randyb

Cookie G3 sizing

I'm looking to buy the G3 but am a little surprised that their sizing chart puts me in an XL (measure right about 22.5" around my head just above eyebrows and ears) when every other helmet I've ever had or used has been a medium. For those that have bought these helmets, did you find the sizing chart to be fairly true to your fit? I'm just worried ordering an XL that it'll be way too big and I'll have to return.

Thanks!

They do tend to run a bit small, but that seems a bit far off. Your best bet is to see if you can try one on before you order it; is there a gear store nearby? Or, check around your local dropzone or tunnel (if you have one) and ask to see if you can try one on.

Full face helmet fit can be weird - it's not just the size of your head, but also the shape of your head and face that matters; being able to try before you buy may be less frustrating. :)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

randyb

I'm looking to buy the G3 but am a little surprised that their sizing chart puts me in an XL (measure right about 22.5" around my head just above eyebrows and ears) when every other helmet I've ever had or used has been a medium. For those that have bought these helmets, did you find the sizing chart to be fairly true to your fit?

Cookie's chart had me as XXL, but when I tried them on at my gear shop, my size was clearly L. XXL would have fallen off my head in freefall.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

Not all full face helmets are the same shape. Head circumference is not the only important thing.

I can fit into the biggest G3, but not the biggest Phantom, even though they are nominally about the same size - one is more like my head shape than the other. Others will be the other way.

Unless you are absolutely sure you can give it back if it doesn't fit, do not buy a full face helmet you haven't tried on, at least someone else's.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I usually take an M-L in motorbike helmets.

I ordered an XL cookie ozone based on their sizing chart and it was too small, I had to sell it and order an XXL which only just fits (had to burn new holes in the chin strap to extend it the shell itself was just big enough).

There are some people who simply can't buy a cookie helmet cause none fit them. Their sizing chart is ridiculous.

Wow. Did ANYBODY'S head fit the G3 helmet that the chart said it would? Anybody at all?

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

I was finally able to try a couple from other people and the XL is what fit, exactly where the sizing chart put me. There was no way a large would have worked. Got one ordered and jumped it today and am totally impressed by how comfortable and easy to use it is. The field if vision is great.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

AnalMike

Couldn't agree more! After all, my schnoze was the deciding factor in my sizing - an XXL! Best helmet I have ever bought (thanks Krisanne!!!).

I'm still surprised you didn't have to have a custom visor to get that honker to fit inside a full face. Hell, wonders will never cease to amaze me.;)
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Just for a record: my head size is exactly 22 1/4" which is the upper bound for L and lower bound for XL. I have a friend with the exact same issue, he said he's got L and it fits, so I've ordered L too. It fits me perfectly!
I'm not very amused by the quality of a helmet bag. The helmet smells plastic or paint quite strong. The plastic looks very thin and soft. My second helmet is russian noname fiberglass Z1 copy, and it looks and feels much more durable then G3 and costs much less.
But still - field of view is amazing, G3 looks cool, fits well and is very comfortable. Plus there is enough place behind the opened visor to attach camera safely.

dpreguy

Nope.
Their sizing chart is way off. Got a XL from supplier and it was way too tight. Sent it back and ordered a XXL and will get it in about 3 days. I am worried it might still be too small. On everything else I wear a Large.

Their sizing chart differs from the other manufacturers, sure. My second helmet is M size. My G3 is L. But it's quite accurate by itself. Yes, it fits quite tight - that's what I expect from a helmet. Bear in mind that foam will wear off and it'll become more loose in time.

As stated above, the G3 does run smaller than most other manufacturer's full face helmets.

Also as stated above, head circumference is merely one variable in sizing. There are many odd shaped noggins out there. My head's circumference measures exactly 22" but I have to wear an XL G3. I test jumped a Large, and it was OK, but when I put my audible in XL was clearly the way to go. That's one opportunity for improvement of the G3, increased room for audibles.

If at all possible, try on helmets before you buy.