jumplongisland

Lets talk new gear!

Hello all I'm new to the DZ and have a few questions hopefully everyone can contribute to answering! I just started really jumping early this season and got my a license about a week ago. I'm in the market for a rig. Most of the jumps I have made so far have been on a 190 main and I can already say I'm wanting more under canopy. I'm right around 6'1 and weigh 185-190 lbs I have heard so many mixed view points on what to do about a first rig. Such as buy used and play around to see what containers and canopies you like to if you have the $ buy new you won't regret it. I have a nice chunk of change to drop on a rig and just wanted some more input from some experienced jumpers. What size main and reserve would best suit me 150-160-170? (stick with a 190)? Almost what brands do you have good experience with? What is hands down the most comfortable freefly container out there? And how would I size that for my personal specs? I know there are a couple websites like chuting star that have nice gear package deals and am not opposed to buyin all new. I just don't want to have to sacrifice comfort or what canopies would suit my needs best for a "deal" I found in the classifieds. Thanks in advance to anyone that responds for any help you can give me.

If you can afford new, buy new...your money. Just like cars, be prepared to take the big hit of depreciation.

There is no best manufacturer, shop/demo around.

WIng loading is an important consideration in gear, one that you should talk to instructors about. Considering your exit weight and experience a 190 may already be 'at your limit'.

This "first rig" question has been covered repeatedly here in the forums. Try searching for info.

Regarding canopy size.... I suggest that you read all 20+ pages of this:

http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf

Also regarding canopy size from the USPA SIM:

5. The following are suggested maximum wing loadings based on experience level:

a. A and B license 1.0 pounds per square foot (psf) maximum

b. C license 1.2 psf maximum

c. D license 1.4 psf maximum until demonstrated proficiency under canopy.

d. Jumpers should receive formal canopy training and consult with an S&TA before exceeding these recommendations.

6. Any parachute 150 square feet or smaller is considered a high-performance parachute and falls into the D license guideline regardless of the wing loading.

http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section5/tabid/168/Default.aspx#971

Don't miss reading this classic on downsizing:

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Canopy_Control/Downsizing_Checklist_47.html
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

My favorite way to think about reserve canopy sizing is this:

If I am unconscious, can my reserve likely land me safely with the brakes stowed and no input from me? (Assuming that I don't hit an obstacle.)

This MAY mean a bigger main than reserve! Note that this scenario completely removes your skill level from the reserve sizing equation.

A high quality reserve seems expensive until 0.25 seconds after you pull the cutaway handle.

See an interesting recent discussion of reserve canopy flight here:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4524110;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

jumplongisland

Most of the jumps I have made so far have been on a 190 main and I can already say I'm wanting more under canopy. I'm right around 6'1 and weigh 185-190 lbs

This is not what you want to hear, but the 190 is already probably a little on the small side for someone who weighs 185 with less than a hundred jumps. Your wing loading is probably already over 1.1:1 on that thing. This is not even conservative advice!

The fact that you already want a little more under canopy does not change that! You can give yourself more performance, trust me. Hopefully only when you actually want to :P

If you are not sure what the term "wing loading" means, start your search for more information there, it will help you understand what you're looking for.

Happy shopping, looking for your first rig is a bit of a trek but the end result is awesome B|
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

If you've got the cash then go for it. I bought new for my first rig and 9 years later bought another brand new one. Depreciation wise I've not lost hideous amounts of money given the length of time I've had it (though the £-$ exchange rate was better 10 years ago).

One thing to consider is that the PD Optimum reserve and Paratec Speed reserves are low pack volume and the PD Pulse is a low pack volume main. This means that you could buy a brand new container that was sized for a smaller canopy but put a bigger canopy in it for now. This'll mean that you won't need to change your container if and when you downsize and you can have an enormous reserve as a welcome bonus.

This is what I did but since this is my first downsize in 10 years of jumping I don't know if I'll be getting any smaller.