Hellouthere

Sizing down. Storm or sabre 2

Hi there,
I jump today with a storm 210 with a 1.28 wing load. I want to size down and I wonder I whether I should choose 190 storm or sabre 2. I hear that it is not safe to go down to sabre 2 as it is aggressive. I have not tried them. I appreciate your help by commenting on this. Thanks

Hellouthere

Hi there,
I jump today with a storm 210 with a 1.28 wing load. I want to size down and I wonder I whether I should choose 190 storm or sabre 2. I hear that it is not safe to go down to sabre 2 as it is aggressive. I have not tried them. I appreciate your help by commenting on this. Thanks

When you are ready (which may not be yet) demo them and decide for yourself. It is a matter of personal preference.

What do you mean by aggressive?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Like you, I am a big guy. I have tried a Storm 170 once and that would be my favorite parachute among the 7 cell ones. It has a quite good flare. I made almost 400 jumps on a Sabre 2-170 and I liked it a lot. It is a 9 cell with one of the best flare you could have. Both Storm 170 and Sabre 2-170 were allowing me to do nice stand up landing (with the proper technique). At more than 100 jumps you should not worry about jumping a Sabre 2-190. I tried one once and at the flare, it got up by one foot just before the touch down. Personally I prefer 9 cell parachute since they provide you with better flare and support at landing. I would recommend you the Sabre 2-190, it is a parachute with predictable moves, long toggle range which allows you to be more precise. It is not touchy and at some DZ this is what the advanced students are jumping.
Keep it flying even after the touch down and make sure you flare with arms being symetrical.;)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Hellouthere

Hi there,

Downsizing question and for added color we will add a canopy type change as well and already at 1.2?

9 cells and 7 cells fly differently, pick one, learn it well, about 200 jumps should do it and then consider changing.

Or up-size when doing this, from a 7 to a nine.

But I'm not sure downsizing from a 7 cell to a nine, any nine is a good idea.

Well actually I am sure that downsizing and changing types is clearly not a good idea....:S

C

Why do you want to kill yourself?

So with that wing loading your at 268 lbs? And that puts U according to the chart in the past expert category and just ten lbs from the not recommended limit?

And yo are considering downsizing (To a canopy that yo have absolutely no experience with) at that lbs to a Sabre 2 which is well beyond the manufacturers limit...

How many jumps do yo have at the moment?

Your profile says you have 136 jumps?
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Hellouthere

Hi there,

The canopy choice is not aggressive; the wingloading you're suggesting is very aggressive if your jump numbers are correct.
In other words, neither canopy is appropriate for you.
In terms of canopy flight, the SabreII is _less_ aggressive than the Storm. Storm is not flat in glide, and therefore it's recommended you have a lot more experience before jumping one. It's a 7 cell vs a 9 cell.

I'm a somewhat heavy dude myself and from experience I can tell even a gentle canopy can become quite aggressive when you increase the WL ;) Both are great canopies, try to borrow a sabre2 before you make up your mind! :)

I hope your profile is out of date, 136 jumps is a bit to low. You should be at roughly 300 by now or you won't be allowed to do the transition if u jump with a Swedish license (picture added).

DSE

The canopy choice is not aggressive; the wingloading you're suggesting is very aggressive if your jump numbers are correct.
In other words, neither canopy is appropriate for you.
In terms of canopy flight, the SabreII is _less_ aggressive than the Storm. Storm is not flat in glide, and therefore it's recommended you have a lot more experience before jumping one. It's a 7 cell vs a 9 cell.

It doesn't sound less aggressive than a Sabre2 that the way PD describe it:

You will find that the Storm will dive longer and lose more altitude in a turn than a comparable sized Stiletto or Silhouette, but not quite as much as a Sabre2.

In full flight the Storm will have greater speed than the Spectre, giving it more of the flight “feel” of a Sabre2

"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Hellouthere

Hi there,

Sabre2 was one of the canopies I was told is a good choice for a first canopy. I'm jumping a sabre 2 190 @ 1.15 and I'm enjoying it. I can fuck up and it's not the end of the world. Might be a different story at a 1.4ish WL though... but wouldn't that be true for any canopy?