ChadF

FreeFly Handle Stowing

I've asked this question of instructors and packers at the DZ and had mixed feedback.... figured I'd see what the peeps here had to say:

Got about a dozen jumps on my G4, which I ordered with a FF handle. The loft packed the FF handle Tab in the BOC. I've had the packing tent pack it in both the BOC and with the tab part tucked into the container itself (obviously directly adjacent to the BOC opening).

Both are very secure. The tab is wide enough that it's nice and snug in the BOC with the pilot chute. Stowed in the container, it seems a little more secure. Neither require anything special to pull. But now that I'm finally getting damn good at getting this slippery Sabre2 in the bag (and ready to stop paying for "compression sessions"), I want to be consistent and pick one.

Any thoughts on one vs the other?

Thanks for feedback!

Always seen it packed and packed mine with the tab tucked under the right flap on the container, not the boc pouch. Never tried tucking it in the boc pouch but I don't think that's how it's designed. Part of the FF friendly aspect I believe is to cover the small section of bridle going from the boc pouch to the container flap which would not be covered if you tuck it into the boc pouch.

I pack this type of handle for three different jumpers on a regular basis.

One of them prefers the tab securely tucked under the container flap, he says it gives him extra piece of mind when freeflying (he also changes his closing loop regularly). This is on a Mirage.

One of the jumpers is a female with small hands and she isn't able to easily pull out the PC when the tab is tucked so she likes it inside the BOC. She does freefly as well as belly/camera like this. Also a Mirage.

The third feels the handle is more secure when tucked in the BOC. This container is a Vortex and the handle sits somewhat awkwardly when the tab is tucked under the flap.

If you have no real preference I'd say go with the intended use and tuck it under the container flap. If I had a Mirage or Wings I would tuck, if I had a Vortex I would shove it in the BOC.

For more PC security, tuck it into the container, not the BOC. The reason for the tab is so that the PC cannot "walk out" of the BOC while on the plane or in the air. Although you will have some security with the tab tucked into the BOC, now you have a system where pushing the entire PC+pud unit to the right (viewing the jumper from the back) will result in the PC coming out. Tuck the pud into the container adjacent to the BOC, and now you have a system where, whether you get a push/tug/whatever to the right or left, and the PC is not going to come out of the BOC.

adamUK

I've tried both in my wings. In the container flap it is tough to get in and really hard to deploy, so much so one jump I pulled unstably and ended up in twists. I tuck it in the boc pouch now.

I use to have a wings and experienced a couple hard pulls. when I first packed the pud I would tuck it into the slit under the container flap, (where the tab is suppose to go) this was always trouble for me, I ended up tucking it under the right side flap and didn't struggle anymore. I sold the wings and got a micron, tuck under flap there as well
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121