SFBayArea

If you have Optima II alti, do you turn it off?

I am wondering how you guys take care of your Optima II battery life? Do you take it out of the helmet after your day of jumping and turn it off? Do you keep it in the helmet all the time and just let it turn off screen (after 14 hrs)?

What is the battery life like if you keep it constantly turned on?

skydiverek

> Do you keep it in the helmet all the time and just let it turn off screen (after 14 hrs)?

Yes.

What is the battery life expectancy if it is always turned on? Also, I assume once you board the plane and start ascending the altimeter wakes up and gives you a ring at 1k feet?

I had my Optima II batteries go flat after a couple of weeks of not being turned off. I emailed L&B about it and they said batteries should last 1-2 years without turning it off.
They said my unit must be faulty and replaced it straight away (Thanks L&B) and have only replaced the batteries once since then (3 years ago)

I had one last for 2.5 years. It was not turned off, but not jumped the entire time. I'm serious, I thought it was pretty amazing.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

SFBayArea

***> Do you keep it in the helmet all the time and just let it turn off screen (after 14 hrs)?

Yes.

What is the battery life expectancy if it is always turned on? Also, I assume once you board the plane and start ascending the altimeter wakes up and gives you a ring at 1k feet?

I got roughly a year and a half out of mine so far without turning it off!
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Ah! I've been wondering this too! I just started jumping it this season and am confused by the way the battery works. (Granted, I haven't taken the time to read the manual yet... I keep forgetting when I'm at home.)

If I leave it on when I leave the DZ (with a full battery), it will show low battery when I come back the next weekend. However, I've noticed if I then turn it off and back on, it says full battery life. No idea what's going on but hey, it works!

I have 6 of them, one in each student helmet plus one in each of my own.
No, I don't turn them off.
They go for approx 18 months. For the hassle and wear, I'd rather replace 12 batteries bought from eBay in cards of 12, for 25.00

Never. I have an older solo 2 that goes in the other ear that eats batteries. Replaced the batteries in both last weekend since I was doing it anyway for one. The Optima 2 still had two bars and it had just lost "full status" a few weeks ago. 14 months on one set with plenty if juice left