sangiro

Near miss

Holy Shit! That's one scary clip...

I used to jump at an airport that also had a bomber base. I can remember at least one occasion that we shut down for the day due to all the bombers in the air. That clip makes me real glad we did!

We get quite a few unannounced overflights at Raeford since we are so near Fort Bragg and Pope Airforce Base. Sometimes helicopters, sometimes entire sorties of C-130's. We always see them and have never had a close call, but they just don't talk on civilian freqs. As a result, all of the Fayetteville controllers do a good job of keeping local air traffic aware when there is a lot of military traffic.

Chuck

If quad engine tanker planes were flying over the center of my DZ at 3000' without radio contact, I would find something else to do for the day.

If I ever found that pilot I can assure you he would find out what a 55 gallon drum of Whoop Ass is. If that was a regular occurance I would have no problem going to the store for 2 cases of beer and a couple thousand rounds of 7.62X39 tracers.....;)

this story, and video is WAY scary. i'm in utter dissbelief. i can't believe the pilot didn't know that a dropzone was perfoming jump activity. i bet the fellow who almost got run down, want's a piece of that pilot's ass by now! B|
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

HOly Shit was my 1st thought. that would make me change a few items of clothing!

btw Vikings your reply to clay buying 2 cases and rounds of ammo was priceless!

crazy video on that. but that pilot shoulda been aware of his airspace too ! isnt that true?! wtf was he/she doing there?
My photos

My Videos

There really isn't any excuse for that.... It's not just that somebody fucked up, it's that EVERYBODY fucked up. This almost was another example of how a chain of events leads up to tragedy.

The bomber should've been on the radio, and aware of where he was.

ATC should've seen the bomber, and alerted the jump plane pilot.

The jumper should've checked for traffic before leaving.

The dz (and through them, the pilot) should've had ground spotters since this is a frequent occurance. This isnt' that far-fetched. Eloy almost always has a ground spotter with a radio - I'm pretty sure this guy called a go-round because of traffic when we were all there memorial day weekend.

I'm glad that chain wasn't completed.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

We get quite a few unannounced overflights at Raeford since we are so near Fort Bragg and Pope Airforce Base. Sometimes helicopters, sometimes entire sorties of C-130's. We always see them and have never had a close call, but they just don't talk on civilian freqs.

In my experience, most military aircraft don't have VHF receivers, only UHF. Most civilians use VHF and most military use UHF.

Scariest thing in the world is flying into a closed airport at night with a CTAF and finding out there is a military plane there with you. :o
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

My thoughts on the incident....

The lucky jumper has the forsight to get the alt on film.

or

He did the Catholic sign of the cross with the wrong hand.

and

I hope the plane went thru the yellow trail of pee-pee.

and

There is sound but none from the jumper.

(am I the only one who records hard opening cussing?)

~AirAnn~

freeflir29

I would have no problem going to the store for 2 cases of beer and a couple thousand rounds of 7.62X39 tracers.

That's it dude? Here in Texas we have SAM's and Kegs of beer. You guys in Georgia are a buncha wussies!! heheh B|:D

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Actually, there was a fire in Casper WY that they were flying up to contain. This was the third incident during the day that one of the slurry bomber crews had flown through the DZ. DZO was attempting to get to the Forest Service briefing the next morning. Not sure if that happened or not. It was quite scary from the ground too. The Hayman fire is Southwest of the Denver metro area and that particular day, those slurry bombers were refueling/reloading at Centennial and the Casper WY bombers were refueling/reloading at Jeffco, approx 25-35 miles south of the DZ.
Remember to look before you jump - although in this case it wouldn't have helped... :o

Bluez~~~

Michael

In my experience, most military aircraft don't have VHF receivers, only UHF

Uuummmm....how long ago was this??? Every helicopter I have ever ridden on had at least UHF/VHF and FM. Some multiple of each. When you get to Cargo aircraft such as 130's they have at least 2 each of UHF/VHF, HF, and most of the time a Satcom as well. Not saying that they are bothering listening to any of them but I can assure you that they have them. ;)

> There really isn't any excuse for that.... It's not
> just that somebody fucked up, it's that
> EVERYBODY fucked up. This almost was another
> example of how a chain of events leads up to
> tragedy.
>
> The bomber should've been on the radio, and
> aware of where he was.
Well, he was on the radio and aware of where he
was, just the wrong frequency.

> ATC should've seen the bomber, and alerted the
> jump plane pilot.
ATC had alerted the jump pilot and he did make the
jumpers aware that there were slurry bombers in the
area. We were all on the lookout for them the rest
of day. We were also aware that ATC was unable to
raise the slurry bomber pilot on the radio. Our DZ
is just outside of Denver approach and the
altitude the SB was flying at, he did not need to
contact ATC.

> The jumper should've checked for traffic before
> leaving.
He did, just as the rest of us did. Door was facing
South, SB came from the North.

> The dz (and through them, the pilot) should've
> had ground spotters since this is a frequent
> occurance. This isnt' that far-fetched. Eloy almost
> always has a ground spotter with a radio - I'm
> pretty sure this guy called a go-round because of
> traffic when we were all there memorial day
> weekend.
Because of where the landing area is, trailer ride
from landing area, the driver is the ground spotter
as well. The winds were light, but in a direction that
made the distinct noise of a piston hard to hear.

>I'm glad that chain wasn't completed.
Ditto...I'd miss Peter's occasional whining...

Michael
-----
~~~Michael

This is a joke, right? I mean, if this guy is really a freeflyer, what the hell is he doing breaking-off at 6,000 feet and why hasn't he got a wide-enough angle to get the whole of the plane in as it flys past underneath him?!

Seriously though, I would be doubting this if Michael hand't chipped in with some "official" sounding confirmation.

How easy would this be to fake? This is a very high speed incident and the plane would only have to be, and is, in view for a couple of frames. There is some blockiness around the plane but this could be just to do with the MPEG compression. Purely subjectively, the vertical distance seems to increase more than the horizontal which implies that the plane is flying horizontally slower than terminal?

How can you hear the direction from which a plane is flying? Ok, probably a poor choice of words, but how easy is it to hear the engines of a plane in freefall? It's hard to remember for how long I am aware of that noise adter exit; more important things to worry about usually. What kind of helmet was Peter wearing? Most certainly covers the ears if it's a camera helmet.

I don't know about falling "between the vertical stabilizer and elevator". It looks like the plane completely passes underneath in the four frames in which it occurs. It's difficult to tell from the angle and the width of the lens but from the position I would guess that they wouldn't have collided even if the timing had been different.

And what is with all the alti checks? And the glitches on the video?

Collision between skydivers and aircraft have occured before, the last onevery recently here in the UK and I don't mean to belittle this; I'm just playing Devil's advocate. If it's real, I'm glad this guy was lucky and didn't turn out as another fatality.

Do the FAA have a Near Miss reporting system where this can be verified? :-)

I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist, honest! Now I'm going to sit back and wait for the flames...

While you may not like the idea you might contact the FAA. Call the Denver FSDO and talk with someone. Aircraft need to talk to someone. Was the local ATC ever asked if that target had been on their radar or was their radar not looking that low?

The FARs state that jump planes have to be in contact with ATC before jumping. It sounds like your pilot was. Did he call the Supervisor and ask why he was not informed of that target transiting the area?

Chris Schindler
www.DiverDriver.com

Indeed! I've considered this, expecially with regards to claims for Speed Skydiving world records. The format of the data is pretty simple and could be recreated artificially fairly easily. The art would come in making it look real. I couldn't be bothered but I bet there are people out there who could be! A smooth acceleration and matching decceleration with and average of 350 mph right in the 1km measuring zone would arouse my suspicions!

Anyone else notice how Willem didn't discount any of my observations? :-)

For the record, my 'observation' of the incident was from just outside one of the hangars at the DZ, on the North side of the runway. Landing area is on the South side. I was in the office, heard the call for a wind check and headed outside.
I was working, but had made a couple fun jumps during the day, none included an encounter with a bomber. None of the observers outside the hanger, mostly experience jumpers & a couple whuffo's, heard the bomber until the jump plane was on decent.
From the video side, the wideangle lense on Peter's camera is a .45 (I believe), so had he been higher, you would have seen the whole plane.
As Paul Harvey would say, that is the rest of the story...

Michael
-----
~~~Michael