arlo

skydiving falcon on National Geographic NOW

Started out with a quiz before the commercial break, "Can you breathe at terminal velocity?" type of questions. They came back on saying yes, it is possible if you need to, but at those speeds you can absorb O2 through the skin. But falling through clouds can cause suffocation...yada yada. The thing that cracks me up the most is that the narrator has jumped before on a National Geographic special they had with footage from the WFFC (it's actually on Pilotdaves server)

I would still ove to see it on TV. its a different video(at least ther narration if)
Funny I fell through a cloud and I didnt suffocate?
maybe the narrator never did that:S
maybe the network forced him to say that...you as to make for some GOOD tv!
who knows[:/]
My photos

My Videos

Damn!!!!! I missed it!! Any ideas of when a repeat will be?????? crap crap crap!!!!

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

Hager--
Is that something they said too or is that just one of the folklores you were told when you started out?

Ill tell you one thing. the carbonation from the beer will "burst" out of you. that why I dont like drinking the night b4 a Jump day...:$
My photos

My Videos

I've heard about the guy who has his falcon follow the plane and then dive after him in freefall. Does anybody know where I can find fottage/pics of this? I'd love to see just how they go about the whole ordeal and well the bird does to keep up..

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I got seriously upset when I heard the answer to that quiz! I swear some people! I always thought NG did some good research on their shows. I have a sense of non-belief now. I've loved watching the shows and enjoy most of the topics. The pictures and footage they spill into the airwaves is awesome. But, now I have to think that the "shit" they are spewing from their mouths is not to be trusted.

I am dissapointed and mildly bent because of that crap. Get some intern to research your facts before telling the viewing public totaly inacurate information.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Email I sent... I may be a dork skydiver but I figured I'd send them something. I really got upset.

Hiya,

I'm a skydiver in Houston Texas and was watching your show Sunday night July 21st 02` on MSNBC at 7pm, which I do on a regular basis. I truly enjoyed the piece on the skydivers & the Peregrine falcon called Terminal Velocity. Where NG followed as a group was trying to find out how fast a Peregrine Falcon flies towards the earth. Along with the video shot by Norman Kent. I thought it was very interesting.

BUT you guys at NG got one of your facts incorrect during a "quiz" asked before a commercial. The question was a True or False one. I might not get all the words correctly but I just wanted to correct you.

True or False
"Can a skydiver breathe during terminal velocity freefall?" NG's answer was FALSE. Then went on to explain that we can't breath because the forces on us are to great and we absorb o2 through our skin. This is totally FALSE. Also it went on to say skydivers don't jump on cloudy days because if we fall through a cloud we take the chance on suffocating because water droplets form on the skin and we can't absorb o2? Again FALSE.

As a skydiver with a number of jumps I can truthfully tell you right now that we do and CAN breathe in freefall. I have reached terminal velocities of 190mph and more flying in a head-down position. I was breathing just fine. That's one of the relaxation processes you use to relax in freefall so your not tense. Also, not flying through clouds is another misconception. The reason skydivers do not jump/fly on cloudy days isn't because we're afraid of suffocation. It's because it's an FAA regulation. Skydivers may not jump out over clouds and give a certain amount of space between clouds for safety reason. Site being the biggest. So we {and other air traffic} can see the ground and everything around {flying} in our decent to the landing area. There are FAR Regulations issued by the FAA that I'm not supplying but I will if requested.

I figured I would just drop a note so you can in the future research your facts a bit better. I'm a long time fan of the show. However now I have this feeling inside some of the facts I've been told through the show and it's episodes are somehow not based on real facts.

Regards,
Shawn Collins
Houston, Texas

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

just how they go about the whole ordeal and well the bird does to keep up..

Actually the bird rides to altitude with the plane. They have the eyes covered so it's not too spooked by the plane and all the movement. Once they reach exit altitude they uncover the head/eyes and he throws it out the plane. The bird hardly loses any alti and fly right up behind the plane. Then the divers exit the plane. They usually get stable the bird does a predatory dive towards the skydiver and he releases a decoy. The falcon then dives down and snatches the decoy out of the air and stays in a dive till it pulls out and lands to eat the prey/decoy.

The Peregrine Falcon is a predatory bird and eats other birds. It's attack is a diving swoop from above directly at the prey in the air. It's a wild thing to see.

anybody know where I can find fottage/pics of this?

Yea go buy NOrmen kents "willing to fly" video

Actually the bird rides to altitude with the plane. They have the eyes covered so it's not too spooked by the plane and all the movement. Once they reach exit altitude they uncover the head/eyes and he throws it out the plane. The bird hardly loses any alti and fly right up behind the plane. Then the divers exit the plane. They usually get stable the bird does a predatory dive towards the skydiver and he releases a decoy. The falcon then dives down and snatches the decoy out of the air and stays in a dive till it pulls out and lands to eat the prey/decoy.

The Peregrine Falcon is a predatory bird and eats other birds. It's attack is a diving swoop from above directly at the prey in the air. It's a wild thing to see.

are you sure abou this? I was trying to figure out how they got the bird up there but in willing to fly they show the bird chasing the air craft. wouldnt the wind mess up the birds wings? I mean going from no wind IN the cessna to 80-90 MPH when it exits... I know the bird is falling faster then terminal but it gradually gets up to that speed... I wondered how they got it up there but I thought they trained it somehow to follow the toy in the divers hand? hmm
My photos

My Videos

i saw the video the owner just throws the bird out and the bird recovers and starts flying next to the plane
neat video the bird had a protrack attached to it back to mesure speed(the protrack was slimmed down for weight ie taken out of its case.
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

Yup the bird rides in the plane to altitude. and the diver has a decoy in his hand that he releases as the bird dives at him. I thought, the bird was trained to follow the plane too when I saw the "Willing to Fly" video but it's not the case. It actually goes to altitude in the plane, doesn't seem to bother it much when it's tossed out the door either. it grabs air and stays right with the plane. *shrugs*

Slappie,

I saw part of this NG too, as I was trying to rock my daughter to sleep. When they got to the absorbing air through the skin, I just about barfed. Like you, I lost some respect for them for not checking the facts on such a prominently placed question in the show.

Still cool to watch the falcon dive though.