yafuk

first rig help

Ive got 25 jumps and I wanna buy my first rig. Im about 140#s and 5'7-5'8. I been jumping a 240 but my last 2 jumps have been on a 220 whichhas been way better than the 240 in comfort and performance. Im thinking a 190 or 180 but any help would be great..

my advice, wait till have a few more jumps. Then ask around your home DZ to experienced instructors and jumpers about advice. Jump as many demo canopies that you can (i.e DZ rental gear) and figure out what you like. This sport has LOTS of gear options its best to go into such a big investment well informed, it will help you make a better decision and keep you happier longer.

i bet your question is the most asked in this forum...

i would suggest jump more, jump different dropzones so u can try out different canopys.

for example: think about 50 jumps later you maybe want to go into CRW than a storm would be handy.

Without going into specifics, get something used because expect to biff some landings and you don't want to drag a new container through the mud. Talk with your instructors about canopies because no one here can know how you handle certain wings. And an AAD. Make sure you set a little cash aside to buy beer after you make your first jump on your own equipment. ;)

Take advantage of the rental gear at the DZ, and try the different canopied they have. Only move to a smaller size when you have made several successful jumps on the current size, and have the support of your instructors that you're ready for the smaller size.

Once you find a size that you're comfortable with (and I would say that 170 would be the smallest you should go right now) look around for a used rig. You want to buy used because buying new just isn't worth the investment for a first rig. You're too new, your skills aren't developed enough, and the money could be better spent elsewhere.

It's like buying a car for a teenager. You don't want to run right out and buy a brand new car for a teenagers first car. Maybe you spend $6k or $8k on a nice, 10 year old used car, and let them drive that for a year or two. They can scrape/bump anything they want, and learn the finer points of driving and taking care of a car. After a year or two, if you want to buy them a brand new car, you stand a much better of chance of picking the right car and having them be better able to take care of a new car.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Buy used, and spend the $2k to $4k you're going to save over a buying new and spend it on jumps. You need 100 more jumps in your logbook waaay more than you need a brand new rig.