theplummeter

Bridle attachment question

I just got a new canopy and am hooking it up myself before it goes to the rigger to get checked over. I psycho pack with a bridle extension and the new canopy does not have a metal ring to attach the extension to, just a cloth loop. I am wondering if I should just attach the extension to the pilot chute attachment point itself (cloth to cloth) or put in a rapide link. There is already a rapide link where the extension attaches to the bridle itself, in addition to the one in the bag for the kill line.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Go to the rigger, it will take 1min to hook it up properly, 5min to dismantle, and rehook.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

theplummeter

I just got a new canopy and am hooking it up myself before it goes to the rigger to get checked over. I psycho pack with a bridle extension and the new canopy does not have a metal ring to attach the extension to, just a cloth loop. I am wondering if I should just attach the extension to the pilot chute attachment point itself (cloth to cloth) or put in a rapide link. There is already a rapide link where the extension attaches to the bridle itself, in addition to the one in the bag for the kill line.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ditto the rigger.....

But then we catch heck here if we don't answere the question?????

Anyways....

If you have a PD product and a UPT container chances are they both came with instructions???

In the case of a UPT V3 new bridal and bag you just pass the bridal and PC thru the loop and it's called a larkshead knot???

But because yo haven't shown any pictures or described your equipment, it's difficult to help you.

Also implied in your question you have also indicated a ceertian level of knowledge, or lack of same...this presents a bit of a problem with a do it your self kind of thing...

You don't know what you should know...to make a safe and or informed answere....

this is a safety issue weather you realize it or knot.

So I realize that saying "see a rigger," is viewed by many as just blowing you off, it is the safe thing to do as based upon how yo have asked this question.

Does that make sense?

I know you are excited about your new stuff and you have indicated your going to a rigger anyways. You efforts to learn about your equipment is a good thing! No actually it's a great thing!!!!

So in that event find your component parts manuals because this is detailed in detail there....in the assembly section. Or if you don't have the manuals that came with your gear...GET THEM! Many here will help you find your manuals despite the fact that most are on the web already...

The fact that you mention "extension" of your bridal concerns me, mostly because you have not provided any other information. Different manufacturers do things differently and because you haven't indicated the who what or where, you going to get a generic answere to your generic question. :)
C

The riggers FAA manual is also free on the web, it makes for interesting reading as well....

(You can do a search for the link.)
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

It's a Precision canopy and I'm hooking it up to a Velocity Sports container.

The Precision manual says absolutely nothing about attaching a pilot chute other than saying it should be a kill-line chute.

The Cazer manual (for the pilot chute) shows direct attachment to the metal ring on the pilot chute attachment point of the canopy, which does not exist in this case.

The Infinity manual gives sizing information and lists the Cazer as original and therefore appropriate replacement equipment.

Ultimately I guess I was just wondering if fabric against fabric was a bad idea or not as bad as another piece of metal in the bag.

Fabric against fabric is fine.
The primary function of the metal ring is to prevent the canopy from getting sucked up through the hole in the deployment bag (#5 grommet), however, if you are using a collapsible pilot-chute, than risk is reduced.

You got me regarding Jim Cazers design, cause he makes differing setups to your or the customers specifications, so a picture or someone else that is current can help there. Or the instructions that should have come with it...

UPT uses a larkshead and this saves using a link. Their method is in wide use and is next to impossible to come apart, I would say impossible, but someone somewhere will find a way, (I hope not) anyways anytime you can remove a failure point, that's a good thing.

So far the loop thru is working fine in thousands of rigs. The larkshead http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larks_head is a fabric to fabric connection that dosn't get any wear, or very little wear.

C

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/media/FAA-H-8083-17.pdf 2-11, 12, 13...

The issue is how does the bag stay attached? To the bridal so that the kill line functions?

You have actually raised an issue that the 2005 manual dosn't cover well as compared with some other pictiorial do it your self type repairs or assembly that are illustrated there. Again because you have expressed the fact that a lic rigger is going to inspect fully your learning experience, and you are going to point out everything and anything you have done,,??? Right??? This is the reason for the ring on many designs...

UPT is using a folded and sewn tape that you have to bend to push thru the grommet....The criticisms of this design are that it can be a little bit of a pain to rapidly change bags and such, but really how often do we actually do this?

Here is the instructions from Chuting Star for a Cazer:

http://www.chutingstar.com/expert-advice/skydive/rigging/30-cazer-pilot-chute-installation

Here is the utube link in case the Chuting Star link is inop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK1wdfJ-jQI
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."