roostnureye

looking for singer machine opinions

roostnureye

i am in the market for a machine to start some basic rigging with, ive read about the older japanese singer 20u, just wondering what you reccomend for someone starting out on a budget. thank you.

Old 20u's are pretty good, I know many riggers that would fight to keep them. My first machine was a 31-15 straight stitch... it runs like, well like a sewing machine. :)
If you've got a good deal on the older 20u, post up the details and let us be the judge.

FWIW, I got my 31-15 off craigslist for about $50 and it just needed some cleaning up. I see them on there all the time.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I did a lot of rigging, including making toggles sewing zig zag through 6 layers of 1" type I, with an older metal geared home machine. I've use both a viking and a Necchi. Your looking for ones from the 50's and 60's. These have went up in price lately and seem to be going for $250.

Right now in my area (MI) there is a Pfaff 238 zig zag on a table for $300. This is the second most desirable zig zag for older machines and some manufacturers use them. I haven't decided whether to buy it or not since I already have one.

An older 20U is a good choice but will go for $400 and up if the owner knows what they have. Here's one in your area. http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/art/4046682904.html

A Consew 199R-1 is also a good choice but will be $400 to $1000 depending on local market. Several just sold today from the government liquidation auction in Ohio for not a lot. They were $105 last night. Don't know how bidding went today and they were like new.

Watch craigslist, I've bought off ebay, and I've bought from http://www.govliquidation.com. Look for businesses going out of business also. Got a machine worth $3000 for $600 at a business liquidation sale.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE