JerryBaumchen

Time between repacks

Hi out there in G & R,

It has been a number of years since I received an email from Mike Truffer about him using his reserve that had been packed for about five years. Everything worked perfectly.

I have a good friend who now has surpassed Mike's 'record;' he went six years, four months and seven days and had to use his reserve, which also worked perfectly.

I think I've got a jug of booze coming. Or does that tradition have an expiry date. :P

JerryBaumchen

I remember coming across something a while back about people searching out rigs that have been sitting in closets for years (20+ years kind of time frame) to go and have the reserves drop tested. All worked flawlessly.
"As soon as you're born you start dying. So you might as well, have a good time."
-CAKE

I'm crazy not stupid. There is a difference.

Someone gave me a few military style B-4 back packs last year that were used as civilian pilot rigs.

Packing cards revealed all were packed in the early to mid 70's. A couple of these would have worked just fine and were in mint condition, however a couple more were so stiff they probably would have only left he container on impact.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Hi pnuwin,

Did it open within 3sec or 300'?

I think he was just glad to be alive.

What kind of reserve was it?

I will not give out any further info; remember, the feds are listening. ;)

JerryBaumchen

PS) It is interesting on how many people have found really old pack jobs that have worked. However, I prefer this 'record' to be for actual saves. Just sayin'.

Now where's my Guinness World Records phone number? :P

JerryBaumchen

Hi pnuwin,

Did it open within 3sec or 300'?

I think he was just glad to be alive.

***What kind of reserve was it?

I will not give out any further info; remember, the feds are listening. ;)

JerryBaumchen

PS) It is interesting on how many people have found really old pack jobs that have worked. However, I prefer this 'record' to be for actual saves. Just sayin'.

Now where's my Guinness World Records phone number? :P

You're welcome to jump my SAC 22. Been packed since at least 1985 maybe longer I haven't looked recently.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be..
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I think I've got a jug of booze coming. Or does that tradition have an expiry date***
IMHO you packed him something that would save his life should he ever need it. It did so he owes you a fifth of your choice.
I know when my customers have had a cut away...they bring in a bottle first, then they go back out to their truck and bring in their gearB|

CRW Skies
Frank
CRW Diva #58

Last year I bought an old seat container that was manufactured in 1951 and last packed in 1966. We opened it up and it was perfect. The seal was still on it but with different thread than our red break thread. It broke. There were rubber bands and with a couple of exceptions, they were perfect too. They were made out of different material than any that I've seen on a rig and were wider. The canopy came right out and the pilot chute still had some kick to it.

It would have worked!

JerryBaumchen

Hi out there in G & R,

It has been a number of years since I received an email from Mike Truffer about him using his reserve that had been packed for about five years. Everything worked perfectly.

I have a good friend who now has surpassed Mike's 'record;' he went six years, four months and seven days and had to use his reserve, which also worked perfectly.

I think I've got a jug of booze coming. Or does that tradition have an expiry date. :P

JerryBaumchen