SFBayArea

Helmet fitting question

Hey guys, got my G3 helmet today. I ordered it in large. When I measured my head it looked that I am close to the top range of fitting on the large size, however, I thought it is better that is not loose. Well, I barely can put this helmet on me. It is really tight. Is that how it is supposed to be or should I have a little wiggle room in the helmet?

My measurement was an L size on the chart but when the Large helmet arrived I realised it was going to be too much of a struggle to get in and out of it every jump and the strap was too tight across my throat.
I returned it to Cookie (un-jumped and un-used) and they sent me an XL instead (super quick turn around and they didn't charge me for the postage for the second one - Thanks Cookie).
It was absolutely the right decision. When I do up the strap, it clinches the back of the helmet around my head and holds the helmet securely with no discernible movement in free fall. The audibles are barely noticeable.
Obviously everyone's head shape is different but I can measure my head again (I forget what it was) if you like.
Can you try an XL at the DZ? (make sure you pull out the strap to the right to clinch it)

Cookie's sizing chart is ridiculous.
Go a size or 2 up from what you think.

I've only ever taken a M-L for motorbike helmets and ordered an XL Ozone based on measurements. I had to sell it and get an XXL. Every other helmet manufacturer from all sports I've never taken more than an L.

SFBayArea

***Was the same for me. It's pretty tight but not uncomfortable. Haven't had any problems.

So, is that the trend, has to be really, really tight?

bro, if it's really really tight that's not a trend..that's uncomfortable.
what color is it? I'll buy it off ya if it doesn't fit. :|

GooniesKid

******Was the same for me. It's pretty tight but not uncomfortable. Haven't had any problems.

So, is that the trend, has to be really, really tight?

bro, if it's really really tight that's not a trend..that's uncomfortable.
what color is it? I'll buy it off ya if it doesn't fit. :|
Yeah, it is really, really tight. I tried installing audible Optima II in it and could not fit the head with the audible in it so I guess my head is XL melon :-).
By the way, it is matte black.

Didn't people advise you a week ago to head to a local gear store and try out a helmet and even point you to a store in your area?

How'd that work out for you?

Oh, you mean you ordered it online without ever trying it on? Sucks to be you.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Trev_S

Cookie's sizing chart is ridiculous.
Go a size or 2 up from what you think.

Agreed their chart is ridiculous, but go UP a size or 2?! I measured my head for Cookie's helmet and according to the chart I was a XXL. When I actually got to try them on, I was a L.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

NWFlyer

Didn't people advise you a week ago to head to a local gear store and try out a helmet and even point you to a store in your area?

your sarchasim is wonderful....:)
personally I have been asked by some students recently to try my helmet for size....

(It's a XXXXXXXLarge....;) )

this begs the question of at any DZ why isn't this done on a more regular basis?

Cooties?

C

Or does this illustrate a laarger problem with asking for help?
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

NWFlyer

Thanks for great advise!

The "local shop" that was advised to me last week is hour and a half away from me that is first. Second, it is not a shop, it is a drop zone, I called them, they did not have G3 helmets.
Before you flame newbie try and get your facts straight.

To the rest of the guys who really tried to help - THANK YOU! I believe that is why forum exist - to ask questions and help each other out.
I called shooting star this morning and ordered XL.

NWFlyer

LOL! nice,,exactly what i would have said. Speaking of saying stuff how come when I say things like this i'm called a "troll", jerk, ahole, people start talking about my good looks.
But as soon as others say something like this, it's ok? [:/]

GooniesKid

***Didn't people advise you a week ago to head to a local gear store and try out a helmet and even point you to a store in your area?

LOL! nice,,exactly what i would have said. Speaking of saying stuff how come when I say things like this i'm called a "troll", jerk, ahole, people start talking about my good looks.
But as soon as others say something like this, it's ok? [:/]

Apparently I'm being mean to the newbie, so it's not okay. ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

SFBayArea

***Didn't people advise you a week ago to head to a local gear store and try out a helmet and even point you to a store in your area?

Thanks for great advise!

The "local shop" that was advised to me last week is hour and a half away from me that is first. Second, it is not a shop, it is a drop zone, I called them, they did not have G3 helmets.

To the rest of the guys who really tried to help - THANK YOU! I believe that is why forum exist - to ask questions and help each other out.

Well, there were several posts in that thread that specifically said to try a helmet on before you buy one.

It was specifically stated that different brands of helmets will fit differently shaped heads better than others.

That Cookie has strange sizes (you need to order at least one, sometimes two and occasionally three sizes over) is widely known.

You couldn't wait a week to try on a few at the DZ?

It gets a little tiresome when advice is asked for, then ignored when given, then more advice is asked for. :|

But, hey, as with everything else, YMMV.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

******Didn't people advise you a week ago to head to a local gear store and try out a helmet and even point you to a store in your area?

Thanks for great advise!

Well, there were several posts in that thread that specifically said to try a helmet on before you buy one.

It was specifically stated that different brands of helmets will fit differently shaped heads better than others.

That Cookie has strange sizes (you need to order at least one, sometimes two and occasionally three sizes over) is widely known.

You couldn't wait a week to try on a few at the DZ?

It gets a little tiresome when advice is asked for, then ignored when given, then more advice is asked for. :|

But, hey, as with everything else, YMMV.

I love it when advise is given here and whoever is asking for the advise totally goes 180. Begs to ask, so who's trolling who? :|

it's like those "i'm new what rig should i buy" threads.

Somone: looking for advise on a new rig,,i just finished my first jump AFF
Forums : you should really finish up AFF and work on getting licensed
Somone : oh ok! thanks for the advise

1 week later.

Somone : hey i just finished my 2nd jump and i ordered my custom rig with a 210! and i weight 250lbs!

I always break my wrist face palming whenever i'm on this forum.

No one is FLAMING a newbie here....so take a chill pill and relax...

Some of us have concerns and this is for anyone, not just you about the effort and amount of information available to anyone here and out in the jumping world.

There is a lot of information out there, and this exact issue has been discussed in other posts many times. As you can see there are a number of wonderful people, knowing this have offered some help anyways.

In skydiving travelling over an hour and bitching about it isn't going to get you anywhere! Many individuals would love to only have to travel 2 hours to get to a place to jump!

We all already know that Chuting Star has a written policy regarding sizing at the time you place your order, we all already know this. You question is kind of awkward in this regard??? It's like holding up a sign saying that you didn't take the time to read their policy and now you are bitching here. Which is fine, cause someone will generally take the time to answere your question anyways.

I have a concern that at your local DZ you didn't try on various sizes before you made your purchase, its not about you, it's more about the culture and factors about trying on different pieces of personal gear. There are in fact people that don't want to lend their helmets to others because it's like sharing a toothbrush, ecch! That's them and that's ok. But there are others that won't even ask anyone else because for whatever reason they won't even ask...

I am sure that "NWFlyer" has a concern for any other events and issues you may have, but from a place of concern, she is not flaming you, she see's something that many of us see and that is regarding your approach and the amount of effort as compared with asking others for advice. To me it seems that you lack a little effort on your part as compared with just asking the public for advice. It raises issues about your commitment and personal responsibility? This is just a thought, I'm not making any personal judgments here...:)
It has become way to easy to ask any and every question that pops into your head, say anyones' head, not you. Which again is fine, lots of people have lots of questions, we are all hear to help after all.

No one is stopping you from asking anything!

And no-one is or wants to discourage any question.

But understand this, to anyone contemplating purchasing a Katana at 100 jumps, We are not going to help you nor are we going to answere your questions with a straight face. And or without a bit of playfull jesting.

Sometimes, well not sometimes but a lot of times some people hold up a sign by the way the question is asked. Or the one that particurlly bugs me are questions that at a certain experience level, implies that you should already know the answere.

Sometimes we forget that some less experienced people do this inadvertiantly by the way they ask a question.

What I find surprising is the fact that you left out Chuting Star in your first question? Yes I understand your question about tightness and how to judge what is or isn't too tight. But this is an answere that you only find out by you and you alone trying on a number of different helmets. It's a bit of a subjective thing.

Another way of looking at this is asking publicly "what size underwear should I buy." I'm being serious here....how would the majority of people answere if they knew you never wore any underwear before as compared with someone from an American culture who has worn hundreds if not thousands of the things?

It would be like wearing two sizes too tight and suffering because someone else told you that was normal ?

It looks like you have figured something out for yourself, which is everyones' goal in the end. Perhaps you should be thanking NWFlyir and goonies kid after all! ;)

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

SFBayArea

As others have pointed out an hour and a half isn't that far. I regularly drive from the Bay Area up to SkyDance (which has the Action Air gear store on site). So I know the drive. :)
I may come off as a grumpy old fart, but look, I get it. I remember being brand new and totally stoked to get all my gear, and being just impatient enough so that I did some less-than-advisable things like measuring myself for my first jumpsuit. I lucked out and it actually fit me reasonably well, but having now been measured by pros multiple times for jumpsuits, I know exactly how hard it is to get those measurements right even when someone else is measuring you.

Other than that, though, I erred on the side of caution and took full advantage of my local dropzone resources to help me through the rest of my gear purchases. I bought a helmet (new) at the local DZ (which had two benefits - I could try it on and I could support my local dealer). I worked with a couple of local riggers that I trusted to help me evaluate used gear on the dropzone.com classifieds. I was patient, and I was fortunate to find a really nice deal on a barely-used container and reserve. (BTW, I still have that container and still jump it regularly, though it's now my backup. Point is, 8+ years later it was a really smart investment because I was patient and worked with trusted people to make a good choice).

I don't know where you jump in Northern California, but I find it hard to believe that your local dropzone doesn't have someone that you can work with to help you find gear (okay, well, I can think of one, maybe two, dropzones where you might be hard pressed to find "wise counsel" but that's another topic altogether;)). If there's not someone willing to help out, maybe think about jumping somewhere else. [:/]

Buying online can be a great thing, and I've got nothing whatsoever against Chutingstar (I've used them myself several times). But I only buy online when I know exactly what I want, and in the case of something where fit is important, I've "tried before I buy." I bought my own Cookie full-face from Chutingstar a couple of years ago, but that was after I'd tried the helmet on at PIA to determine my exact size.

I made the same mistake. Took it into a gear shop and they let me trade it pout for an XL since my L was still brand new. Gotta Love Deland!

The XL is the first of the larger shell size. That's what really makes the difference between L and XL. I suggest you sell your L on the classifieds if you can't return it and go bigger. My XL fits loose enough to be comfy but doesn't move in free fall when buckled so I'm happy with it. It's great in the tunnel too!