napalmboy

Slider keeper illegal?

I moved recently and found myself a new rigger. When I picked up my rig today from being repacked, he told me (not unkindly) that the magnetic slider keeper I had over the reserve flap is illegal, since the system wasn't designed to have a slider keeper there and thus the whole thing is in violation of the TSO.

This is the first I've ever heard of slider keepers being illegal. Does this jive with other people's understanding of the rules? Or is this one of those cases where I shouldn't have asked so I wouldn't have to hear the answer? ;)
Well, the door was open...

I have never heard that it's illegal. There are concerns about being 'attached' so to speak to the flap but I really don't think the rigger police are going to pull you over. Like already mentioned, you can sew it to the binding tape of the yoke....but then it's more premanent.
my pics & stuff!

Attached to the top flap, or the cover flap? These are common and generally accepted. Did your previous rigger install it, or did you?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Double negative, not unkindly seems to imply that he wasn't a dick about it, instead he just mentioned by the way, you should be aware that this may make your whole system bust the TSO.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Some early slider-keepers were too strong and there was a risk of main-reserve entanglement.

Newer, magnetic slider-keepers are more consistent, so consistent that Rigging Innovations offers magnetic slider-keepers as a factory-option on the latest Voodoo Curv harness/container.

As for me, I still prefer my slider-catchers sewn to my main risers. There are three or four popular patterns of slider-catchers that can be easily sewn to main risers and will disappear as soon as you pull your cutaway handle.