offaxis

Help me decide on a container

I have been shopping for a rig and had it narrowed down to the Curv and the Javelin. I ended up ordering the Javelin mainly because of the Skyhook. Also, I really loved my last Javelin and a friend showed up at the DZ with a tricked out Odyssey that made me fall in love all over again. These are great rigs.

That being said, I had the order form for the Curv filled out with colors and measurements. Every single person I've talked with that jumped them LOVED them. No one ever just said "I like it". They gushed about it. They are priced right. Javelins... Not so much. I don't know anything about the MARD that RI is developing but if they put one out, it will be a good one.

I have an Infinity that I like but don't love. It's a good rig but IMHO not my favorite of the 3 you are looking at. The new ones really do look cool though!

offaxis

Ok I'm having a hard time deciding. I'm a free flier that has hours in the tunnel but not a lot of time in the sky. In my view this is how I've stacked up the 3 containers I'm most interested in:

Voodoo Curv:

Pros:
All inclusive - no options to mess with
Super freefly friendly
Supposed MARD system in the works

Cons:
10 weeks ( i know it's no that bad )
Can't downsize as easily as other rigs
No real track record
No current MARD system
No semi stowless D bag??

Infinity:

Pros:
Very simple and tested rig
Floating laterals
5 weeks for fully custom rig!
Can pick up the rig with two fingers under the pin protector flap

Cons:
No MARD
Not a huge fan of the closing flaps

Javelin:

Pros:
Magnetic Riser covers
Tried and tested
MARD
I can hae one in 2 weeks with a fully customized harness!

Cons:
A little pricey

Unknowns on all:
I'm having a difficult time between ordering something with a Skyhook (Javelin) or a standard RSL. I am usually pulling around 4.5K and while there is never a guarantee I try to be one of the last out of the plane (single or small group free fly).

I've spoken to a few DZ guys, some of whom swear by the simplicity of the RSL and even speak out against new conditions that the skyhook introduces and others who are sponsored jumpers by companies that don't offer the skyhook but fly a skyhook configured rig.

This controversy has me at a loss. Help me decide!

offaxis

Ok I'm having a hard time deciding. I'm a free flier that has hours in the tunnel but not a lot of time in the sky. In my view this is how I've stacked up the 3 containers I'm most interested in:

Voodoo Curv:

Pros:
All inclusive - no options to mess with
Super freefly friendly
Supposed MARD system in the works

Cons:
10 weeks ( i know it's no that bad )
Can't downsize as easily as other rigs
No real track record
No current MARD system
No semi stowless D bag??

!

I chose Curvs for a number of reasons:
~Customer service is second to none; IMO they set the standard for rig service as L&B has done for electronics.
~Curv does have a great deal of field testing and several hundred in the field. I was one of the original people jumping prototypes, and watched as the container's features shifted, were eliminated, improved. It uses the same harness as the Voodoo, arguably one of the top three rigs used by pros. IMO, it is the best (albeit most current) rig available today.
~I don't care about a MARD, not really. I can understand how some people really want one, but I'm not one of them. Some of my rigs have RSL's, others don't.
~Semi-stowless bag is available from third parties; I'm using a mix of Jerry's No-Sto bag, a privately made bag, and a UPT bag. And...you might find a stowless coming from RI very soon.
I'm not sure what you're suggesting with "not downsizing as easily." Routinely swapping between a 135 (rig looks terrific) to a 150 (sized for this main) to a 170 (pregnant, but not too tight), the pin system and open corners on the Curv makes it actually more amenable vs less amenable to downsizing/resizing.
Add in the less wear on the closing loop, the comfort (a very, very big deal for me) and the added performance (wingsuit backflying for example, is much smoother in the Curv) make it a perfect rig for me. I've owned Jav, Mirage, and Stunts, and have jumped just about everything out there.
RI's attention to customers was the final straw for me when determining a Jav vs a Voodoo, and having had experience with both companies, it's also why I choose Rigging Innovations for the wingsuit school rigs. 7 RI, one UPT, one Jav on our racks.

The link in my last post seems to work. If you look close you can see it. I don't know any thing beyond what you can see in the video. But I think it's pretty clear. It appears to be a RW-2 on the end of a short lanyard, about 12 inches. The ring is able to slide on the existing RSL allowing the RSL to extend when one riser releases preventing the RSL from pulling on the Rip cord till the Other riser releases.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Well after reading a ton of private messages from this thread and deciding that I really wanted to have a skyhook I ordered an ICON Nexgen. The rig looks amazing and the work that's gone in to it from a free flying perspective convinced me that this was the right choice.

I'm looking forward to seeing Infinity and RI come out with a MARD. No reason I can't jump 2 rigs ;)

Thanks for all the help guys!

raceface

Javelin is the only with AAD cutter on bottom and i like it.

Javelin is not the only container with the AAD cutter on the pack trap stiffener.
Granted, the stiffener does protect the cutter from breakage, but placing the cutter that deep allows more room for other errors.

May I back DSE on this?

I am still jumping my 1996 Talon 2, the rig that I bought while working in customer service at Rigging Innovations.
Since then, I have not see enough improvement in R.I. containers - to warrant buying a new container - until I saw the Voodoo Curv.
Now I would seriously consider buying a Voodoo Curv.