Kalrigan

Good audible?

I've started looking into audibles, and I'm planning to buy some time in the near future. I was wondering what's a good audible to get? I've been looking at a few of them and I'm not quite sure which one would be good enough to do the job, one with the basic features covered that every skydiver should have in their audible.

I love my solo2! For a basic audible, its awesome. It has 3 freefall alarms you can set between 1500-6500. It doesn't log any data, just something cool to have inside you helmet. I just use mine for breakoff, wave off, and my hard deck. I also use a neptune2 that has a couple of freefall preset which also has 3 alarms each and has the same for canopy alarms. But haven't tested out the alarms for on it so can't comment as much on that.

Kalrigan

***If you are looking for no logging ability and simple operation. Either a SOLO or Pro-Dytter from L&B are great.

Would you say the logging ability is worth having?

It doesn't add a huge amount to the cost (especially if you buy used) and it's a nice feature to have. But it's far from required.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

if you don't mind wearing earbuds, the N3A is pretty sweet. You get 3 Freefall Alerts & 3 Canopy Alerts... Plus a countdown telling you your altitude every 1000 feet. It a got a log as well.

I REALLY like mine! Now with all of that said, take a look at my jump #s and decide for yourself how much my opinion is worth B|

You're right NWFlyer, the price difference is small so I guess might as well get one with all the features.

Iago, I can't rely on my eyes yet. I mean I look at the ground every time I'm flying to see how it looks at differen altitudes, but it's going to take time for me to be completely comfortable with that.

Phreeloader, N3A you say? I'll check it out, that sounds nice.

Thanks guys.

depends on what u want what i love about my old solo is the factor that i never need to think about it, just leave it inside the helmet.

you can set 3 alarms and on the way up the device starts and gives you an acustic feedback this feedback changes if battery gets low and you know its time to replace it, its just simple and good.

but if you are looking for a hightec toy with logs and stuff this would be the wrong device.

Kalrigan

Phreeloader, N3A you say? I'll check it out, that sounds nice.

Yep N3 Audio by Alti-2 ... the whole reason i bought mine was for the countdown feature... Like you, I'm still teaching my eyes & rely heavily on my altimeter... I'm also still struggling to get a good feel for time while in freefall, so I would be practicing tracking in a delta position. And with my altimeter behind my back I was tracking for a few seconds, then checking my altimeter.. wash-rinse-repeat ... with my N3A I get a verbal countdown in my ear the whole time 12, 11, 10, 9 8 etc... it took a lot of the stress out of wondering how high i was and allowed me to focus on trying to track flat and straight. As well as helping me to train my eyes in the process since I was getting a reading every thousand feet.

I love it

Kalrigan

I mean I look at the ground every time I'm flying to see how it looks at differen altitudes, but it's going to take time for me to be completely comfortable with that.

There's also the argument that while you're still training your eyes and learning altitude awareness, you'd be better off NOT buying an audible altimeter. That's the argument I heard when I was a newbie skydiver, and I didn't get my first audible till around 200 jumps.

Waiting that long forced me to develop good habits of checking my wrist altimeter, and also helped me to develop both my eyes and my internal clock. Because I do mostly the same types of jumps (belly flying in the smallish group range, either 4- or 8-way training, or small to medium sized group fun jumps), most of my skydives last the same amount of time, give or take a couple of seconds, so my internal clock is pretty finely tuned. It's only when I exit at a substantially different altitude (higher or lower) that I can't rely as much on the internal clock. But, I am very rarely caught off guard by my audibles; in fact, usually it's the other way around, where I find myself wondering why it's not breakoff time yet.

All this is not to say "don't get an audible yet" but it's food for thought about continuing to build those good habits of checking your altimeter, using your eyes, and developing that internal clock, rather than relying on an audible instead.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

***I mean I look at the ground every time I'm flying to see how it looks at differen altitudes, but it's going to take time for me to be completely comfortable with that.

There's also the argument that while you're still training your eyes and learning altitude awareness, you'd be better off NOT buying an audible altimeter. That's the argument I heard when I was a newbie skydiver, and I didn't get my first audible till around 200 jumps.

Waiting that long forced me to develop good habits of checking my wrist altimeter, and also helped me to develop both my eyes and my internal clock. Because I do mostly the same types of jumps (belly flying in the smallish group range, either 4- or 8-way training, or small to medium sized group fun jumps), most of my skydives last the same amount of time, give or take a couple of seconds, so my internal clock is pretty finely tuned. It's only when I exit at a substantially different altitude (higher or lower) that I can't rely as much on the internal clock. But, I am very rarely caught off guard by my audibles; in fact, usually it's the other way around, where I find myself wondering why it's not breakoff time yet.

All this is not to say "don't get an audible yet" but it's food for thought about continuing to build those good habits of checking your altimeter, using your eyes, and developing that internal clock, rather than relying on an audible instead.

Oh I completely agree with that. That advice was given to me when I started and I'm sticking to it. The habit of checking the alti frequently is something I want to always keep. Having that and training my eyes to the altitude I think is very essential.

Sometimes when I jump with my friends who have hundreds of jumps, I feel that I check my alti too much in comparison but it's fine, I'm ok with that. They are more experienced, they have better sense of time in the air, and they have audibles as well. I'm ok with checking my alti every 3-4 seconds right now. I'm just thinking of the future, when I start doing real formations, I think it would be nice to have for break off time and what not.

I appreciate your advice though, good to hear from someone who stayed without an audible for a few hundred jumps.

JohnnyMarko

Anything L&B

This.
I'm a fan of the Optima because it allows for fine-adjustments that are valuable. Solo only works in 500' increments. Several helmets are available with external-access pockets for the Optima, too.
And the kicker is, L&B customer service is simply the benchmark for our sport.

Hey guys, reviving the discussion... I'm also in the market for an audible.

Looking at the L&B's on chutingstar...

1. ProTrack $309
2. OptimaII $237
3. SoloII $194
4. Quattro $237

1. I'm leaning toward the data logging option... So the protrack is the only with this feature, correct?
2. Is a visual warning that much benefit (OptimaII has option)?
3. Should all four fit in most helmets?
4. Used vs New... worth the $ saved to get used?
5. Disregarding cost, is the ProTrack the "best" way to go?

Thanks guys!

Depends on what you are looking for. ProTrack sure is a good audible, but it doesn't have canopy alarms, and the volume settings are quite limited (hi/lo). Besides that it is bigger. It will fit in most helmets, but some "audible windows" that let you read and manipulate the audible are just suitable for Solo I/II, Optima I/II and Quattro.

Between Optima and Quattro, I think there is no reason to go for Optima if you buy new. However, if you find an Optima for a good price in the used market I also think there is no reason to go for a new Quattro.

If you are interested in data logging then ProTrack is the only option (in the L&B catalog), but if you end up buying a digital altimeter then you'll have some data logging functions overlapped (Both Viso and Neptune have some data logging capabilities, and I think Parasport's Altitron too).

Used vs. new.... I don't see the point of buying it new if you can find audibles in good condition with a good discount in the used market. Especially with the extremely good customer service of L&B, that will cover any defect for a very reasonable price.

Hefner413

2. Is a visual warning that much benefit (OptimaII has option)?

It might be, but then you have to deal with cable routing and closing the visor (if using fullface). The flashing option is like $50 more and then you have to buy the flashing device (LCD or LED) which is like another $50.

Thanks for the replies guys... on second thought, I may not exclude other brands... I would like to get both the canopy alarms and the data logging. I know everyone says that L&B is great.. but as mentioned before, the N3 seems to be a decent option too? Chutingstar says that it's the best "all-in-one" that they have? It seems to have pretty good logging ability and also has canopy alarms. Plus it can be worn on the wrist or helmet. I'm confused though... can it be worn inside the helmet? I assume so, but chutingstar lists it as outside helmet, wrist, or hand... Having the speaker and thus the ability to put it inside the helmet would be the only reason to get the N3 over the N3A (without the speaker), correct?

I also still use an L&B Pro-Dytter (basically an old version of the Solo) which is about 9ish years old. Still works perfectly.

I had an Optima 1 for a while until I crushed it somehow. I liked the swoop alarms but I really haven't needed or missed them lately so I haven't replaced it yet.

I use a Viso 1 for logging and a visual altimeter. I mostly use that for under canopy though.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080