SFBayArea

Which altimeter to buy?

Hey guys, I am new to the skydiving. Still have one more jump to do to start jumping on my own. However, I want to start gathering my own equipment, at least small staff for now.
Hence, I was thinking one of the first things (besides helmet) would be the altimeter. Which one would you suggest?
Would be nice to have a device that can give the audible alarms (I am getting a G3 helmet) yet have a good altimeter reading to clearly see it during the free-fall. Plus I think the battery or re-charge life is important, no? O and of course it should be accurate :-).
What would you suggest?

I would suggest L&B Optima or solo as audible. Depending on wether or not you wish to have alarms under canopy. May or may not be useful to you. Very accurate and reliable, batteries last for a year or so. N3 or pro track if you want some freefall speeds or similar, but you'll get bored with that stuff quite soon anyway..

Analog altimeter wrist mounted would be my choise for primary alti. Many good brands around. Digital altis take too much time to read imo. Altitrack would work too and again you get some geek stuff with it.. And more batteries to change.

It is strange that the quattro and optima II are the same price.

I'm not convinced that a rechargeable battery is a positive feature overall compared to a regular battery.

For digital visual altis, I like the display of the Neptune II much better than the Viso II in actual use. I suppose that means that I'd also like the N3, but the older Neptune is so much cheaper to pick up on the used market.

When I tried digital visual altis, I didn't know if I'd find them easier to read or not, but after trying them, there is no way that I want to go back to analog. Everyone has their own reasons to like or not like digital vs analog, and people think differently about which is "faster/easier" to read, so don't take other people's word on what which is better for you.

However, there is some good rationale for keeping an analog for when you don't have so many jumps. Fortunately, they are easy to pick up used for no more than $100, and can be resold for that years later. The Galaxy is the "standard" of visual altis and is really nice in that the lens can be swapped out for $8.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Buy an Altimaster, the big original one. Used they go for about $50-65. The ones made by SSE are ancient but still work fine. Bullet proof. Alti-2 makes a later version which is also a fine instrument.

No batteries. No micro controllers. No code. Just an aneroid element that gear drives a pointer. Dirt simple, rugged, accurate enough.

Used military MA2-30s are good buys too. Usually around $100. You can strip off the batt pack if you'll never use the night lights. It is a superb altimeter and good to 30,000 ft. The civilan Altimasters are only good to 18,000 ft. The one disadvantage of an MA2-30 is a fragile pointer shaft. It can break if you drop it.

Once you have a basic mech altimeter then look at fancier electronic ones. L&B makes great stuff.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Ok here's what I did. I first bought a galaxy, then got a g3 helmet and stuffed a solo2 in the ear pocket. Then I bought a n2 for my hand and moved the galaxy to a mudflap mount. I love them all. The only problem I have with the n2 is the battery meter doesn't read correctly, sometimes it reads low when the next time I use it it has a full battery again

Galaxy...
Analog is always good to have in your gear bag, for those days you go to the DZ and the battery is dead. Saved me plenty of times. So, get this as a start, and move on, keep it.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

potatoman

Galaxy...
Analog is always good to have in your gear bag, for those days you go to the DZ and the battery is dead. Saved me plenty of times. So, get this as a start, and move on, keep it.

^^^^ This ^^^^

I got a Galaxy first. Good to use while you're still low on jump numbers, cheap, and similar in look to the ones you're probably used to from AFF.

Then I decided I wanted an audible. I had a thought that eventually I'd want a digital visual altimeter, so I bought an N3 and stuck it in my helmet while keeping the Galaxy on my wrist. Great system that I used for a while.

Later, I decided it was time to put the N3 on my wrist. As others have said, whether analog or digital is "faster" to read is rather individual to you. For me, digital is faster. So I put the N3 on my wrist and got an Optima II for my helmet. It's a great audible and cheaper (and thinner -- made a difference in comfort in my G3!) than the N3.

Every once in a while I'm glad I kept the Galaxy in my gear bag instead of selling it. Whether a friend can't find his alti and won't be able to jump with me without borrowing mine or the battery in my N3 is dead, it's great to still have around.

sundevil777

It is strange that the quattro and optima II are the same price.

I'm not convinced that a rechargeable battery is a positive feature overall compared to a regular battery.

For digital visual altis, I like the display of the Neptune II much better than the Viso II in actual use. I suppose that means that I'd also like the N3, but the older Neptune is so much cheaper to pick up on the used market.

When I tried digital visual altis, I didn't know if I'd find them easier to read or not, but after trying them, there is no way that I want to go back to analog. Everyone has their own reasons to like or not like digital vs analog, and people think differently about which is "faster/easier" to read, so don't take other people's word on what which is better for you.

However, there is some good rationale for keeping an analog for when you don't have so many jumps. Fortunately, they are easy to pick up used for no more than $100, and can be resold for that years later. The Galaxy is the "standard" of visual altis and is really nice in that the lens can be swapped out for $8.

What is the rationale to have analog altimeter for a new jumper comparing to have a digital one? What are the drawbacks of the digital altimeter that makes you suggest analog to a newbie?

I can't speak for everyone, but I can read an analog alti out of the corner of my eye while waving my arm around and doing other things.

I've misread my digital alti, with which I have about 700 jumps, several times, even while pointing my head straight at it.

The digital one is super lightweight and is great under canopy. But the analog one (though I don't generally wear it unless with a student) is definitely better at the simple part, telling me where I am in freefall. I definitely would recommend it over a digital, for a newer jumper.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Guys, thank you for tons of responses.

Those of you who use analog and digital/sound warning in the helmet, how do you set it up? Must be a dumb question, but I don't understand how it works. Does every digital unit comes with the additional ear piece for the helmet? If so don't you need to carry the main unit on you when you jump so it sends signal to your ear? If that is the case, do you wear analog on one hand and digital on another, or do you stash digital in the packet somewhere?

The visual alti and the audible are 2 separate, distinct pieces of gear.

The work separately, are not connected or anything like that.

The visual is there to give you an indication of your altitude whenever you look at it (most wear it on their wrists). The audible is there to give you a warning when you get to a certain altitude you present before you jump (the audible fits in a pocket inside your helmet). Having a unit beep on your wrist wont do you any good.

Having 2 distinct units also gives you redundancy in case one decides to crap out on you (it happens)
Remster

Guys, thank you for tons of responses.

Those of you who use analog and digital/sound warning in the helmet, how do you set it up? Must be a dumb question, but I don't understand how it works. Does every digital unit comes with the additional ear piece for the helmet? If so don't you need to carry the main unit on you when you jump so it sends signal to your ear? If that is the case, do you wear analog on one hand and digital on another, or do you stash digital in the packet somewhere?

They are separate units. Some like the Neptune 2/3 can be used as EITHER a visual altimiter OR an audible (in ear alarm sounding) but not as both at the same time. Then there are those like the VISO and Altitron that are just visuals and those like the Solo, Optima, and Protrack that are just audible.

I disagree with the advise to buy an Altimaster 2.

I bought one and took good care of it. Soon after the needle started sticking and I have to tap it to get it to move. People on the plane ALWAYS point to it like WTF? because it's way off then I tap it and it moves to the correct altitude. Instructors are always like "yeah.. they all do that"

It's a piece of shit.

Ok, I am totally confused. Are Optima and Solo comes with main unit and helmet piece? If so, how do you program helmet piece without the main unit?
I am looking at Solo II and Optima II both seems to have visual units.
http://www.l-and-b.dk/products/audible/optima_ii
http://www.l-and-b.dk/products/audible/solo_ii

Are those pictures of the unit that I am seeing at the L&B site is the actual picture of the unit that goes in your helmet? It looks rather big, no? Also, if this unit goes in your helmet, why do you even need those visual indications of your altitude?

SFBayArea

Ok, I am totally confused. Are Optima and Solo comes with main unit and helmet piece? If so, how do you program helmet piece without the main unit?

Are those pictures of the unit that I am seeing at the L&B site is the actual picture of the unit that goes in your helmet? It looks rather big, no? Also, if this unit goes in your helmet, why do you even need those visual indications of your altitude?

The display on the Solo and Optima is used for setting the altitudes where you want the alarms to happen and to adjust other settings. The display is not used to monitor the altitude, except in the case of the Neptune/N3 which switches to a mode where the digits get much bigger/take up the whole screen when in active alti display mode.

There is no separate unit ("main unit" vs "helmet piece"), the sound comes out of the back of the unit, which is placed in the helmet. There is only one exception, the N3A, which uses ordinary earbuds, but that is not very common.

The Solo and Optima are actually very small.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

sundevil777

***Ok, I am totally confused. Are Optima and Solo comes with main unit and helmet piece? If so, how do you program helmet piece without the main unit?

The display on the Solo and Optima is used for setting the altitudes where you want the alarms to happen and to adjust other settings. The display is not used to monitor the altitude, except in the case of the Neptune/N3 which switches to a mode where the digits get much bigger/take up the whole screen when in active alti display mode.

There is no separate unit ("main unit" vs "helmet piece"), the sound comes out of the back of the unit, which is placed in the helmet. There is only one exception, the N3A, which uses ordinary earbuds, but that is not very common.

The Solo and Optima are actually very small.

Thank you. Finally it is clear to me.

So between Solo II and Optima II, Optima seems to be the main choice? Is that because Optima has canopy alarms and Solo does not?
How useful those canopy alarms, especially landing ones for newbie like me?

Also, where do you guys find used analogs? I've only seen few on the ebay, any other source? Dropzone, does not have classified section like most forums do, is there any other forums you know that have classified sections to pick up good used equipment from jumpers?

SFBayArea

Hey guys, I am new to the skydiving. Still have one more jump to do to start jumping on my own. However, I want to start gathering my own equipment, at least small staff for now.
Hence, I was thinking one of the first things (besides helmet) would be the altimeter. Which one would you suggest?
Would be nice to have a device that can give the audible alarms (I am getting a G3 helmet) yet have a good altimeter reading to clearly see it during the free-fall. Plus I think the battery or re-charge life is important, no? O and of course it should be accurate :-).
What would you suggest?

I have been extremely with my FreeFall Accessories Altimeter. It is analog and has worked flawlessly for the years I have used it. I worked with them and have a custom face. Great service and if you are looking at an analog unit take a look... http://www.freefallaccessories.com/altimeters.html

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

If you have the money to drop:

Viso II on the wrist:
http://www.l-and-b.dk/products/visual/viso_ii
Optima II in the dome:

You will likely end up with the Viso and Optima down the road anyways.

If you can't afford it, then go for cheap used analog for less then $100. They are all pretty awful. lol
Love watching people smack their analogs in the plane because the indicator is stuck lol

Also, learn to use your eyes.

Joellercoaster

I can't speak for everyone, but I can read an analog alti out of the corner of my eye while waving my arm around and doing other things.

^^This.
I don't have to stare and focus on it to determine, "Is that a 6 or an 8?"
Plus my analog presents to problem to my polarized goggles.

I definitely would recommend it over a digital, for a newer jumper.

^^This.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239