Pinky2

Beginner's Canopy

I'm not bitter bro,,,just annoyed and think the answer "try using the search feature" is warrente

It's one thing to suggest the search button

And then ...

or here
www.google.com

oh i'm sorry, you don't know who Germain is? I thought you did all the "legwork" Unimpressed

Compared to OP you do not have limited experience.
Don't you ever EVER put yourself down like that.

looks like you had a pretty bad week ;)

Cheers!

I talked it over with ChutingStar and my instructors and ended up with a Pulse. It's a little easier to pack, has great on-heading openings with moderate snivel, and flies beautifully. I'm a new jumper and I certainly haven't flown a bunch of different canopies but I like it a lot and have heard similar reviews from other jumpers.

It's worth considering the PD pulse as it's a low pack volume canopy which means you can have a bigger canopy in the same sized container. This means you may not have to change your container too often if/when you downsize thus saving $$$$. It's easier to pack than a 100% ZP canopy too.

Check out the PD Silhouette which fits your 9 cell requirement. Demo one if you get the chance. It's not as well known, so you might have to look around. I like it for its glide and consistent openings.
--------------------------
That which can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

guitar_nut

Check out the PD Silhouette which fits your 9 cell requirement. Demo one if you get the chance. It's not as well known, so you might have to look around. I like it for its glide and consistent openings.

Loooooooooove my silhouette. Easy to pack, opens great, easy to fly and land at a lil over 1:1. Definitely demo one.

guitar_nut

ya consistent openings are a great feature for a parachute :D

rofl, then stop downsizing until you work out what the problems are ;)

here's a general list of modernish 9-cell canopies that are mellow when lightly loaded:

Sabre 1 (get one w/pocketed or oversized slider unless you like fast openings)
Sabre 2 (the "benchmark", it's a PD canopy, no downside, fly the opening for best results)
Silhouette (easy to pack, no drama, won't last as long though)
Pulse (even easier to pack; waiting for mine to arrive!)
Safire 1 (w/brake line mod opens _really_ slow, loved mine, drama free)
Safire 2 (solid choice, good resale)
Pilot (solid choice, good resale)
Lotus (rare, airlocked, flies great, can be a pain on a windy day, rare)
Fusion (similar to Nitron but less aggressive, no complaints)

If the canopy's name sounds like something related to a deadly weapon, an explosive material, something to do speed, etc it's best to avoid it for a while. :P

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

The ZP part isn't the issue, IIRC the bottomskin is made of F-111... if you buy it new it's no problem but one with a lot of jumps on it (many, many hundreds, packed outdoors, lots of off-landings, etc) might exhibit a weaker flare or other quirks compared to a similarly aged ZP canopy like a Sabre 2.

I jumped some pretty haggard rental canopies including some Silhouttes in various sizes and they all landed fine though. Most issues can be solved with a brake line replacement or a full reline since Spectra goes out of trim pretty fast. But that said, a docile canopy won't really care as much if it's going out of trim versus some HMA-lined swoop machine. When in doubt ask a rigger you trust to check it out which usually costs somewhere between a case of :D and $20.

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Thanks for the info; I was worried I had overlooked something critical on my canopy. Mine had about 50 jumps on it when I picked it up so I've got plenty of lifespan left.
--------------------------
That which can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

mattjw916

The ZP part isn't the issue, IIRC the bottomskin is made of F-111... if you buy it new it's no problem but one with a lot of jumps on it (many, many hundreds, packed outdoors, lots of off-landings, etc) might exhibit a weaker flare or other quirks compared to a similarly aged ZP canopy like a Sabre 2.

I jumped some pretty haggard rental canopies including some Silhouttes in various sizes and they all landed fine though. Most issues can be solved with a brake line replacement or a full reline since Spectra goes out of trim pretty fast. But that said, a docile canopy won't really care as much if it's going out of trim versus some HMA-lined swoop machine. When in doubt ask a rigger you trust to check it out which usually costs somewhere between a case of :D and $20.

This is true