gianquittia

Louie loop...what side of front riser

I just got a new Vector3. Type 8 risers with Louie loops. The loops are on the front side of the front risers:

[inline louie_loop.jpg]

Design change? UPT are closed until the 5th of January, so no one to ask there.

Design change, or new person on the production line making an error that's too subtle to be noticed on inspection? Please do let us know. If it is a new design I don't want it.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I'm quite sure it's a production error because how are you supposed to attach the lines?
Normally you have to shape the riser smaler to fit both the riser and lines.
Now you add another layer of webbing in between.

And each time you pull the front risers they will rubb on the softlinks.

Here is the link to the UPT web page. http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/index.php/og/item/rasta-rig

But 'loop' works in either position. As on website you grab the loop, as in photo above you grab the riser. Either way the bottom of the 'loop' takes the load against the side of your hand. In the old days I've seen regular dive loops on the front again with the intent to grab the riser and still keep your hand from sliding down.

But photo and OP description is different from web page.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

leon.hill

Could it be the difference that the OP has TY8 risers? All the photos on UPTs page are with TY17…Just a thought.

OP doesn't specify what risers he has and I brought this thread back from 2013. I don't see why the riser type would change the loop orientation. If this was designed so that you grab the riser rather than the loop, then type 8 actually makes it more difficult and uncomfortable to do that. It's very stiff right where your hand would go. The loop, on the other hand, is soft and would distribute the force on the fingers much better if it was on the rear of the riser.

I'm leaning more toward a manufacturing error. Will contact UPT when they are back from vacation and report back.

jumpsalot-2

I doubt that your pair was the only backwards application .... if someone was banging them out one day and was on a roll .
:S

Probably not. I'd doubt they make very many type 8 risers with Louie loops.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.