decent flare if flared well. And by that I mean if you do a "Sabre2 flare" on a Pilot, it won't feel like it flares well, and vice versa.

My old team mates were jumping all 3 at a training camp last year, and each of them picked the Pilot as their favourite.

But everyone is different.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

safire 2 :D

jumped the Sabre 2 for a while - flies great but Sabre 2's are known to swing around on opening and that's what mine did.

Safire 2 opens great - soft and always on heading (unless I do something weird). Also I find the toggle pressure lighter and more fun to fly. At almost 500 jumps I am still doing 'baby' approaches (not using my front risers basically because I have no interest in that - yet) and my Safire gives me with no wind a nice 'swoop' while flaring because it flies so flat.

I demoed the Pilot as well - I think it has a combination of both Sabre 2 and Safire 2 but found it a little more boring....
good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere

theplummeter

Maybe try a Fusion as well. I just went from a Stiletto to a Fusion (was previously on a Safire2) and am loving the openings and flare. It's very similar to the Sabre2 and Safire2 but cheaper with a nice lineset and lighter front riser pressure.

on my 2nd Fusion, love it.
cavete terrae.

I have 100 jumps on sabre 2 150 loaded at1.2
And 200 jumps on Safire 2 129.

Safire 2 better opening, shorter recovery arc and toggle on flair are deeper so less left for slowing forward movement in other words it feels like more of a one step flair.
Sabre 2 end cells often close on opening and less staple to but long recovery arc " better for swooping" I felt it was easier to make a 2 step flair.

I like my Safire because I am more comfortable wing suiting with it the a sabre.
That's my experience with these 2 Canopies.

Fair enough. Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I would demo a Safire 2 and the Pilot and make your comparison with the experience you have on the Sabre2. Other people opinions may be different than yours.

On that note, my opinion:
I've jumped a [email protected] to 1.4 and [email protected].

- The Sabre2 openings are fine but I get the occasional off-heading openings, and these lessened as my body position during deployment had gotten better. I was able to get soft openings on both, but had more on heading openings with the Safire.
- Both canopies are fun to fly in the sky with toggles or risers.
- On normal straight in landings, I prefer Sabre2 over Safire2. The Sabre2 just had more range and was more forgiving. Like during light wind days, If I had flared too early with the Safire, I wouldn't have the bottom end like the Sabre2 to finish the flare.

Personally, I've chosen the Sabre2 because, like you said, it is fun to fly.