texmex

Sigma Cost of Ownership

I am trying to breakdown the cost per jump of the Sigmas...Does anyone know if their is published info on these numbers or a maintenance schedule or know first hand whatbthese figures are? These are my estimates:

Replacement parts (i.e.) Drogues/kill lines, secondary bungees, main canopy replacement relines, etc) $5/jump

Rigging (not including parts cost, only hourly rate for work) $3/jump.

Thanks all

My first guess would be $60 per jump.
If you look at the UPT website, they list expected "lives" of various components (drogues, drogue kill-lines, etc.) then another page lists retail prices and factory labour charges to replace them.
Do the math.
Remember that smart tandem owners get major work (e.g. re-lines) done over the winter, and order replacement parts (e.g. drogues) when the old components are "tired" but well before they break..

texmex

Seems a bit high. That number could be accurate assuming you throw the container away like UPT recommends after 1,000 jumps...

Throw away after 1,000 jumps?
Hah!
Hah!
A tandem containers should be good for more like 5,000 jumps, after a mid-life re-fit.

I just told a customer to take his Next tandem containers to the factory - for new harness bits - but his containers still have plenty of life remaining.

riggerrob

My first guess would be $60 per jump.

There is no way that is accurate. If it were, my DZ would have been out of business a long time ago.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Fast

***My first guess would be $60 per jump.

There is no way that is accurate. If it were, my DZ would have been out of business a long time ago.

....................................................................................

$60 per jump is what one tandem owner charges the local DZO to lease his tandem rigs.
Is it any wonder that the local DZO is buying his own tandem rigs as fast as he can afford to?????

$60 per jump is what one tandem owner charges the local DZO to lease his tandem rigs.
Is it any wonder that the local DZO is buying his own tandem rigs as fast as he can afford to?????

Given those facts, there's no way the rig can cost $60/jump to maintain.

The rig owner in your example certainly isn't giving the use of his rigs away for free, so if he's charging $60/jump, the actual cost has to be something less.

The DZO wouldn't take on the acquisition cost of his own tandem rigs if they were going to cost him the same $60/jump he's being charged, it would be like throwing the acquisition cost out of the window. He's buying his own because he can jump them for less than $60/jump.