Mentosfresh

Wingsuit odor

Mentosfresh

I bought a used wingsuit and I've given it two washes, but I still cannot completely get the smell of body odor out from the previous owner. Especially in the armpit area wooo. Any advice on how to get the stench out? I'm using Woolite delicates.

try and leave it soak in the woolite for a few days, see if that helps.

normiss

don't buy suits from the Europeans.
:P

Yes clearly this was your first mistake.

Soooo, first of all you aren't using enough soap or the suit actually has stuff growing in it.

Use more soap and put a cup of Simple Green in the soap dispenser. Rinse very well. Don't use Simple Green often, it is pretty aggressive.

P.S. I use a front load washer and throw a couple towels in with the suit. This "hand wash because it might disintegrate" stuff is nonsense. Wingsuits aren't even remotely that delicate.

Why woolite? These suits are designed to withstand high freefall speeds, openings and rough landings. Surely, yours can survive a washing maching and real detergent.

When I wash my jumpsuits, I use regular detergent and oxy clean. One pre-wash/ soak cycle, then a regular wash with cold water. I do NOT put them in the dryer. I have never had any problems. The colors are good as new and any wear and tear is from use, not cleaning. (My RW suit has some glittery fabric on it, and the glitter has rubbed off my sleeves from people taking grips.....) Jumpsuits (and wingsuits) should be made well enough to withstand a regular machine wash. If they aren't, you are buying from the wrong manufacturer.

If you keep treating your wing suit like a delicate silk garment, then get used to the smell. (Most of those delicate silk blouses get pretty stinky too........)

Mentosfresh

I am using a top load machine on a delicate cycle.

I'd try soaking it for a couple hours in a bathtub filled 1/2 way with lukewarm water, with 3 capfulls of normal Woolite mixed in.

Then pour some woolite directly on the bad areas, massage it in with your fingers, and let that sit for 10-15 minutes. Then maybe scrub those areas lightly with a light brush, but you probly don't have one with bristles soft enough to avoid damaging the fabric, so maybe just agitate those areas.

Rinse thoroughly a few times in cold water & hang it to dry.

Chris

Got to a pet store and buy a bottle of the stuff used to remove pet stains and odor from carpet. There are a couple that are "natural" "enzyme action" that I have found to be safe on most materials. Will also work if an animal pisses on your gear at a dog friendly DZ.

Good luck

Doug

Simple green isn't too aggressive even once? Interesting to consider if used carefully I think...

I agree they aren't that delicate - easy to clean.
The Oxy-clean stuff has worked well for me.
Cold water, good brand cold water detergent.
Oxy-whateverthehellitiscleanerpowder.
hang dry avoiding direct sunlight

normiss

Simple green isn't too aggressive even once? Interesting to consider if used carefully I think...

I wouldn't use it on every day odor or cleaning but for something hard to get rid of like the OP stated, I would say it's justified.

I use SG a lot on my work clothes because of grease,oil,creosote, and super funky BO. After a while you can tell it takes a toll on the fabric (cotton and nylon) but it takes several washes before I start to notice.

I've used it on a wingsuit once with no noticeable ill effect.

Sufficient dilution makes it more tolerable for the fabric. 1 cup is the most I use in a wash cycle.

Mentosfresh

I bought a used wingsuit and I've given it two washes, but I still cannot completely get the smell of body odor out from the previous owner. Especially in the armpit area wooo. Any advice on how to get the stench out? I'm using Woolite delicates.

Try using a solution of warm water and good old Arm and Hammer baking soda in the sink. Rub the baking soda on the pit areas and let soak while agitating the water. After soaking,rinse it out and hang it up on a non metal hanger in the shade and let air dry.

If you use a washing machine make sure you place your wingsuit in a delicate garment bag (mesh sack) so that it doesn't get wrapped around the agitator in the machine. You can potentially damage your suit if you don't use the garment bag. Use the gentle/delicate cycle and DO NOT spin it. Again you can use Arm and Hammer detergent known as Arm and Hammer washing Soda to work on the tough odors. Pull it out after washing and hang it up to dry in the shade.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Woo so I got it to work! I made a baking soda paste of 3 parts baking soda and 1 part water. I rubbed the paste into the "problem" areas and let it sit for an hour. The suit was then thrown into the wash with Woolite and I let it soak for 15 minutes. I finished it off with a delicate wash cycle and hung it up to dry.

Mentosfresh

Woo so I got it to work! I made a baking soda paste of 3 parts baking soda and 1 part water. I rubbed the paste into the "problem" areas and let it sit for an hour. The suit was then thrown into the wash with Woolite and I let it soak for 15 minutes. I finished it off with a delicate wash cycle and hung it up to dry.

Good to hear. Your fellow jumpers will appreciate it as much as you. :)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING